X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmarb
    • Dec 2008

RSP-1570 future firmware upgrades?

After reading that the flagship Denon processor is to get a firmware upgrade for 3D, prologic IIz and Audyssey dsx later in the year, anyone know if Rotel are thinking about getting the licences and would be able to offer a similar upgrade for the 1570 (does the electronics allow?) or will it be a left for a launch of a new processor?
  • Anovak
    • Dec 2008

Very good question.....and, that would be really nice - BUT in my experience owning the 1570 for a couple years now I would say NOT LIKELY.

While Rotel makes some great sounding equipment, the problems in my opinion are in the hardware end of things.

For example, the first few seconds of audio of every track of a CD or a DVD, played over HDMI or optical connection were chopped off (which forces you to use the analog in and the DACs from the source unit which may or may not be as good-sounding as those in the Rotel).....same for SACD or DVD-Audio played over HDMI. This was addressed by Rotel through upgrades and now it is not as prominent over optical, but still happens with HDMI. I was told that the hardware they use just can't be programmed to operate any faster and that it was not going to get any better than it is now......that Denon, Marantz and other large companies get the newest, latest and greatest hardware long before it is available to Rotel and that is why their units do not have such issues......so you have to live with it.

If they can't fix something as seemingly basic as that, how would they ever deal with the issues you mention by simple firmware/software upgrades?

Just my thoughts.

Andy

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Processors are effectively just computers with an emphasis on audio, and a couple of years is an age in computer terms. Obviously the chips available to designers today are much faster/more capable than those of even just 2 years ago. I believe Rotel have added 3D compatibility in a firmware update, but I would imagine adding Audyssey dsx would need hardware support thats probably not in the box.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Fishy
        • Jul 2004

Sadly they really missed the boat with the 1098 for this. Plug and play models which are simply to change and just a firmware upgrade depending on the modules fitted.

Sadly Rotel are more interested in releasing new models over supporting the models that are already out there.

Fish

Comment

• Anovak
          • Dec 2008

Mike, I agree, but what I was saying was that Denon and Marantz amongst others had the hardware 2 years ago that was not having those problems while Rotel was still operating in catch-up mode.....

Fish, I think my experience with Rotel has been exceptional in terms of their responsiveness to my inquiries and the issue with the delays was actually prompted for referral to their tech design group by the interaction between them and those such as myself who were having the problems. I would suggest you give them a call if you haven't already and I suspect they will help you out as much as they can. Mike Sheehan and Shane Kea in particular have been superb, and there's another guy that I can't remember right now that is who those two defer to when they can't come up with a solution. Give them a try....

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

I've been in contact with Shane via email over the HDMI upgrade (which I'll be ordering for my visit in June as they wont ship outside of CONUS). Sadly Rotel UK may provide a decent service, thankfully my kit hasnt had need to visit them.

My point was more that Rotel have compared to other brands always been at least 6 months to a year behind their rivals. They spent a lot of time designing the RSP-1098, to only shelve the best selling point. MODULA DESIGN! IMHO.

This would have made an easy and quick support and UPGRADE path for when those newer technologies appear. HDMI wasnt an unknown when the 1098 appeared, yet they took way to long to appear on the market.

I really like the look and sound, but when it does come time to replace/upgrade it, I very much doubt I'll be looking at Rotel unless they do something amazing on the specs side of things.

It's pretty well known on here that Rotel are VERY slow at releasing new tech.

Fish

Comment

• Anovak
              • Dec 2008

Fish, can't argue with that......I waited nearly 2 years to get my 1570 after purchasing the 1095 power amp hoping that the HDMI would be shortly forthcoming.

Comment

• gear
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Fishy
                It's pretty well known on here that Rotel are VERY slow at releasing new tech.

Fish
                I'd have to agree as well. Years ago I wanted all Rotel, but after the owning RSP-1066 I went else where. I love their amps and have an RMB-1095 and two RB-1050, but when it comes to processors they lag behind in technology.

Comment

• bows3r
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by pmarb
                  After reading that the flagship Denon processor is to get a firmware upgrade for 3D, prologic IIz and Audyssey dsx later in the year, anyone know if Rotel are thinking about getting the licences and would be able to offer a similar upgrade for the 1570 (does the electronics allow?) or will it be a left for a launch of a new processor?
                  RSP-1570 has already a firmware update for 3D-passthrough.

Comment

• Hairsonfire
                    • Oct 2010

I don't think so . . .

Originally posted by bows3r
                    RSP-1570 has already a firmware update for 3D-passthrough.
                    3D passthrough requires HDMI 1.4 which would require an actual hardware update for the 1570 . . . It says so in the manual.

Comment

• bows3r
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Hairsonfire
                      3D passthrough requires HDMI 1.4 which would require an actual hardware update for the 1570 . . . It says so in the manual.
                      If you say so. My RSP-1570 though has 3D-passthrough with HDMi 1.3. It doesn't have ethernet and audio back channel, but it does pass 3D. You should maybe read a little more this club Rotel forum...

Comment

• griffithstrife
                        • Apr 2009

All the Rotel 15 series has had 3D passthrough since Septemper 2010 officially but even earlier in beta.

I was using it in July or August for my 1560

Here is a link http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...898#post511898

So it looks to me like Rotel beat Denon and the rest awhile ago, and did it with no fanfare

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"