X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

BD Firmware thread

So, how many more Firmware upgrades are going to be required just to play BD discs? So far, my generation one Sony player has required 2 Firmware upgrades, the latest, discovered when Quantum Solace would not play. It played to the menu, then would not go further. After another firmware upgrade, it did play fine.

For those that get into this boat, you cannot just copy the firmware file as a data disc, you must make it as an "Image Copy" in order for it to work.

Just a little helpful info...

Gee, DVD was never this complicated, huh? I never did 1 Firmware upgrade for Redbood DVD.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • scarpi
    • Jul 2008

I've had a Sony BD350 player for almost a year now and have not upgraded the firmware yet. I have all the firmware upgrade discs from sony but my player has never had a problem playing any disc yet so I never installed them. I figure why fix it if it ain't broken. If I have a problem, I'll install the latest firmware upgrade.

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 and have done several firmware updates. I think it was around 1.4 when I got it, and I think it's on or about 2.0 currently.

Some, like this one, you can just plug into your home network/LAN and have it do the updates directly without doing a separate download and making a disc.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Both times it happened to mine, the movie would play previews, then get to the main menu for movie, and not proceed forward. Weird.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

You never know for sure what is going on behind the scenes, but, generally speaking, the BD55 firmwares have been to address specific issue(s) with specific movie(s). Here's the history on mine, but this isn't quite as detailed as some of the specifics I've seen previously.

Model Number DMP-BD55PP
          Update Version Ver 2.0
          Update File Name / Size North America
          UPDATE_BD55PP_V20.exe / 28,164,294 bytes

Update Date 2009/7/8

Improvements
          Date/Version Description
          2009/7/8
          Ver 2.0 BD-V Playability

2009/5/21
          Ver 1.9 BD-V Playability

2009/3/31
          Ver 1.8 BD-V Playability

2009/2/9
          Ver 1.7 Stability of decoding for HD audio, etc.

2008/12/8
          Ver 1.6 BD-V Playability

2008/10/30
          Ver 1.5 Playability and Stability
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Get a PS3 instead?!?!

Then don't have any issues... ha ha.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I own both a Panny 30 and Panny 35 and have done all but the two latest updates because they are for titles I don't care to watch. I'll do a catch-up if necessary, but don't do them unless I feel a need to. The procedure is pretty painless. I just download, unzip and send the unzipped file to my Windows XP cd writer. Still, wish the studios would stop releasing titles with complicated features and overboard copy protection crappola, which usually result in some players having difficulties playing the discs.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                Get a PS3 instead?!?!

Then don't have any issues... ha ha.

I may have done that....if it had multichannel analog outputs. I'm not quite ready to do a $x,xxx.xx pre/pro update just to get HDMI audio capabilities.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by whoaru99
                  I may have done that....if it had multichannel analog outputs. I'm not quite ready to do a $x,xxx.xx pre/pro update just to get HDMI audio capabilities.
                  I agree, this is one of couple of drawbacks using the PS3. But as far as the topic of this thread goes, I have to agree with PewterTA.

I have an original 80 gig PS3. And it has played everything I've thrown at it. And it gets a lot of work via Netflix! :lol: Though I have to admit, like Doug stated, the PS3 is one of the BDP's which has had numerous FW updates. Thankfully, they are a piece of cake via ethernet.
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Still my BD player, 3 years later and going strong!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                      Still my BD player, 3 years later and going strong!
                      There have been a few times this year when I've had my cursor on the checkout button for a new BDP however every time I've stopped and shook my head thinking why on earth do I need a new one?! The PS3 is an awesome device and for all it's flaws (if you can call them that) it has never let me down with BD playback. It does it all.

That said it's only now that the current generation of players are finally hitting the market that may finally prompt me to buy one. I'm thinking specifically the newest line from Marantz and perhaps Sony (Oppo is not available over here). The UD8004 from Marantz is making me salivate in fact. Tho the BD7004 is probably where I'll dip my toe.
                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"