X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Oppo & Rotel?

hello all

I'm using an oppo bdp-83 & rotel rsp-1068 combo to get the hd surround sounds. any other folks with this combo and how do you like it?
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

I have tried the Oppo and it is a fine product. The only weakness in my opinion was the analogue output. I found the CD replay quality below parr. The SE version seems to do a little better.

Anyway I descided to leave the Oppo and save a bit more money and got the Marantz UD8004. I know it is a lot more expensive, but frankly it is the best upgrade I have ever done. Cd and SAcd playback it absolutely fanatastic and defininately as good as the famous Rotel 991 CD. With a Rotel RSP (i have the 1098) the Oppo would be the weakest link.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

Hello,

I had a BDP 83 at first hooked up to my RSP 1570 and I agree the analog was okay but I decided to upgrade to the Special Edition and I have no regrets as I noticed the difference right away using the analog section. Warmth and fuller sound is what I heard and that was good for my ears. I tried it for SACD and DVD Audio and I find it sounded pretty good. Only gripe is when you adjust the rear and back channels both will be set at the same distance when setting it up. I would prefer if you could set the distance for each channel. However I live with it. Listening through blu ray sounded really well too. I still go through via Hdmi to my preamp. It sounded pretty full through the multichannel inputs which is pleasing too. Thanks.

RoMan :T

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

I'm using the analog output on the Oppo to a RSP-1066. It sounds great to me. I have a dedicated two-channel system, but when I want to listen to SACD surround, it's the home theater and it sounds pretty damn good.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Holy cow!!! The Marantz UD8004 is one heckuva' expensive player!! (MSRP : $2,299.99). That BETTER sound good for that kinda' money!!. The new Oppo BDP-95 is supposed to have some killer DAC's and analog performance. That one's gonna' set you out a grand though....which is still a lot of change for a BD player !!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

thank all,

the oppo is for movies only. i use my rcc-1055 for playing cd's. i love the new hd surround via multi-channel outputs. i was really thinking about going back to a yamaha reciever just to get the hd surrounds. but can't go backwards.
            i really wish i could hear the hd surround via hdim.
            June

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

A Rotel designed transformer is used in the new audiophile BDP-95 bluray player.
              Read this sneak peek - looks pretty good for $1K.

Comment

• RoMan
                • Jan 2007

Ahhhhh..the BDP-95 sounds like another winner for Oppo for just a grand too. They certainly leave the competition scratching their heads for sure. I'm sure there are more and better sounding players out there by no stretch but if you are on a budget like me then 1K is a decent price to shell out for a machine that has some great guts..haha..Thanks for the link.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

@June.....Going back to Yamaha would definitely be a step backwards and the audio via HDMI through the Yamaha DAC's would likely be not better.

Comment

• june
                    • Feb 2005

madmac,

i know but every now & again i think upgrades. but newer is necassarly better. the rsp-1570 was on the list but can't justify the cost to the wife.
                    i'm very happy with my current system. i heard the emtiva and it was okay. but wasn't warm & fuzzy playing my smooth jazz.
                    June

Comment

• chanlon
                      • Sep 2003

RoMan,

How do you compare the sound of the Oppo SE DAC's VS the Rotel 1570's? I've been looking at buying the new 95 in order to get around the HDMI audio delay of my 1570.

Originally posted by RoMan
                      Hello,

I had a BDP 83 at first hooked up to my RSP 1570 and I agree the analog was okay but I decided to upgrade to the Special Edition and I have no regrets as I noticed the difference right away using the analog section. Warmth and fuller sound is what I heard and that was good for my ears. I tried it for SACD and DVD Audio and I find it sounded pretty good. Only gripe is when you adjust the rear and back channels both will be set at the same distance when setting it up. I would prefer if you could set the distance for each channel. However I live with it. Listening through blu ray sounded really well too. I still go through via Hdmi to my preamp. It sounded pretty full through the multichannel inputs which is pleasing too. Thanks.

Comment

• eelco74
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by madmac
                        Holy cow!!! The Marantz UD8004 is one heckuva' expensive player!! (MSRP : $2,299.99). That BETTER sound good for that kinda' money!!. The new Oppo BDP-95 is supposed to have some killer DAC's and analog performance. That one's gonna' set you out a grand though....which is still a lot of change for a BD player !!.
                        I have got the equipment to max out the extra potential the UD8004 has. It is an expensive player, but CD and SACD playback is above the current rotel 15 series and even Marantz's own SA-8004. And it plays DVD and Blu-ray all in one box.

I must say it is the best upgrade I have done in years. I really missed my old Rotel 975 CD player, had a Denon 2900 and 3930, but they never got close to the Rotel CD player.

I must say the BDP95 looks very promising based on the pictures and the description. Oppo is really doing well these days.
                        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• chanlon
                          • Sep 2003

Guys, I'm thinking about connecting the Oppo BDP-95 to my Rotel 1570 to the multi-channel 7.1 input.. However, I currently have a 6.1 setup and the Rotel is doing the correct downmixing from 7.1 to 6.1.

As a result, I may have to take the analog outs of the Oppo and sum the rear surround channels to mono by using a y-cable. Thus allowing me to get a 6.1 setup.

Would the mono signal be a significant step in the wrong direction or would you consider it a mute point?

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

@Chanlon.......It's a mute point in my opinion. Don't worry about it and use the 5.1 setup. Gosh.....how many channels of sound do we really need?.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
                              @Chanlon.......It's a mute point in my opinion. Don't worry about it and use the 5.1 setup. Gosh.....how many channels of sound do we really need?.
                              Moot point!
                              Main System:
                              B&W 801D
                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                              Oppo BDP-105
                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                              B&W CM7
                              Emotiva UMC-1
                              Emotiva UPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Hi,

a Oppo 95 nuforce Xtrem vErsion will be avialable (in Europa in juny ca. but is very expensive (in CHF. 4990.- 8O ) vs. the great version "normal" the is priced CHF. 1750.-

* Employs the BDP-95 platform, thus raising performance to an even higher level.
                                * Two-channel ultra-high-performance output for music
                                * 7.1-channel ultra-high-performance output for movies
                                * All channels utilize extensive re-clocking circuits
                                * A more robust power supply with multiple regulation

but sorry the new oppo 95 have 2 hdmi output right!? if you go from the premapli the oppo than to the projector/plasma you go use 1 only hdmi port or one for the Video and the other for the Audio?
                                (and we say that hdmi can audio and Video...)

style

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

@Style.....I'm sorry but I cannot understand your question.

Comment

• mjb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Style, one port is HDMI 1.4 for 3D, the other is 1.3 for audio/2D video. An SSP-800 (without the new HDMI board) is not HDMI 1.4 compatible, so you'd use the second port for audio via the SSP, and feed the 1.4 port directly to the display device.
                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• RoMan
                                      • Jan 2007

Chanlon,

All I did was follow the Oppo manuals instructions on listening to the analog section only. On my RSP 1570 I switched to multi channel analog inputs and I watched some blu rays. The Oppo player will decode the signal(DTS HD MA, Dolby True HD etc) to LPCM and sends it to the 1570 as an analog signal. Best way I can describe it. For music I used the dedicated analog stereo outputs plugged into my 1570, changed the audio settings in the 1570 to analog and listen to 2 channel music on Bypass mode(pure analog). I like the fullness, warmth and richness the analog section provides in the BDP 83SE and I found it opened up more than the BDP 83 in my humble opinion. But to each his own for sure. There you have it. Can't wait to see what the BDP 95 will sound like.

RoMan
                                      :T

Originally posted by chanlon
                                      RoMan,

How do you compare the sound of the Oppo SE DAC's VS the Rotel 1570's? I've been looking at buying the new 95 in order to get around the HDMI audio delay of my 1570.

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

I'm going to get a chance to sample the Oppo BDP-95 soon !!. Friend and neigbor of mine is buying it and shipping it to my house so I can try it out. I'm VERY curious how much better if any the sound will be compared to my current CD player (Marantz CD67SE) circa 1993. How far has audio progressed since then??.....hummmmm????

Once I try it, I will share my thoughts and impressions of it with my HTGuide friends. Try to control yourselves until then ok??. Hehehe!

Comment

• june
                                          • Feb 2005

madmac,

please keep us posted, i tried my oppo bpd-83 for for cd usage. the rotel rcc-1055 sounded much better. newer is always better
                                          June

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

@june.. The BDP-83 was not designed for audio playback via it's DAC's but rather, for it's exceptional video playback. The idea of that player was to use a separate DAC conversion. The BDP-83SE was designed with the 'audiophile' in mind with a vastly improved analog section over the standard 83 version. The BDP-95 is going to be a new version of the 83SE in terms of analog playback capability with even more care given to both the analog 2ch cd playback as well as the 5.1 DTS-HD and DD-HD for movies.

I'll advise when I try it out. I'm not one for BS though. If it's better, then it's better....not because I want it to be better. Rather, because it simply IS better!!. Unless it's obvious (Which I have the feeling it will be!!), I will be using the services of my wife to produce blindfolded A/B comparisons with my current gear.

Stay tuned and as I said before.....try to control yourself until then !!! :-)

Comment

• june
                                              • Feb 2005

madmac,

did you forget about us
                                              June

Comment

• madmac
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2010

Nope!!! Have not got it yet. not available in Canada yet apparently. It's coming though....I promise!!!. Stay tuned!!

Comment

• chanlon
                                                  • Sep 2003

I've got a Oppo 95 on pre-order as well for the past few weeks.
                                                  Stay tuned.

Comment

• madmac
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2010

There's so many people waiting for the BDP-95 now, I'm thinking there's gonna' be a lot of backorder and waiting to get our hands on this thing!!. I just hope it lives up to it's hype!!??.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"