• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

From Rotel to Classe

My impressions:

I have waited before deciding to post my impressions of going from a RSP 1069 to SSP 600 until I had a good chance to listen to good cross section of movies and music (and TV watching the Canucks :P ). I have owned various Rotel products over the years including a RSX 1055, RSX 1067, RSP 1068/1077 and RSP 1069/1077 so i am very familiar with the rotel sound.

The sound is certainly different between Rotel and Classe. Classe is not as "in your face" as Rotel, its more laid back and without knowing exactly how put this into the right words it almost gives you the feeling like you want to bump up the center channel during movies. This takes some getting used to, and I am not sure if its my speakers in combination or this is just the style of Classe.

What I have begun to notice thou is a whole new atmosphere and sound when watching movies. The clarity and range of sound made me realize the rotel almost sounded slightly compressed or harsh. Classe lets you see what you are hearing, it leaves you wanting to watch more and more movies.

I used to feel that the new high rez audio formats would trump any lossy one through any processor. I have changed my thoughts on that and realized resolution is important, but certainly not everything. My Rotel processing a 24 bit PCM signal does not produce the quality of audio that the Classe does with a high quality full spec lossy track. I need to do more testing with this because one thing I am starting to realize is that full spec lossy and lossless on many, if not most discs sound nearly identical. When my Oppo arrives I going to test the hell out of it doing lossy to the SSP 600 vs lossless out of the analog section. Since all outputs are always active on the Oppo it will be very easy to do comparisons. I read that when comparing lossless to a full spec lossy signal the difference is only 1/10 of 1% and in many cases I believe this to be true which leaves a lot of value in high end processors.

Side note: If you are on a limited budget there are some great deals out there on high end non HDMI processors. Working around HDMI with a switcher for video (monoprice 5x1 HDMI 1.3b for $33.00) and going full spec lossy from a BD into a high end processor is a much better option then paying big bucks for a mid level HDMI component.

With music the Classe outperforms the Rotel in every possible way. Better dynamics, clarity and there is detail in bass I never expected, and i know there is even more to be had because of my mid level speakers. Apple Lossless files rival some stereo SACDs I played through my RSP 1069 via HDMI PCM. My whole music library has been revitalized and I am jealous to think what you guys with your SSP 800 must be experiencing with SACD and DVD A.

My initial thoughts are very positive and will get better the more time I get to spend listening to music and movies. I have to get used to the more laid back feel of movies and less front heavy audio, but once the movie gets going and the Classe shines I forget about everything but what I am watching and hearing. I have a lot more listening to really understand the differences, but one thing is for sure, Rotel to Classe is a significant upgrade. Couple the audio quality with looks of the product which has always been very important to me, and i have a brand I will likely never stray from.
    Last edited by Nolan B; 12 May 2009, 10:00 Tuesday.
  • garak
    • Jul 2007

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I echo many of your impressions. When I moved from Rotel to Classe, I was amazed at the difference. The clarity and detail were greatly improved. The soundstage had so much more depth and width.

The Classe is like an order of magnitude closer to reproducing the original performance. With Classe, I almost feel like I'm really at the performance.

And you're right, the SSP-800 with SACD/DVD-A is spectacular!

Brian

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by garak
      Hi Nolan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I echo many of your impressions. When I moved from Rotel to Classe, I was amazed at the difference. The clarity and detail were greatly improved. The soundstage had so much more depth and width.

The Classe is like an order of magnitude closer to reproducing the original performance. With Classe, I almost feel like I'm really at the performance.

Brian
      I just watched an episode of House and both my wife and I commented on the fact that it felt like were we actually sitting in the hospital because of the accuracy, detail and soundstage.

I am loving what I am hearing. Loving it.

Comment

• lvhung
        • Jun 2005

exellent experience about Rotel van couver

Comment

• Armbender
          • Jul 2005

excellent review...i was torn between the 1069 and the 600...i cant wait to here your thoughts on the Oppo/classe combo...
          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
            My impressions:
            I echo your sentiments and couldn't be happier to see you find your way. You need to be commended for having an open mind to explore what is possible with lossy soundtracks and highend equipment. Congrats!

I used to feel that the new high rez audio formats would trump any lossy one through any processor. I have changed my thoughts on that and realized resolution is important, but certainly not everything. My Rotel processing a 24 bit PCM signal does not produce the quality of audio that the Classe does with a high quality full spec lossy track. I need to do more testing with this because one thing I am starting to realize is that full spec lossy and lossless on many, if not most discs sound nearly identical.
            By George he's got it! You have discovered what many have failed to. Under the right set of circumstances, full specification lossy encodes will be nearly indistinguishable from lossless soundtracks. DVD's were never mastered to full specification. Furthermore, the night and day differences people claim to hear is because of improper leveling techniques that were used in the testing between lossy and lossless samples and/or the source originated form different recordings, mixes or masters. There's no arguing that the differences between CODECs are there, but they will be very difficult to perceive when executed correctly. You took a big leap of faith to discover this Nolan. Well done!

My whole music library has been revitalized and I am jealous to think what you guys with your SSP 800 must be experiencing with SACD and DVD A.
            For this reason it will be a worthy upgrade when the time is ready.

Couple the audio quality with looks of the product which has always been very important to me, and i have a brand I will likely never stray from.
            Amen to that!
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by garak
              You ain't kidding brother! It really is spectacular.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Armbender
                excellent review...i cant wait to here your thoughts on the Oppo/classe combo...
                Agreed.

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

Hi Vancouver
                  Would you tell me between Classe and Rotel sep up
                  Of course Classe is better Rotel for Music
                  but which is better for movies: bullets, bombs, explosion ...for instance
                  Thanks

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by lvhung
                    Hi Vancouver
                    Would you tell me between Classe and Rotel sep up
                    Of course Classe is better Rotel for Music
                    but which is better for movies: bullets, bombs, explosion ...for instance
                    Thanks
                    The Classe is ahead of the Rotel by a long shot for movies.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"