X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

LPG26T Modification and "Alignment"

• This post will describe the modification and optimization of the LPG26T titanium dome tweeter
    • The first tweeter modified was one sent to Mark K for measurement, PRIOR to modifying the tweeter- this is an interseting point, considering what he measured and what I measured in the impedance curve, before and after.
    • A problem with the 26T which has been noted by others is that it lacks accurate fixed positioning for the tweeter/VC assembly. Other matters to be addressed are the diffuer used for dispersion and frequency resonse shaping, and the relative lack of damping material in the hollow pole piece.
    • Read this whole document through in detail before deciding if you want to do this- it does require some fine motor coordination, and some simple test equipment ( a signal generator).
    • Understand that I've been testing and modifying drivers from time to time since the the late 70's- I understand this sort of thing may not be everyone's cup of tea, or within their skill set. This tweeter has some good potential, but to realize it this modification and alignment seems quite necessary- I can't recommend using them in the condition they were in as received from the American distributor, Madisound. Not Madisound's fault, just perhaps a slight lack of quality control at LPG, and a subtle flaw in the mechanical design.

Tools and Materials Required

Click image for larger version

Name:	LambsWoolSS.jpg
Views:	3210
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	867546
    • Hex Key set for removing front panel
    • Xacto knife or small jewler's screwdriver for removing diffuser
    • Small package of Lamb's wool, Scholl's or Rite Aid, available at most drug stores (foot care)
    • Small scissors such as mustache trimming scissors
    • Black Silicone RTV glue (optional)
    • Adjustable Sine wave Signal generator with 50-100 ohm output impedance, and connecting cables- headphone output from notebook or PC with tone generator software like True RTA is OK. I used my Krohn-Hite Sine generator

Name:	LPG26T1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	936749
    1. Using a hex key wrench, remove the four screws holding the front panel to the magnet/pole-plate assembly.
    2. Place the front plate assembly to the side for now, dome with screen side down. Don't rest the plate on the voice coil side, as this may cause deformation of the suspension.
    3. Prepare a small quantity of the lambs wool, folding it over two or three times in a 1-1/2” length. Cut the length in half, and insert ½ into the pole piece cavity.
    4. Using the small scissors, trim the wool around the pole piece opening until only a shallow dome of material remains above the opening, and no fibers are in the areaof the magnetic gap where the voice coil sits.
    5. There are small dots of glue at each of the screw positions. This can be cut away with a Xacto knife, then the grille can be removed from the front panel.
    6. The diffusor is a thin plasticfilm on the inside of the grille. Pry it off with a jewelers screwdriver or Xacto knife.
    7. Carefully position the front plate assembly over the pole-piece with gaskets/spacers positioned as when originally disassembled.
    8. Re-install the screws and screw in until barely snug- you'll still be able to move the front plate around a little, because of slack between the screw body and the holes in the front plate.

Name:	LPG26T4SS.jpg
Views:	3205
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	867548

Name:	LPG26TStuffedSS.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	936748
    Magnet and pole piece assembly with pole piece stuffed with lambs wool

Name:	LPG26T3SS.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	936750
    Front Plate with dome assembly; note plastic diffuser donut under grille which should be removed

Name:	LPG26TReAssembledSS.jpg
Views:	5082
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	867549

Re-assembled tweeter, before attaching grille
    1. The tweeter plate has to be positioned so that the voice coil is centered accurately in the gap. Apparently, they often aren't even from the factory.
    2. Set the signal generator to 1 kHz output frequency and 0dBV to +6 output (0.775V to 1.5VRMS). The exact level isn't important. 1 kHz will be sensitive to the slope, height, and width of the imipedance hump, which is actually at a lower frequency. (see impedance curves below)
    3. Connect the signal generator to the tweeter terminals. Rotate the plate as fully as possible in one direction about the central axis; then shift about a little as necessary to get the loudest output without any distortion overtones. This results at peaking of the Z.
    4. At this point the tweeter VC should be centered fairly optimally in the gap. Snug down the four hex screws, taking care not to move the front plate on the pole piece. If you hear a change in the character of the 1 kHz tone, such as the presence of a low level sharp overtone, the voice coil is not centered and may be scraping. Loosen the screws sightly and adjust the plate position for the cleanest 1 kHz tone and maximum loudness.
    5. The tweeter grille can be positioned over the dome and will be held on magnetically. Use small dots of RTV near the screw heads to attach more permanently.

This particular tweeter was measured by Mark K, with higher distortion than I or he expected. When returned, I measured the impedance curve PRIOR to this rebuild.

Name:	LPG26TUNMODZSS.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	936751

After the modification and alignment, the impedance curve looked like this:

Name:	LPG26TSS.jpg
Views:	3053
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	867547

Note the absence of the various ripples in the several kHz region now, and the broader and higher impedance peak at the LF resonance.

Mounted on the small Woodstyle test enclosure, with minimal smoothing, the response at one meter looked like this:

Name:	LPG26TMLSSS.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	936752

Note that the cabinet boundary and diffraction effects the frequency response measured this way; this has to be taken into account when desiging the crossover. Sometime after I'm back in CA I'll have to do a near field measurement to determine the intrinsic driver response.

~Jon
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:45 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Gees you certainly are long winded. I bet it took you all day to write that post .... :roflmao:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Some people type very fast ... Nice guide Jon! When I can measure a set I'll post them here. I should get a pair of those tweeters for testing soon.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

He types very fast.... but spent the better part of the day composing the post while sitting at my kitchen table ... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hey big guy, remember I spent a few hours in the late AM and earl PM doing the crossover design for the RS180/27TDFC MTM's! We're in the full blown release candidate stage with measured data from cabinets, and optimized to use pretty much off the shelf value inductors and caps, excepting the two tweeter series caps. :B

That was several hours...

The 27T thing was done after our late lunch and shopping spree! :

He said, he said....
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
            • Oct 2004

Well we appeciate the effort either way. What an improvement! I'm up for this but I dont have a generator. Is there a program I can download to make a 1 kHz tone (and some sweeps for later) and save them to a file?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Look toward the bottom of THIS page.

Also you can download a great little tone generator HERE

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• GrahamT
                • Oct 2004

Perfect! Thanks Thomas.

Comment

• Mark K
                  • Feb 2002

I'm glad to see these mods. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in this tweeter and it's sibling, the eton 19. They have a goofy mounting plate that could be engineered better. I have unpublished data on 3 eton 19's. One I bought myself and 2 loaners. I suspect they have the same type of mount, although I didn't take apart Jon's, so I can't say for sure. But you can loosen these and the impedance and distortion pattern is very changeable.

So I'd encourage everyone to look into Jon's mods, and even check the impedance curves if you have the ability to do that sort of thing.
                  www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• FrancoB
                    • Jan 2005

Jon,

Does this mod also work for the MCD25 tweeter from MB Quart?

Thanks,

Franco

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

The MCD25 doesn't have a hollow pole piece. However, I found that removing the standard grille diffuser and replacing it with a magnetic screen which used to be available from Audax smoothed things out nicely in the top end. The on axis repsonse afterwards is down a couple of dB at 20 kHz, but it's just a smooth roll off, due to the pistonic behavior of the diaphragm and it's dimensions. BTW, this is how Avalon modified the MB Quart tweeters, and even had a semicustom version made with round baffle and screen grille, which I've used in a few projects. (See image).

~Jon

Name:	MBTT1R_PicSS.jpg
Views:	3339
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	841510
                      Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 12:46 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                        • Oct 2004

Thanks again for this thread Jon. I used it again today on a Peerless soft dome which has a similar construction with an unfixed position for the voice coil.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Glad this has proven useful- many tweeters do have good voice coil positioning built in, but surprisingly, quite a few don't. Also, the pole piece damping on most leaves quite a bit to be desired...

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"