X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig Simon
    • Jul 2005

C1, Oppo and HDMI Switching

I am a complete novice (maybe even an idiot :-) ) when it comes to component and interface control. I have a Halo C1 and have just purchased an Oppo HDMI switcher. I understand the C1 will switch the outputs of the Parasound Zhd but given the Oppo has a 232 port can it be made to do the same or was this a completely ridiculous question?

Thanks!

Craig
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heya, Craig, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

No, I don't think that's a ridiculous question. RS-232 isn't completely intuitive until you learn what it's all about. Your Oppo switcher will need to receive certain exact commands over RS-232 to perform desired operations. The C1 will almost certainly not output the exact commands that the Oppo needs. Now, if you put in an RS-232 based control system like AMX or Crestron, then you can have a central control unit that will read the signal that the C1 outputs, and program it to output the Oppo commands when it receives them. That's hefty stuff, though.

How's the Oppo working for you? Doin' the job?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Craig Simon
      • Jul 2005

C1, Oppo and HDMI Switching

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

"How's the Oppo working for you? Doin' the job?"

I let you know in a few days when I get it!

Compared to the Zhd at $99 it's a bargain. One other interesting point is the 232 port issue may not matter if the switcher works as advertised. According to the Oppo website apparently the switcher senses the signal and automatically chooses the proper HDMI input. We'll see.

Since I'm a lurker here and never post, I'd like to add to a prior discussion to express my disappointment that the C1/C2 have reached the end of their run and are not going to be upgraded. Whatever Parasound actually said, it's my impression that it was implied that the C1 was going to be somewhat future proof.

I am a long time Parasound fan with my current C1/A51 combo. Heck, I'm still using my Parasound HCA-806A 6 channel amplifier. Probably going to hook that up in another room for an SACD/DVD-A surround system powering five Rogers LS3/5A (I don't throw anything away!). Now, if I can only find a proper preamp for that setup!

Thanks again.

Craig

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Huh... interesting. If nothing else, using a proper universal remote, you can program IR macros that will switch your Oppo at the same time you switch other sources.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Craig Simon
          • Jul 2005

Chris,

I got the Oppo HDMI 3X1 HDMI switcher and it works exactly as advertised. It senses whatever input is hot and automatically switches to it. As mentioned also comes with RS-232 and IR capability plus its own remote control. For $99 it is very impressive.

Craig

Comment

• rocasi
            • Dec 2003

I am using the monoprice HDMI switch and it too works well. I am using the C2 remote, with learned commands, to make all the selections needed for viewing a given video. I am now searching for a 7.1 analog audio switch, but those are even more pricey than HDMI switches.
            My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"