X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simplton
    • Oct 2004

Considering purchase of used RB-1080

Hello! It's been ages since I posted on these forums. I currently have a RMB-1075 powering my B&W DM604 S3 mains, a LCR600 center, and some DM302 sorrounds. I'm considering the purchase of a used RB-1080 to power my mains. The left over channels on the RMB-1075 will then power my rear surrounds. I figured the extra oomph in the RB-1080 would be a nice upgrade for two channel listening.

I've been running through the forums here and have found that there seems to be some issues with fuses and blown channels in RB-1080 and that Rotel had made some changes to try to work these bugs out. Is there any way that I can tell if the amp I'm looking at would have these upgrades? Can you tell by serial number or any other identifying feature? I know the newer amps had clear binding posts. The amp I'm looking at does not. They're red and black.

Any help you can provide is certainly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    Marantz av7005 Proc.
    Oppo BDP-83
    Rotel RB-991 (mains)
    Parasound HCA750 Bridged, Mono (center)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
    f, B&W DM604S3
    c, B&W LCR600S3
    ss, B&W DM302
    rs,Polk M3II
    HSU VTF-3 MK3
    APC H-15 (power conditioner)
    Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
  • cZwUV620
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Simplton
    I know the newer amps had clear binding posts. The amp I'm looking at does not. They're red and black.
    Scott
    The first RB-1080 I purchased had the clear binding posts and one of the channels failed within the first three months. Kudos to my dealer and Rotel for providing me with a brand new unit (same binding posts). It's been trouble free for the past three years. Others will provide you with much better information but I thought I'd let you know my experience. Good luck on your search!

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

Some people have had this problem with a certain series (age) of RB-1080 while others have not.

I owned the model with one pair of clear binding posts per channel (newer than the one with red and black posts, but older than the one with 2 pairs of clear bi-wire posts per channel).

I never had any problems and did use the 12V trigger, which with some people, the use of the 12V trigger seemed to make fuse blowing more likely. There was some speculation that certain combinations of speakers and speaker cables (and resultant capacitance and inductance) contributed to the effect, but most people had no problems using the same speakers and cables with their previous power amplifier.

Steve

Comment

• spoiledone
        • Dec 2010

Mine has the clear binding posts and is now 5 years old. I have never had one issue and it gets used pretty much daily

Comment

• jjmatheson
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Simplton
          Hello! It's been ages since I posted on these forums. I currently have a RMB-1075 powering my B&W DM604 S3 mains, a LCR600 center, and some DM302 sorrounds. I'm considering the purchase of a used RB-1080 to power my mains. The left over channels on the RMB-1075 will then power my rear surrounds. I figured the extra oomph in the RB-1080 would be a nice upgrade for two channel listening.

I've been running through the forums here and have found that there seems to be some issues with fuses and blown channels in RB-1080 and that Rotel had made some changes to try to work these bugs out. Is there any way that I can tell if the amp I'm looking at would have these upgrades? Can you tell by serial number or any other identifying feature? I know the newer amps had clear binding posts. The amp I'm looking at does not. They're red and black.

Any help you can provide is certainly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
          Scott
          May I ask what your paying for this used 1080 as I am considering selling mine. Don't know what to ask for it.

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

I have seen them sell from 500.00 to 650.00 used on Audiogon.There is one that just sold for 575.00.It all depends on the age,usage and condition.I have seen them listed as high as 700.00 but they rarely sell for that.
            When I sold mine I sold it for 600.00 but it was less than a year old and in excellent condition.
            Hope this helps.
            Shaun

Comment

• Simplton
              • Oct 2004

Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciate it.

Any thoughts on my intended match up of the RB-1080 and the B&W 604S3's and any potential improvements over the RMB-1075?
              Marantz av7005 Proc.
              Oppo BDP-83
              Rotel RB-991 (mains)
              Parasound HCA750 Bridged, Mono (center)
              Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
              f, B&W DM604S3
              c, B&W LCR600S3
              ss, B&W DM302
              rs,Polk M3II
              HSU VTF-3 MK3
              APC H-15 (power conditioner)
              Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen

Comment

• jjmatheson
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Opus007
                I have seen them sell from 500.00 to 650.00 used on Audiogon.There is one that just sold for 575.00.It all depends on the age,usage and condition.I have seen them listed as high as 700.00 but they rarely sell for that.
                When I sold mine I sold it for 600.00 but it was less than a year old and in excellent condition.
                Hope this helps.
                Shaun
                Yep thanks, think i will try 550.00.

Comment

• TommyV
                  • Feb 2007

If you do not mind black there is also the RB-991 that looks just like the 1080 and has the same 200w per ch. It also has a very similar internal design. I have one and it sounds great. I am about to put mine for sale as I ordered a new matching 15 series amp/preamp. It can be had for quite a bit less than the 1080 sells for on the used market. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

• BWzes03
                    • Oct 2005

I've bought one, used, 5 years ago. No problems what so ever, even with using the 12V trigger.
                    I've bought a second one, also used, 3 years ago. Also no problems....
                    Both are with the 'single wire' clear binding posts.

Comment

• mpauline
                      • Dec 2003

I had the blown fuse issue on my 1080. Rotel was awesome to deal with. First time they changed the fuses, second time the capacitors, third time a new amp was given to me. That was three years ago and no problems since then. I was not using the 12v trigger so that was not the problem.

Comment

• hurin
                        • Sep 2009

I have the 1080 with the bi-wire posts, I was using the 12v trigger until it blew a fuse, I stopped using the 12v trigger and have not had any problems for almost a year now.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"