X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seteven100
    • May 2009

surge protectors

i folks, i have a rotel set up, do you think its worthwhile to get a surge protector?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

seteven100,

Absolutely. A good line conditioner will provide surge protection as well as clean up the grunge in the power grid. You should hear and see improvement in system performance. Along with surge protection.

Many surge units come with a connected equipment guarantee.

There are a variety to choose from at many price points. Rotel makes/made a pretty good unit, the RLC-1040. That was built by APC. The equivalent APC model is the H-15. The less expensive H10 is also offered.

You can also find good conditioners on Audiogon.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• seteven100
      • May 2009

thanks htsteve

Comment

• cxc21
        • Mar 2008

realy?

I guess it depends on where you live. A good power supply should take care of this anyway. Can you point me to an objective test of these units showing system performance increase? All tests I have seen, consumer reports etc conclude that they really don't do anything. Although those are not audiophile centered reviews.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by seteven100
          i folks, i have a rotel set up, do you think its worthwhile to get a surge protector?
          It depends on where you live and what kind of electrical equipment you have in the home. If you are in a highly populated urban area, and/or area prone to frequent lightning storms, surge suppression may be worthwhile.

If you live in a private home, your best bet is to install a whole house surge suppressor, http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/SEP-200.aspx and supplement that with small, single-outlet point-of-use protectors http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgeCu.../dp/B00006BBAB to catch any internal surges, or external ones that may bypass the whole house unit.

Of course, neither of these will protect against a direct lightning strike, and the best protection during bad weather is to unplug your equipment.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I've got all of mine on APC battery backups and I have to say the "filtering" it does, initially makes things seem different, but it actually made it much better testing everything off and on it. So I ended up with two so I could keep the amps and everything filtered.

Get a Surge at the bare minimum.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

To have expensive equipment hooked up to a bare socket is simply not wise. They do not cost much and they condition and protect against spikes in power. Make sure you plug them into grounded sockets though or you are wasting your time with surge protection.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• RoMan
                • Jan 2007

I use Furman conditioners. I use their Elite 15 PFi and there power strip and the PST 8D for my bedroom and the components there. They do the trick pretty good and at a reasonable price at that. :T

RoMan

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"