X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtopaul
    • Jun 2010

New Guy with Problem

Hi. Hope someone may have some insight as to the trouble I'm having. All has been working fine for quite some time until this weekend. I normally watch DVDs on my Rotel RSX-1055 & RDV-1050 and that is all. This weekend I decided to listen to a CD which worked fine. I did change manually the receiver setting from Video 2 to 2 channel for the best stereo effect. When I decided to later watch a DVD I loaded the DVD and the DVD/video menu screen for the movie start came up as usual on the flat screen. Since the system was still in the 2 channel mode I tried to reset it to the surround sound mode to watch the DVD and suddenly lost the picture. I get sound but no picture. I pushed all the buttons on the receiver to try and find the right combination to return the picture with no look. No combination of powering everything on and off and reloading the DVD has had any effect. If I power on the DVD player first and then the receiver, while the received is set to the video 2 setting, I do momentarily get the ROTEL green screen for a second on the flat screen before something pops and it's a blank screen again. I am currently using a S-Video hookup through the system on video 2. I don't use the multiple control Rotel remote only the DVD player remote. Any suggestions? I might be completely missing something but if I'm getting sound through the S-video cable I don't think it's a cable problem. Do I have a DVD player problem or a receiver problem and how do I tell?

Thanks for any guidance.

Paul

PS: Just bought a RLC-1040 and a RDV-1092 last night and considering a RSP-something (don't use tuner function of RSX anyway). I need this fixed asap.
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

You need to find out if the problem is the flat screen, the 1055 or the 1050, then reset the unit to factory default.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I want to say you probably turned progressive scan on the 1040, which I believe disables the s-video output.

Press and hold the VFN/PROGRESSIVE SCAN button on the 1040's remote. I want to say one of the button's on the 1055's remote is the VFN command when in DVD mode. You probably had the 1055's remote in DVD mode and accidentally hit it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gtopaul
        • Jun 2010

I decided to pull out the DVD player and have a look behind it. Nothing unusual (besides the dust) other than I had the S-Video cable coming out of Vid 3 to the flat screen. I redid that to have it coming out of Vid 1 so now have S-Video In and out on Vid 1. Really don't know if that was a problem or not. I also had the audio out from the DVD going into Video In 2 so changed that to Video In 1. Plugged the DVD player back in and did my normal routine to play a DVD and the results were the same. As I was experimenting with the receiver buttons, everything is on Vid 1 now, I was still in the stereo (2 ch) mode so I pushed the DSP button and heard all the front speakers working properly and then as I started down the row of Video buttons, pushing one at a time, as I got to Video 1 the picture came back and everything is working normally again. Don't know what happened or what I did to fix it. Doubt it was really a cable configuration problem since it has been working for years the way I had it initially plugged up. So now I've got a RDV-1092 that will be delivered tomorrow and a RLC-1040 that will come in Monday so must be careful not to upset the apple cart again. Not getting any younger and getting down on my knees to fix this stuff isn't the fun it used to be. At least I don't have to go receiver shopping now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"