X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjhall5150
    • May 2010

Rotel RSX-1057 vs. RSX-15 series

After listening to several models of AVR's. I have decided that I want to go with a Rotel setup for my new HT system.

My question is quality of sound between the 1057 and the newer 15 series.

I will not be listening at extreme loud levels, and I will be purchasing a 3 or 5 channel amp regardless (most likely Emotiva)

would their be a noticable enough difference in the two units that would pursuade me to spend an additional $1200 on a 15 series receiver???? or is it just money wasted.

Thanks
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The 15 Series is noticeably better. Not only do you get audio over the HDMI with the 15 Series (the RSX-1057 is just a 2 in/1out HDMI switch and that's it) you get a newer, more powerful DSP engine. The RSX-1550 has the same amp section that the RSX-1057 has, but that is where it ends. The RSX-1550 is much better sounding and gives you audio over HDMI so if you can make the jump, do it.

Eric

Comment

• SkyDover
      • Feb 2010

You may want to check out the Emotiva UMC-1. It does HDMI for more than half the cost of the Rotel, if the UMC-1 has all the features you are looking for, you may want to consider it if you haven't already?

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

I am a long time Rotel fan, still am but I haven't been very happy with the big price hikes Rotel has jump to from 10 to 15 series, the ones that are internally the same. I gave Emotiva a try, full system (RSP-2, XPA-1, ERC-1) and it's as good as my Rotel RC-1090, RB-1090, RCD-1072 system for sound quality and build quality, yet I saved alot compared to what the Rotel cost me.

Rotel Class A/B 15 series amps are internally the same as the 10 series, just a new look on the outside (box) but big price hikes! The big thing about Class D came with lower cost prices but with alot of the big audio players, we aren't seeing the price savings!

I'm still a big fan of Rotel but the Emotiva is also well worth considering for alot of $$$ savings and are excellent to deal with, Rotel is excellent to deal with too.

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SkyDover
        You may want to check out the Emotiva UMC-1. It does HDMI for more than half the cost of the Rotel, if the UMC-1 has all the features you are looking for, you may want to consider it if you haven't already?

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

I am a long time Rotel fan, still am but I haven't been very happy with the big price hikes Rotel has jump to from 10 to 15 series, the ones that are internally the same. I gave Emotiva a try, full system (RSP-2, XPA-1, ERC-1) and it's as good as my Rotel RC-1090, RB-1090, RCD-1072 system for sound quality and build quality, yet I saved alot compared to what the Rotel cost me.

Rotel Class A/B 15 series amps are internally the same as the 10 series, just a new look on the outside (box) but big price hikes! The big thing about Class D came with lower cost prices but with alot of the big audio players, we aren't seeing the price savings!

I'm still a big fan of Rotel but the Emotiva is also well worth considering for alot of $$$ savings and are excellent to deal with, Rotel is excellent to deal with too.
        Before considering Emotiva I would check out their forum. http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...?board=preamps

I am not saying that the UMC-1 is a bad unit but looks to be riddled with bugs.I had considered this unit myself but after reading their forum and all the problems I would either wait or spend more on something more reliable.

Just my 2 cents and your results may differ.

Comment

• SkyDover
          • Feb 2010

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of some problems. I know Rotel had problems in the beginning in this area too so hopefully Emotiva will get those worked out soon!

Comment

• 1oldguy
            • Dec 2008

mmmm I forget who it was that mention another product that was better than Rotel when it came to 2 channel audio......But on par when it comes to 5.1.So if your reading this and you know what product I;m referring to that would help loads.It was in the same price range If I do remember correctly.
            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

I vote for 10xx series.

I like the silver/black look of the 10xx better than the 15xx series, and analogue cables will get you HD audio.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
                I vote for 10xx series.

I like the silver/black look of the 10xx better than the 15xx series, and analogue cables will get you HD audio.
                That is with a player that has proper bass management and speaker set up. Also those players are dying away already unless you spend $800.00 or more.

The 15 Series still sounds better in all areas in my opinion but to each his, or her, own.

Eric

Comment

• SkyDover
                  • Feb 2010

I've compared the RB-1080 and RB-1582 and hear no difference at all. They sound exactly the same to me with same sources and internally the same except that the RB-1582 removes balanced inputs.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"