X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianR
    • Feb 2010

Rotel 1052 as a preamp?

I am new to this whole audio thing but am trying to learn as much as I can. I have Rotel 1052 receiver that I have generally been satisfied with. My question is whether there is any merit to obtaining a more powerful AMP and using the receiver as a pre-amp / tuner. If I do so - does the amp supplant the power from the receiver or add to it. I have B and W 683 speakers but no sub.

Thanks for you consideration and apologize in advance if this falls into the category of a dumb question.

Brian
  • TommyV
    • Feb 2007

I think the 1052 should be enough but you could experiment with an amp upgrade to see if it makes it sounds better to you. If so then you could consider going with a dedicated preamp. If you stay with Rotel you can choose between their Class A/B or Class D stereo amps. Like I said though you have a pretty sweet setup as is but I know all about the upgraditus. Good luck!

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

The RX-1052 receiver on Rotel's website doesn't show it having main preamplifier outputs on the back panel drawing, but it does show them in the Owner's Manual.

I don't know if that means there were two different versions, or if the separate back panel drawing is in error.

Check to see if you have them ("Pre Out"). If you do, you're in good shape. If you don't, then then you would have to use one of the zone preamp outputs to connect the external amplifier, and the problem would be that everytime you want to change an input or the volume, you would have to press the SEL button to select that zone and make your change. It won't stay on the selected zone, but will revert back to the normal listening mode in 10 seconds. This could prove to be be a real pain.

You would be using an external power amplifier in lieu of the receiver's internal amplifier.

Your 1052 is rated at 100W/channel at 8 ohm, so I would imagine (if buying a Rotel amp) that you would be looking at the RB-1572 (250W/channel) or the RB-1582 (200W/channel). Buying one of the lower powered amps like the 1552/1562 (120W/100W) would most likely not be enough difference to matter much.

It also kind of depends how loud you like to listen. At low to moderate volumes you would probably only hear a marginal increase in sound quality even with the bigger amp, but at louder volumes you should experience more headroom, less harshness and greater bass control.

Only way to know for sure is to try it out. You might also consider one of the older '10' series amplifiers, such as the 200W/channel RB-1080.

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yes there was a version 2.0 of the 1052. Different software and the addition of main pre-outs.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"