X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gimpgutter
    • Feb 2005

Rx 1052 plus Subwoofer

Hi, this is my first post here. My dad just purchased a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver. He was also looking at the B&W CM4 speakers which he was VERY pleased with. His only concern was the lack of deep bass. Going from his 25 year old 12" Cerwin Vega's to these was a step in the wrong direction for bass reproduction (at least in terms of loudness and deepness). However, I recently aquired an Infinity CSW-10BK sub for my room whcih I thought I might give to him. It's 650Watts RMS and really pumpes out clean, tight, and LOW bass. I swear its gonna rattle the sheetrock off my walls. So, here is where the problem lies. The 1052 does NOT have a subwoofer out. God knows why with all the 2.1 inspired media out there nowadays. As you guys probably know, most subs have a set of high level inputs and low level rca connections. This sub only has the low level connections.

My question is, how do i connect this subwoofer to the receiver? I was considering connecting the zone 2 preouts from the receiver into the inputs on the sub and let the sub act as a crossover and filter out all 50Hz and above sound. Here is where my audio knowledge runs out. I read somewhere that the sub needs to have an Active crossover. Is this applicable to my situation, or do the zone 2 preouts suffice? I really would like to use the sub with the speakers. AND let us assume these CM4 speakers are defiantely staying, not being replaced by something with a little more bass output.

Any help or enlightenment on the subject is much appreciated. If this works, my dad will appreciate it very much. If it hasnt been tested yet...maybe ill be the first.

Thanks
    Nick
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I'm a little confused on you 2.1 media comment.. Never seen anything with that combo of channels.. Technically you could have Dolby Digital 2.1, but with no digital inputs on the 1052 it wouldn't matter even if that was a common DD setup..

Anyways, looking at the back panel I'm really surprised that Rotel does not include a preout section for the main zone! Any of the record outs are going to be at full volume so that's not going to work.. Using zone 2 could work, but you would have to adjust the volume on that zone separately from the main zone.

Best bet it seems is for you to go to your local car stereo store (or online) and get a speaker level to line level converter. Hook it to the B speaker channel and then run your regular RCA's to the sub.. Done it many times before!

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• gimpgutter
      • Feb 2005

that was a speedy reply...but i forgot to mention something. My dad also plans on running 4 of the CM4's so he would be using all the speaker outputs from the Rotel. So, i cant use a line level converter.

About the 2.1 comment, many SACD's and HDCD's as well as DVD Audio discs all feature a 2.1 mode. This is the Left and Right channel plus a subwoofer. Very common nowadays.

Any other suggestions out there?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The line-level converter doesn't add anything to the impedence of the speakers so you can use it on either A or B out without issues.

Good to know on the SACD's.. I thought it was just 5.1 or 2 ch.. That can be solved with a 2 channel mixer between the DVD player and the input on the 1052....but that's probably more the he needs..

Kevin D.

Comment

• gimpgutter
          • Feb 2005

Hmmm, i was searching online and all the speaker level to line level converters cannot seem to handle more than around 60W. The rotel is a 100W a channel. Also, I read that the converter isnt a very clean signal.
          Why does this have to beso difficult....why couldn't Rotel just add a subwoofer out!?!?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Probably threw you off with the car stereo store comment. There are nicer ones out there..

Audioplex converter:

20hz-20khz, 150 watts handling, less than .05% THD... I've used a lot of Audio plex stuff before and have always been happy.

Available at partsexpress (a sponser above), for $60..

Yes Rotel should have put a zone 1 line out on the 1052, but the above will work perfect.

Kevin D.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
              • May 2004

If you are not using anyof the other zone outputs, you can put the receiver in "PARTY MODE". This will link the zones volume adjustments and input to that of the main zone. You can not do this for just one additional zone though.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• gimpgutter
                • Feb 2005

thanks guys. we should be picking up the receiver sometimes this week (that is if my dad's ankle isnt broken and it doesnt snow again). Ill give the party mode thing a try, and if that doesnt work well, ill try the line level converter. Thanks again for the quick responses and i hope to be at this forum a while.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"