X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Test tone

To be brief.yesterday I calibrated my speakers using the test tones on the Pink Floyd The wall dvd via hdmi and ps3.The settings I came up with where way different than when doing it with the rotel test tones.
    Afterwards i put in the Transformers bluray and heard things in the front and rear channels i had not heard before.It was a dramatic change in the way everything was distributed.And it sounded more correct than using the rotel test tones.It really sounded awesome this way.
    Is this because of the source processing is different than the rotel?Or does the rotel just does a bad job?I really am jazzed the way it sounds now.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Differences between processing and handling of information. It's amazing how far off things can be given a set correct way of doing things.

The built-in test tones are good, but the proper way of doing things is to use tones from a test disc on the source you want to be most correct.

Kevin D.

Comment

• hery19
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Opus007
      To be brief.yesterday I calibrated my speakers using the test tones on the Pink Floyd The wall dvd via hdmi and ps3.The settings I came up with where way different than when doing it with the rotel test tones.
      Afterwards i put in the Transformers bluray and heard things in the front and rear channels i had not heard before.It was a dramatic change in the way everything was distributed.And it sounded more correct than using the rotel test tones.It really sounded awesome this way.
      Is this because of the source processing is different than the rotel?Or does the rotel just does a bad job?I really am jazzed the way it sounds now.
      How do you calibrate with a dvd?
      TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
      Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
      Amp: Monolith 7X
      Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
      Sub: SVS PB 3000
      Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
      Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
      Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by hery19
        How do you calibrate with a dvd?
        You get a dvd disk with test tones.There are many dvd's that have them.A few I can think of is Ice Age and Pink Floyd The Wall and if I recall correctly on the Indian Jones DVD(the new one).You will need a spl meter which are fairly cheap and the cheapest can be bought at radio shack.
        You can also buy dvd and bluray calibration disk .Or do a google search and you can find downloadable test tones you can burn to disk.
        I really like the the ones included on the pink floyd disk.

Comment

• hery19
          • Jul 2008

You get a dvd disk with test tones.There are many dvd's that have them.A few I can think of is Ice Age and Pink Floyd The Wall and if I recall correctly on the Indian Jones DVD(the new one).You will need a spl meter which are fairly cheap and the cheapest can be bought at radio shack.
          You can also buy dvd and bluray calibration disk .Or do a google search and you can find downloadable test tones you can burn to disk.
          I really like the the ones included on the pink floyd disk.
          I have my system calibrated with the 1069's test tones, the question is how do you do it with a source and a test disc in it?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Run through the test-disc, make notes of what needs to go where. Go into the menu and make the adjustments. Go back out and run the test-disc again. Repeat until the test-disc is correct.

Kevin D.

Comment

• hery19
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Run through the test-disc, make notes of what needs to go where. Go into the menu and make the adjustments. Go back out and run the test-disc again. Repeat until the test-disc is correct.

Kevin D.
              I think I get it, set the reference volume on the center channel and go from there back and forth to the other speakers :T Thanks!!

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by hery19
                I think I get it, set the reference volume on the center channel and go from there back and forth to the other speakers :T Thanks!!
                I have never used the center channel as reference but have only used the left main as reference as with correct speaker positioning your left and right should end up at 0 in a ideal room.Turn the volume up on the 1069 till the left has reference and set to 0.Calibrate from there.Weather either is incorrect I do not know but that is how I do it.And Kevin is correct in that you will have to go back and forth from the disk to the test tones in the 1069 to make the adjustments.Good Luck.

Comment

• hery19
                  • Jul 2008

I have never used the center channel as reference but have only used the left main as reference as with correct speaker positioning your left and right should end up at 0 in a ideal room.Turn the volume up on the 1069 till the left has reference and set to 0.Calibrate from there.Weather either is incorrect I do not know but that is how I do it.And Kevin is correct in that you will have to go back and forth from the disk to the test tones in the 1069 to make the adjustments.Good Luck.
                  Thanks Opus007 I used to always use the left speaker as reference until I read somewhere to use the center channel, maybe I'll go back to the left channel and see what happens, again thanks for your assistance guys!

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Shouldn't matter which one you use as they should all be at the same level in the end.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                      • Jan 2010

All systems will calibrate differently. It depends on speaker sensitivity. I use the Sub as reference. Read on

Center down 5 dB; mains down 2dB; surrounds up 3dB; sub max THRU an Audio Control Richter Scale; 22 hz up, the others down

cheers tony
                      Samsung 60" LED
                      Outlaw Audio 976
                      Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                      Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                      LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                      M & T: Rotel RB-981
                      Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                      SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                      Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                      Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"