What are the latest Rotel remotes called?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart_Bonell
    • Nov 2002

What are the latest Rotel remotes called?

Hi,

I am trying to replace teh remote for my RSP-1066. I contacted Rotel here in the UK who said that they have a remote called a RR20299 available.

This looks like a possible typo to me so I was wondering if anyone recognises a model number in here.

If so, could you comment on whether you are happy with your remote. I can get a Harmony cheaper, but have been happy with my old RR-969 until it died and hear some negatives about Harmonys (seems you either have an easy set up process or a very hard one with little DIY possibility (need Logitech phone suport etc + charging cradle failures).

Any other thoughts comments on best way to replace my remote are welcome. I still like my Rotel combo and even though I may upgrade soon, I will need a decent remote to sell with it.

Thanks very much
    Stuart
  • Stuart_Bonell
    • Nov 2002

Apparently they meant RR-1061. Can anyone comment on this as a remote (even better if you've used a RR-969 or 1050 previously for comparison).

I found a code list online which seems to suggest this is a code driven rather than learning remote. Can anyone confirm for me? I prefer learning because I have all my old remotes and I know this will work.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The current remote is the RR-1061 and it is a learning remote. I would recommend a separate system remote from Universal Remote or Logitech for day to day operation of a system however.

Eric

Comment

• Stuart_Bonell
        • Nov 2002

Eric.

I managed to find a user manual for the 1061 now and it seems like it does codes and learning which is pretty handy.

The price in the Uk is about $140 however so it looks like I have quite a lot of scope for a universal remote if I can find one which is any good.

Thanks for your help,

Stuart

Comment

• ray5
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart_Bonell
          Hi,

I am trying to replace teh remote for my RSP-1066. I contacted Rotel here in the UK who said that they have a remote called a RR20299 available.

This looks like a possible typo to me so I was wondering if anyone recognises a model number in here.

If so, could you comment on whether you are happy with your remote. I can get a Harmony cheaper, but have been happy with my old RR-969 until it died and hear some negatives about Harmonys (seems you either have an easy set up process or a very hard one with little DIY possibility (need Logitech phone suport etc + charging cradle failures).

Any other thoughts comments on best way to replace my remote are welcome. I still like my Rotel combo and even though I may upgrade soon, I will need a decent remote to sell with it.

Thanks very much
          Stuart
          I would call them really ugly paperweights! I can't imagine why a remote has to look like yesteryear cordless phones. Unlike the units(receiver/pre-pro) which I find are neat and sophisticated looking the remote is a disaster. I went for a Universal Remote, my first, and have seen light now!! IT really does do what it claims to! It controls even my 10 month old..... just kidding.
          Ray

Comment

• Stuart_Bonell
            • Nov 2002

Hi Ray

Agree on the looks - definitely lets the main equipment down. My old one looks better - go figure.

Can you shed any more light on the universal remote you went for? Logitech option seems to be the One at the moment (700 does not control enough devices for me), but they get some bad reports so interested to know if there are other good options.

Thanks
            Stuart

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

The RR-1061 looks okay. It's better than the RR-1060 but funtionality wise, they both are the same. You're probably best try out some universal remote. However, a good one of those can easily burn 300-400 out of your pocket.

Comment

• wz2p7j
                • Sep 2006

I call mine "Roger." It's a little more personal

Chris

Comment

• WelshOne
                  • Jan 2009

I would call them really ugly paperweights
                  I strongly disagree. I would call them ******* ****

Awful, just awful.

Bought a Logitech Harmony and never looked back. Still need the remote for certain tasks though :evil:

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart_Bonell
                    Hi Ray

Agree on the looks - definitely lets the main equipment down. My old one looks better - go figure.

Can you shed any more light on the universal remote you went for? Logitech option seems to be the One at the moment (700 does not control enough devices for me), but they get some bad reports so interested to know if there are other good options.

Thanks
                    Stuart
                    Stuart,
                    I am not an expert but looked at the Harmony and URC. The Harmony 900 is sleek and very nice looking. The URC looks and feels robust and very clean layout. I like the layout a lot as it is intuitive. It is a lot more expensive than the Logitech. I went for the MX 880.It just felt a lot more solid in my hand. I had heard a lot about the remote capability but once I got it it was even beyond expectations and liberating. No longer do I have to juggle 4-5 remotes and it just works!! I use it with the 350 RF base, so no pointing. A forum member set it up and gave me a good deal and has become a friend too for me to bounce my questions off him.
                    It's expensive but compared to what I spent on my system was nothing and I was fed up of the quirks of each remote so I am happy even though it took a bit to convince the wife why I should spend that much on a clicker!Hope this helps.
                    Ray

Comment

• B&W_Group_Fan
                      • Sep 2008

I purchased the URC MX-880 w/ 350 base early last Summer and agree with Ray's comments :T . While it's a lot to spend on a remote, the feel, usability and functionality are awesome.
                      HT
                      Rotel RSX-1560
                      B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
                      Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
                      Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
                      Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
                      B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
                      URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

• Stuart_Bonell
                        • Nov 2002

Thanks all - that's very helpful. I understand the MXs are positioned as slightly more "pro" models. I don't mind spending a bit if its robust and won't start packing up after a year or two.

I'll see if I can track down a dealer now.

All the best,

Stuart

Comment

• JonJeffman
                          • Apr 2009

Don't mean to hijack this thread, and I already posted this in the pawnshop with no results (if it doesn't belong here let me know and I'll remove it), but all of you seem to be just the people I'm looking for:

I bought a RCD-971 with no remote and it's driving me nuts but can't afford a universal. So don't suppose any of you who upgraded to a universal have a remote that would work on just my CD player, that's just sitting in a closet that you'd sell for cheap? I believe the original was an RR-D91 but maybe others would work?

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WelshOne
                            Bought a Logitech Harmony and never looked back. Still need the remote for certain tasks though :evil:
                            will the Harmony control an RSP 1068? My RR 1050 has become schitzoid

A Rotel replacement runs well over $100, missed one ebay well under that.
                            Samsung 60" LED
                            Outlaw Audio 976
                            Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                            Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                            LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                            M & T: Rotel RB-981
                            Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                            SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                            Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                            Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

• Tha Freak
                              • Jul 2003

tegarding universal remotes, is any of them are bluetooth ?

I have a PS3 as BRplayer (and gaming console of course), but it is only controlable with bluetoot !??
                              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

They're several IR to BT converters available to control the PS3. Harmony even makes their own adapter making control as easy as possible.

Kevin D.

Comment

• john sleeman
                                  • Aug 2011

My RR 969 remote also needs replacing. If I got a Logitech Harmony would it be able to perform tasks such as trimming sound levels and delays of the surrounds? Can it access the on screen menu?

John

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"