X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

What's a good cheap remote?

Hi folks,

I have been looking for a good cheap remote as I'm getting sick and tired of fumbling with 4-5 remotes on my couch. I am hoping to find 1 remote that replaces all of them, if not for 100% of the times at least for 95% of the times.

The problem I have, is while all my remotes supposingly control other devices, they are only capable of controlling 1 other device adequately, while the others are limited to Power On/Off and Volume up / down and that's it. I can eliminate at most 1 remote from my cable box, DVD player, 1 TV, 1 amp and 1 VCR by programming all the remotes, but not more than that.

The devices I need to control are:

Toshiba HX83 RPTV
    LG 7382 DVD player
    Marantz 5300 receiver
    Toshiba VCR
    SA 3500HD cable box

(Somehow I thought the Marantz remote has learning capability, but not according to the manual)

Anyways I have tried the Radio Shack Kameleon 8 in 1 remote but returned it within 2 days. The feel of the buttons' just terrible, not to mention it drains battery like crazy, and while some others may think the design is cool it's pretty toy-ish when you see it in real.

I have thought about the Harmony's but even the cheapest one comes out to ~ Cdn$200 after tax ... which is a lot of $$ for a REMOTE. I know they're convenient but I'm not necessarily looking for a remote with lots of macros, or 'activities'. I'm looking for one which controls all the devices. Maybe my wife would appreciate the convenience of Harmony, but well she's got the best remote in me.

I also looked at the Sony 2500 ... it's ok but not sure I like sony's unconventional design. Not having played with it I'm not sure how well it works ... but it definitely is a tad on the pricey side too.

What kindda remote would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something ~ Cdn $100-150 max that could replace my other remotes. A LCD screen would be nice, but not a must.
  • Fortunado
    • Sep 2004

Sony AV3000 - $75 US. This thing was around $300 not too long ago and has a lot more power than most of us might ever need.

F

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"