X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wasabichondro
    • Sep 2009

Rule of thumb for rotel equipment & speaker cost

The question I am raising is, in general what do you personally feel is a good amount to spend on your receiver or pre/pro in relation to your speakers.

The RSX-1057 powering my 5 speakers was 22% of the price of my speakers.

I was wondering you thoughts. I was looking at going to a used classe amplifier and realized spending more on my amp than all of my speaker combined did not seem like a good idea?
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

Spending more on the amp than on the speakers does sound wrong, and using a Class A amp for the rear speakers is complete overkill. Unless you're an absolutely no compromise guy, I would stay far away from Class A amps. You can get good Class A/B amps for a fraction of the cost.

I have an RB 1080 connected to a set of Vienna Mahler, and it performs like a dream. Try looking for a used RMB 1095.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The amp he is talking about is not a class A amp, it's the brand Classe. It wouldn't matter if it was a class A amp anyway.

As for the original question, I say go for it. A really good amp would do wonderful things for the speakers you have and give you a lot of flexibility to upgrade speakers down the road. You would be amazed how much info you can get from a speaker system with a really good amp.

Eric

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Personally I think you're on the right track already, as far as I'm concerned the primary cost in a system should be devoted to the speakers above everything else. They will of course only be as good as what they're attached to, however speakers will make the most dramatic change in your system hands down.

If you need more power I would try something a bit less expensive first to see what kind of difference you can get. Spending more on an amp than on the remainder of the system is just kinda...dumb (to me).
        - Danny

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"