X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

RMB-1575 Question

Ok...my luck with Rotel continues. Just picked up an RMB-1575 today. Got it all hooked up...sat down a couple hours later to fire it up and give it a listen. Thru in a CD ( in bypass on my 1068 ) and within two or three minutes, a sound much like that made by an electric razor started eminating from the left surround channel. To verify that it wasn't something in the processor, I switched the left/right channel IC's at the processor, assuming the sound would come out of the right surround channel if it was the processor. Turn everything back on, and within a couple minutes it was making the sound from the left channel again. Amp problem. I then put in a multichannel SACD, switched to multiinputs and the sound went away. Went back to the CD in stereo only...no sound from the left surround. Its been a couple hours now...no sound. Electronic components don't usually fix themselves...wondering what I should do. Should I return the amp?

Rich
    Last edited by rdram; 18 December 2009, 07:13 Friday.
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

I would at least make an effort to isolate the problem and hopefully be able to repeat it. Rotel has an excellent warranty replacement policy and will be more than happy to get you a new amplifier if yours has a problem. Good luck. I am hoping to be listening to a 1565 sometime in the future.

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

If more than your fair share of components seem to be going bad on you, you may want to check your power source. I don't know if you are using any voltage regulated power conditioning devices, but a gentleman from another forum had problems that were related to the power coming into his home.

The incoming voltage ranged from 80 volts to 140 volts, which is outside the acceptable voltage input range for most components, and even some voltage regulators. When the troubleshooting efforts had reached a conclusion, the power company ended up replacing a faulty transformer at the pole.

Steve

Comment

• rdram
        • Mar 2005

Steve,

Never had any power issues here. Everything's hooked to a Rotel RLC-1040 anyway. White noise is back this morning on the left surround channel. Back to the dealer I go. Frustrating as hell... How can a company offer an amp at that price point that doesn't work right out of the box?

Rich

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

Every manufactured product has an acceptable failure rate. Rotel included. There is also a chance it was damaged after it left the factory. Shipping overseas and then being trucked across the country can wreak havoc on electronics. Give Rotel a chance to make it right.

Comment

• rdram
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
            Every manufactured product has an acceptable failure rate. Rotel included.
            I'm not in manufacturing, so I can't argue that fact. But I don't agree with the concept either. It would seem to me that an acceptable business model would be to strive for a zero failure rate...at least when a product is new. I think the problem reflects more on Rotel QA/QC, or lack thereof, at the factory. And yes, I know this problem is not exclusive to Rotel, but in the 35+ years I've been buying audio components I think it's ironic that the most expensive single electronic component I've ever purchased is also the only one that didn't work out of the box.

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
            I am hoping to be listening to a 1565 sometime in the future.
            I traded to a RMB-1565, which was the only one the dealer had in stock when I took the 1575 back. Only got 3 or 4 hours of listening time this weekend, but so far I'm pleased with the performance. After living with a RMB-1095 for four years, I think the 1565 is a little thin in the bottom end when listening to 2 channel, but it does offer an exceptional soundstage. I started with the new Norah Jones CD "The Fall". Crystal clear vocals without a hint of sibilance. Next CD was Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philidelphia". I pretty much know every note of this disc by heart, and the "thinness" in the bottom end was evident, especially on "Prairie Wedding" which has a great bass track throughout. Watched one Blue-ray, the new Terminator. I know this movie got panned by the critics, but I thought the soundtrack was great, and the 1565 did an impressive job at theater volume levels...never seemed to run out of gas no matter how hard I pushed it.

All in all, the 1565 seems to be an amp I'll be able to live with for a while. And I saved $1400 in the process. And...it works!

Rich

Comment

• Audiophiliac
              • Apr 2006

Nice! We powered our Wilson 7.1 setup with a Rotel RMB-1077 and it did a splendid job! Maxx 2, Watch Center and 4 x Watch Surrounds. Not a bad showing for an amp that small. Never got hot to the touch. Never ran out of steam.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"