X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

Downside of low-Voltage lighting?

I am Going to be installing Low voltage lighting (most likely) in the next couple days. I intend to use the Control4 system. Is there anything that I should look out for when doing this lighting? I am very concerned about humm and buzzing as well as the introduction of noise into the system.

I am currently running 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for my system:
    1.) video, a/v processor, CD, DVD, Directv.
    2.) Classe Amps, subwoofer

So, the main system is pretty isolated from electrical noise in the house.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Stew
    Stew
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

You *should* be fine.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I am very concerned about humm and buzzing as well as the introduction of noise into the system.
      Looks like you are already aware of the possible downside of low voltage lighting. The typical culprit causing noise in the system itself is electrical interference However, with your isolated circuits, you should be OK as stated above.

The other problem would be buzzing of the transformers in the lights, which tends to be more of a concern with cheap fixtures. Your choices of HT equipment leads me to believe that will not be an issue. However, there is always the possibility that any fixture could prove to be noisy. They will show their true characteristics immediately, so if you keep your receipts, you should be covered there as well.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• stewfoo
        • Jul 2005

Thanks alot
        Stew

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Stew, where can you buy Control4? Seems everywhere I look it is a custom installer piece.

Comment

• stewfoo
            • Jul 2005

yeah it is typically a custom install piece.... I have some great resources though. I am trying to see how easy the programming is. In fact, I am having my dealer sign up for it and I am gonna take any training possible. I have to find out whether I am going in that direction
            Stew

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

The things I read in other forums about it is very positive toward expandability and ease of integration. The OSD for movies seems great as well as wireless dimmers. Very retro-fit friendly. Of course, the devil is in the programming as you said. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"