X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wcrewson
    • Dec 2009

New Blu-Ray & Old Equipment

I have a RX1050 Stereo Receiver and a RB 1050 stereo power amplifier (which I continue to love). I just replaced my CD/DVD player with the Panasonic BD80 Blu-Ray player and want to install to my 'old' Rotel set-up for the CD's, DVD's, to play on the Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, I cannot get the components lined up properly (don't know why) and there is no sound.
    Could someone tell me how to make the connections on the back of the equipment from each piece to insure sound? I have made the appropriate changes on the Blu-Ray side for 2 channel. But, for some reason, I cannot get sound. I have only two speakers (hence no Zone 2, I assume) but still cannot get it right between the amp & pre-amp (assuming that is where the problem is). I also have the speakers attached to the amplifier...assuming that is correct as well.
    I would be very, very appreciative if someone could give me a little help. This is embarrassing because I never had these problems with just cd's and DVD's (and this configuration was for 2 zones!). I am missing something very basic.
    Thank you again.
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

Your Panasonic Blu-Ray player may have it's audio defaulted to use HDMI as the output or the correct analog audio setting needs to be made.

You want to use the 2ch L/R Audio Out jacks on the back of the Blu-ray player and connect them to whatever inputs you want on the Rotel receiver.

Go into the BD-80's Setup Menu > TV / Device Connection > Analog Audio Ouput and choose the 2ch + 5.1ch setting.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw "I have made the appropriate changes on the Blu-Ray side for 2 channel". Did you mean the changes you made were in the Blu-ray setup menu as well?

Your receiver has a tuner in it so you can use that to verify correct connections to the power amp and speakers

Steve

Comment

• Wcrewson
      • Dec 2009

Steve,

Thank you so much for responding. I am reasonably certain it is already in the 2-channel mode; I double-checked the connections to the 'Input' of the receiver and the 2 channel/5 channel output is the default.

If that is correct (and I will doublecheck the set-up menu), I think the problem is either: 1) the preamp/receiver to power amp connection (i.e. I am not sure I have that set up correctly....could you tell me how - and where - to make those connections....which outputs and inputs on each to connect to?). Or, 2) perhaps the speaker connections. I connected them directly to the amplifier since I am not using the Zone 2 option. Is that correct?

Oh, another reason I suspect this arrangement is the problem is because there is no sound from the cable connection either.

Again, Steve, thank you!

Walker

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Walker,

Are you wanting to use the receiver's internal amplifer or the external RB-1050 amplifier for your Main speakers?

Using the RX-1050 Receiver's internal amplifier
        1. Jumpers must be installed in the Pre Out/Main In jacks on the RX-1050 receiver
        2. Speakers are connected to the Left and Right 'A' speaker posts on the RX-1050 receiver
        3. Front panel 'A' speaker switch is engaged on the RX-1050 receiver

Using the RB-1050 external power amplifier
        1. Jumpers must be removed from the Pre Out/Main In jacks on the RX-1050 receiver
        2. RCA cables are connected from the L/R Pre Out jacks on the RX-1050 receiver to the Ch1/Ch2 Input on the RB-1050 amplifier (not to the Serial Output Link jacks)
        3. Speakers are connected to the Channel 1/Channel 2 speaker posts on the RB-1050 amplifier
        4. If you do not want the RB-1050 amplifier to turn on automatically when you turn on the RX-1050 receiver, set the RB-1050 amplifier 12V Trigger slide switch to Off
        5. If you do want to power on the RB-1050 amplifier on when the RX-1050 receiver is turned on (12V Trigger):
        - a. Connect a mono 1/8"/3.5mm cable from the 12V Trigger Out 1 jack of the RX-1050 receiver to the Trigger In jack on the RB-1050 amplifier
        - b. Set the 12V Trigger slide switch on the RB-1050 amplifier to 12V Trig
        6. Alternatively you can have the RB-1050 amplifier turn on without using a 12V Trigger cable by setting the RB-1050 12V Trigger slide switch to Signal Sense, and it will turn on when it senses an audio signal.

Inputs to the RX-1050 receiver can be plugged into any of the audio input jacks except for phono, which is a low level input for MM phono cartridges.

You should get sound when selecting the Tuner and the AM band (the FM band may have muted silence if not tuned onto a station).

You should also have cable TV sound when selecting it's input.

Once you have sound, we can troubleshoot the Blu-ray player audio output if necessary.

Steve
        Last edited by srb; 07 December 2009, 11:59 Monday.

Comment

• Wcrewson
          • Dec 2009

I was planning to use the power amp...hence, the speakers are currently connected there. If, however, that is part of the problem, I could re-attach to the receiver. But, someone had told me it was better to connect to power amp. Obviously, I am not sure. What do you recommend?

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

Walker,

I had just edited my previous post with some instructions.

If you had the RB-1070 amplifier, there would be no question (125W/channel). The amplifier in the RX-1050 receiver is rated at 100W/channel and the RB-1050 at 70W channel.

Even though the receiver's rated power is a little higher, the RB-1050 power amplifer's power supply doesn't have to also power a preamp and tuner, and it is in a separate chassis away from the other electronics.

So let's go with the recommendation you received to use the RB-1050 power amplifier for now.

Check the connections as in my previous post.

Steve
            Last edited by srb; 07 December 2009, 02:50 Monday.

Comment

• Wcrewson
              • Dec 2009

Steve,

Everything seems to be great now. You solved the problem. It was either the power amp-receiver RCA connection or reattaching speakers to receiver, as opposed to power amp. Since I made corrections both at the same time, I am not sure which it was. In either case, it works great now.

I wish there were some way I could reciprocate and help you.

Thank you very, very much.

Walker

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"