X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hery19
    • Jul 2008

RSP-1069 vs Denon 4310CI

I currently have the 1069 paired with a 1075 amp powering B&W old CM series speakers (CM4, CMC, and CM2's) in a 5.1 set up and was thinking of replacing the 1069 with a Denon 4310 which would give me improved video processing and the Audyssey self calibration system. The idea is to use the Denon as a prepro and biwire. What do you guys think? Will I lose a lot of sound quality?
    TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
    Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
    Amp: Monolith 7X
    Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
    Sub: SVS PB 3000
    Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
    Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
    Remote: Harmony One
  • JRachwalski
    • Jun 2008

When I had a RMB-1085 I swapped between a 1069 and a Denon 4308 (as preamp only). With the Denon set to no EQ the sound was almost identical. In fact I would have given the Denon a slight edge at lower volumes. The improved GUI of the Denon and the Audyssey easily put the Denon ahead of the Rotel. As well the Rotel is seriously picky about how you aim the remote. The Denon on the other hand could be controlled much easier. This is huge for me as my rack is behind me.

Comment

• hery19
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by JRachwalski
      When I had a RMB-1085 I swapped between a 1069 and a Denon 4308 (as preamp only). With the Denon set to no EQ the sound was almost identical. In fact I would have given the Denon a slight edge at lower volumes. The improved GUI of the Denon and the Audyssey easily put the Denon ahead of the Rotel. As well the Rotel is seriously picky about how you aim the remote. The Denon on the other hand could be controlled much easier. This is huge for me as my rack is behind me.
      That is great to hear! I really like all the added features the Denon would have over the 1069 like Dolby Volume and such and this might be a good time to purchase one for a decent deal. :T Thanks for your input.

Comment

• chanlon
        • Sep 2003

I've tried Pioneer Elite and high end yamaha receivers as preamps/processors with my Rotel 1075 and 1077 amplifiers. Compared to the Rotel 1069 and 1570 I could clearly hear a difference in 2 Channel playback. The Rotel was much cleaner, open and revealing in sonic character. I wanted an excuse to buy either the Yamaha or Pioneer because I was tired of HDMI quirkiness on the part of the Rotel HDMI implementation VS the mass produced receivers.
        But the sound quality for music was superior IMO on the Rotel. For mostly home theatre applications, I couldn't tell the difference.

I should say that with the recent firmware upgrades for the 1570, everything works just nicely for me right now. Also, the B&W North American support group are exceptional to deal with. My experience with Denon, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer service over the years wasn't quite the same.

Comment

• hery19
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by chanlon
          I've tried Pioneer Elite and high end yamaha receivers as preamps/processors with my Rotel 1075 and 1077 amplifiers. Compared to the Rotel 1069 and 1570 I could clearly hear a difference in 2 Channel playback. The Rotel was much cleaner, open and revealing in sonic character. I wanted an excuse to buy either the Yamaha or Pioneer because I was tired of HDMI quirkiness on the part of the Rotel HDMI implementation VS the mass produced receivers.
          But the sound quality for music was superior IMO on the Rotel. For mostly home theatre applications, I couldn't tell the difference.

I should say that with the recent firmware upgrades for the 1570, everything works just nicely for me right now. Also, the B&W North American support group are exceptional to deal with. My experience with Denon, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer service over the years wasn't quite the same.
          I listen to music nowadays about 30% of the time and when I do listen mostly its in 5 CH stereo, I spend more time watching movies now with blurays new high def sound formats that the 1069 can't decode. I just might buy the Denon and compare it to the 1069 and see what happens. If I don't like it I can always return it. After I bought the Rotel a couple of months later the 1570 came out which really pissed me off to see that Rotel adopted HDMI 1.3, went back to my dealer to see about an exchange and they thought I was crazy. They offered to list it for me on ebay, not exactly the solution I was looking for after spending my hard earned money with them.

Comment

• hurin
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by hery19
            I listen to music nowadays about 30% of the time and when I do listen mostly its in 5 CH stereo, I spend more time watching movies now with blurays new high def sound formats that the 1069 can't decode.
            Most new Bluray players can decode the new sound formats, and some are really cheap. If they can they will have the Dolby True-HD, and the DTS master audio logos on the fromt. Set one of these players to output sound as PCM over HDMI, and you should be in audio heaven.

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

Hurin is correct. Plus, if you set your blu-ray player to PCM mode connected via HDMI, its identical on the 1069 VS the 1570. If you are not experiencing any issues with HDMI handshaking, personally I'd keep the 1069. It's none of my business but the sound quality between the 1069 and 1570 is near indistinguishable. Personally I think the 1570 is a 1069 with a new HDMI board and different cosmetics cause Rotel felt pressured to have it 1.3 compatible.
              The Denon may have a better scaler but if your source components are connected via HDMI, let the components do the scaling.

Originally posted by hurin
              Most new Bluray players can decode the new sound formats, and some are really cheap. If they can they will have the Dolby True-HD, and the DTS master audio logos on the fromt. Set one of these players to output sound as PCM over HDMI, and you should be in audio heaven.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

The RSP-1570 and RSP-1069 are the same except for the HDMI board (for HDMI v1.3) and the DSP engine (with decoding for the HD audio formats). The DACs and analog section are the same.

Eric

Comment

• hery19
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by chanlon
                  Hurin is correct. Plus, if you set your blu-ray player to PCM mode connected via HDMI, its identical on the 1069 VS the 1570. If you are not experiencing any issues with HDMI handshaking, personally I'd keep the 1069. It's none of my business but the sound quality between the 1069 and 1570 is near indistinguishable. Personally I think the 1570 is a 1069 with a new HDMI board and different cosmetics cause Rotel felt pressured to have it 1.3 compatible.
                  The Denon may have a better scaler but if your source components are connected via HDMI, let the components do the scaling.
                  Gents, I'm fully aware that you can listen to blurays as PCM via HDMI. Currently, I'm happy with my 1069, especially it's looks combined with the 1075, and its sound quality.
                  What I'm wondering is if I could do better with a Denon 4310 as a prepro paired to the 1075,taking advantage of its added features such as Audyssey, video processor, Dolby Volume, and so forth compared to the 1069 that doesn't have these features.

Comment

• Ken49r
                    • Dec 2007

What I'm wondering is if I could do better with a Denon 4310 as a prepro paired to the 1075,taking advantage of its added features such as Audyssey, video processor, Dolby Volume, and so forth compared to the 1069 that doesn't have these features.
                    It's a trade-off between features (bells & whistles) and sound quality IMO. I think ROTEL does a fine job with what they offer, if SQ is what you are after. It's just a matter of preference I guess.

I have a 1069/1095 system upgraded from an ONKYO AVR. Sure I miss some features the ONKYO had but my ears appreciate the ROTEL sound the best.

Comment

• Ken49r
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                      The RSP-1570 and RSP-1069 are the same except for the HDMI board (for HDMI v1.3) and the DSP engine (with decoding for the HD audio formats). The DACs and analog section are the same.

Eric
                      I thought so since the 1069 was buiilt from the ground up just a few months before the 1570 was released. Thanks for confirming it. :T

Comment

• hurin
                        • Sep 2009

taking advantage of its added features such as Audyssey, video processor, Dolby Volume, and so forth compared to the 1069 that doesn't have these features.
                        As far as I can tell its just old techniques dressed up in new names. Audyssey is making a fantom speaker by having the two rear speakers play the same mono signal tricking the brain into thinking the sound comes from between the two, Dolby Volume is an equalizer, and the video processor is likely to be irrelevant since its better to let the player do the scaling and deinterlacing of DVD material.

Also the 1069 has the superiour DAC, so replacing it with the Denon is :roll:

Comment

• hery19
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Ken49r
                          It's a trade-off between features (bells & whistles) and sound quality IMO. I think ROTEL does a fine job with what they offer, if SQ is what you are after. It's just a matter of preference I guess.

I have a 1069/1095 system upgraded from an ONKYO AVR. Sure I miss some features the ONKYO had but my ears appreciate the ROTEL sound the best.
                          Thanks for your inputs Ken49r, so you think I shouldn't mess with what I currently have in the 1069 as a prepro. :T

Comment

• hery19
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hurin
                            As far as I can tell its just old techniques dressed up in new names. Audyssey is making a fantom speaker by having the two rear speakers play the same mono signal tricking the brain into thinking the sound comes from between the two, Dolby Volume is an equalizer, and the video processor is likely to be irrelevant since its better to let the player do the scaling and deinterlacing of DVD material.

Also the 1069 has the superiour DAC, so replacing it with the Denon is :roll:
                            So you think all these new features are not all they make them out to be and I should stick to what I currently have. Thanks for your opinion. :T

Comment

• Ken49r
                              • Dec 2007

Thanks for your inputs Ken49r, so you think I shouldn't mess with what I currently have in the 1069 as a prepro. :T
                              Yes, I wouldn't trade your SSP for an AVR that does not better the 1069 in sound. There are other SSP's that better the 1069 but at a much higher price.
                              Thats the nice thing about choosing separates, when you do upgrade the 1069 you will have your 1075 to power it.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"