CD player routine maintenance? (RCD-971)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonJeffman
    • Apr 2009

CD player routine maintenance? (RCD-971)

Hey there,
    So I found a RCD-971 locally that I picked up for a good price, but it'll either be one of those 'best-deal-ever' or 'waste-of-money' sort of things. Wondering if there's some simple routine maintenance I can/should do?

The original owner said that about 1% of the time, you'd put in a disc and it wouldn't read it & would display NO DISC. I am yet to get this problem, but I did noticed it skip on a CD-R that was scratch free, and that does not skip on a different player. So this has me a little concerned.

What should I do to improve it's health? I've heard of cleaning, lube, alignment, but don't really know what this entails. Can I open it up and blast it with some compressed air to remove any dust (or can this knock the laser out of alignment). What type of grease should I use to lube it and where do I apply it? Is an alignment something a DIY'er can do or does it require special tools/knowledge?

Thanks for the help
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The lasers in CDP’s can become mis-aligned over time. They also wear out. The laser can be re-aligned or replaced. These repairs are not normally able to be done by the average owner. You may be able to get an estimate for the repairs from a reputable repair shop. However, the cost may exceed the value of the unit.

Also, early model CDP’s did not always work well with CD’s burnt on personal computers.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"