X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Piano Black Maintenance

Hey All,

Haven't posted here in awhile as i've been spending lots of time with my 803S/HTM3S system. After 5yrs of good service, I have decided to "upgrade" to the new 802D in Piano Black.

I posted a maintenance thread here back then on maintaining that Series, which most would still apply, but now with the new Piano Black finish I am curious how others are maintaining this?

I don't want to inadvertently introduce swirl marks so what is the best way to keep this finish new?
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Auto Detailer quality Microfiber rags and something like Quik Detailer from Meguiars. I use that same stuff on my Plasma screen. Light swirls that might accumulate over the years you can easily polish them out by hand with Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0 (worked great on my used Sunfire that had obviously been cleaned with paper towels and had plenty of spider webs/swirl marks.) Swirl marks haven't returned using a proper cleaning method after the initial polish when I brought it home. Ultimate Quik Detailer (black bottle) will give more "pop" than normal Quik detailer but costs more and wouldn't use that stuff on a display screen. Whatever you do, quality Microfiber rags and some type of lubrication is pretty much it - doesn't have to be the Meguiars brand (it's just readily available everywhere and is quality/trustworthy stuff).

Comment

• HedgeHog
      • Dec 2008

I'm worried that using a polymer-based car detailing product may not be optimal for wood. The guitar guys always suggested using stuff that lets the material breathe. So I purchased a piano care polish (after it's 'piano' black) that also helps minimize static. Something like this may work: http://www.corycare.com/Merchant/mer...gory_Code=A1AC

-Hedwig
      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

thanks for that bit of info. That should definitely be the first rule: Never use paper towels! Only use Microfibre cleaning cloths!

Given the finish may already be sealed due to the finishing method, auto detailing products may actually work. However, I would be concerned if there would be any discoloration overtime. The piano specific cleaning products do look interesting and probably a better fit. What it really comes down to is the type of Piano Black B&W has chosen.

Upon further looking into this topic, there appears to be two types of Piano Finish: lacquer and polyester. The latter is supposedly harder, hence less susceptible to abrasion. I wonder which type B&W has chosen?

Keep 'em coming folks! If it were'nt for that informative Maintenance thread back then I likely wouldn't have received the top dollar value for my trade-in's today.

Comment

• gerardhn
          • Jun 2005

I have piano black !

No need for maintenance....! as long you dont touch nothing happens!

every week I remove only dust from black marlan head because there thin layer of dust.

Body? Nothing happens! Dont touch.

Thank You.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
            • May 2005

I think the piano black looks awesome if you have a modern contemporary design to your house and furnishings.

When I was in the B&W showroom, the salesman told me the piano black looks great as long as you don't touch them...unless you have kids or lots of people in your music room I don't think the maintenance should be much of an issue. I have a black car though and that is a PIA to keep clean!

Comment

• ninja12
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
              I have a black car though and that is a PIA to keep clean!
              That's one statement I can agree with 3 times. I have 3 black vehicles, and they are definitely a PITA to keep clean; but, once they are clean, they look really good. :B :B

As for the speakers, I have 802Ds, and I use a micro-fiber cloth to clean the marlan head. So far, no swirls and they are still very shiny.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

hi,
                I go have my new 802DI in piano black next week too.

I'm a little "scary" for the color...I have always had Rosenut from B&W....

now the Rosenut is not available : Piano black o Cherry. I decide for the Black.

(next Rosenut release is 1 month, I don't will wait this time without speaker)

If was a "llittle" 805-804di without doubt : piano black but a big 802di is another thing....

like gerardhn say me the marlan head is too a black part to clean.
                is the "last speaker" was a 804-803" with the new 802 for the upgrade the "marlan" is a news too......

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

dust is an issue with piano black, my JL Audio F113 need dusting once a week :T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• JürgenW
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by scanido
                    thanks for that bit of info. That should definitely be the first rule: Never use paper towels! Only use Microfibre cleaning cloths!
                    There are different kind of Microfibre cleaning cloths: some for general use, some for sensitive surfaces like glass or shining lacquers. In general one can recognize the kind of type when seeing and touching them: how softer there are how better they are suited for sensitive surfaces.

(I know this because the surfaces of our kitchen has a sensitive surface: a shining lacquer.)

I would only use a dust cloth, (probably with some kind of anti static).

Comment

• gerardhn
                      • Jun 2005

I recall:
                      it is simple!
                      No wax, no chemicals.
                      Nothing happens with the body... just dont touch.!

Only marlan head and horizontal area around it (and of course plastic foot)

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

I go receive my 802Di in Piano black next week.

At fisrt the Rosenut was my choice but after a discusin with my freind from Classe/B&W and the piece available in a few day I decide for the Piano black

for the maintenance B&W send me a "polish" marked B&W: made for the speaker B&W in Piano black :T

not other "extern product" only what the brand of made for your speakers :W

of course only Microfibre cloths.

Style

Comment

• gerardhn
                          • Jun 2005

Style,

Now you say I remember that B&W polish exists.
                          They forgot to give me.
                          May I ask for it as after service??

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Do not use any thing on it it will damage the finish!
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dukester
                              • Sep 2010

My REL's (Piano Blk) Instruction Manual recommends using Griot's Spray on Wax...
                              McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Wax builds up and destroys your wood

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"