X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Upgrade path

I will be upgrading my analogue set up electronics. Currently using Rotel RC-1082 pre and RB-1092 amp - about a year old. I have decided to go the route of McIntosh C2200 (tube pre) and MC252 (SS amp). The two together just took me away - like Calgon. I bought the pre used locally (don't want to ship tube equipment) and will buy the MC252 new locally. Now, to break this to the wifey (the Omega I bought her last week should have been a clue). Wish me luck. The current Rotel will be sold eventually - both units are silver.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

miner,

The Mac's should be quite excellent for you. They do all things extremely well. I have a MC252 on a pair of 802D's, so I have no doubt they will drive your 804's supremely.

Enjoy that set-up.
    Last edited by htsteve; 29 September 2009, 20:21 Tuesday.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
      miner,

The Mac's should be quite excellent for you. They do all things extremely well. I have a NC252 on a pair of 802D's, so I have no doubt they will drive your 804's supremely.

Enjoy that set-up.
      htsteve,
      My equipment will be in a cabinet - opened at the back, doors in front. Does the MC252 get hot?

This is my analogue setup so the speakers will Dynaudio 52SE + Sub20A.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

Finally got the equipment installed - sounds wonderful, still breaking amp in. The preamp (tubes) gets warmer than the amp. I have ordered some cooling fans from Component Cool. These will set on top of the map and preamp. For my ICs I used a pair of Audioquest Colorado XLR cables. I need to decide whether to plug the amp into the APC H15 conditioner or leave it plugged into the wall outlet.
        Last edited by miner; 29 September 2009, 13:23 Tuesday.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

miner,

Sorry I didn't answer you regarding the amp heat. As you've discovered, the amp does not get very warm. Mine does not get very warm driving B&W 802D's.

I would leave the amp plugged into the wall. The APC may limit current, even if it says it doesn't.

Enjoy that setup!

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by miner
            Finally got the equipment installed - sounds wonderful
            How much more wonderful than your Rotel set-up?

Does the Rotel set-up have any advantages?

Nigel.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

As much as I enjoyed the Class D design of the RB-1092 the MC252 Class A/B just seems to open up the dynamics, especially at the top end - a fuller sonic character. The RB-1092 is a wondereful amp and a great performer for the money - I have no regrets owning it. In fact I have another one in my main family room setup. The only advantage the Rotel setup has over the Mc is physical wt. The MC252 is 95 lbs and was a struggle moving around.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

As much as I enjoyed the Class D design of the RB-1092 the MC252 Class A/B just seems to open up the dynamics, especially at the top end - a fuller sonic character. The RB-1092 is a wondereful amp and a great performer for the money - I have no regrets owning it. In fact I have another one in my main family room setup. The only advantage the Rotel setup has over the Mc is physical wt. The MC252 is 95 lbs and was a struggle moving around.
                What about the preamp? Have you done any chopping and changing between the C2200 and the 1082 - e.g. using the same amp - to determine the differences between the two preamps?

Nigel.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

No I have not - yet. I will as time allows.

BTW, those of you with RC-1082 and have the LED window to indicate if Tone Controls are on or not, mine was not lighting up so I called Rotel and they swore up & down that there was no such window on the unit, just a graphic to show On/Off. Mine DOES have a window with an LED (or I assume it is an LED in the window).

Comment

• Ferres
                    • Jan 2007

No I have not - yet. I will as time allows.

BTW, those of you with RC-1082 and have the LED window to indicate if Tone Controls are on or not, mine was not lighting up so I called Rotel and they swore up & down that there was no such window on the unit, just a graphic to show On/Off. Mine DOES have a window with an LED (or I assume it is an LED in the window).
                    It appears to be a rectangular painted box, not an LED window, but it does look like one.

Comment

• miner
                      • Mar 2005

Actually, mine is a window milled out of the aluminum faceplate. Possibly an early production model?

Comment

• rantzmar
                        • May 2009

I too have decided to start upgrading. My first upgrade was the CDP. I have the RCC 1055 CDP. Its a very good CDP, but I decided to get the Musical Fidelity X-Rayv8.

Rantzmar
                        Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"