X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Connecting Oppo Blu-Ray to Rotel 1069

Hello All.

As the title of this post suggests, I need some advice connecting the Oppo to my Rotel 1069. I would simply like to use the single HDMI cable into one of the HDMI inputs. I would like the following things to occur:

1) Allow the Rotel processor to handle all DTS/Dolby Digital processing;
    2) All SACD processing done onboard the oppo and sent to the rotel;
    3) Let the Oppo process the blu-ray "lossless codecs" such as DTS-HD and pass it to the Rotel;
    4) Let the Rotel process the 2CH audio for CD playback.

I believe #1 and #3 may not be able to happen with a single configuration.
    I may have to assign a 2nd digital input or use a digital co-ax/optical cable.

Any suggestions? Do any of you have this combination in your system?

Thanks in advance!
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

All of it can be done pretty easily. The only issue is running out of inputs. Since the RSP-1069 will let you set up more than one input using the same connectors you can make it work. Let's assume you are using HDMI 1 from the Oppo and Coax 1 as well.

For BD playback use the Video 1 input and set up HDMI 1 for video and HDMI audio

For CD playback use the CD input and either the analog input or Coax 1 depending on what DACs you want to use.

For DVD playback use the Video 2 input and set up HDMI for video and Coax 1 for audio.

For SACD you can use the Video 1 input and set up you have there or set up Video 3 the same way and just rename it SACD.

Eric

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

You may be able to setup the Oppo to only decode the HD/SACD bitstreams and pass all others.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

is the OPPO converter better than the one in the Rotel ?
        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

You can easily do this.

bitstream lossy to rotel and send PCM for SACD, DTS MA and DTHD all through the HDMI.

Comment

• HiRez
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chanlon
            Hello All.

As the title of this post suggests, I need some advice connecting the Oppo to my Rotel 1069. I would simply like to use the single HDMI cable into one of the HDMI inputs. I would like the following things to occur:

1) Allow the Rotel processor to handle all DTS/Dolby Digital processing;
            2) All SACD processing done onboard the oppo and sent to the rotel;
            3) Let the Oppo process the blu-ray "lossless codecs" such as DTS-HD and pass it to the Rotel;
            4) Let the Rotel process the 2CH audio for CD playback.

I believe #1 and #3 may not be able to happen with a single configuration.
            I may have to assign a 2nd digital input or use a digital co-ax/optical cable.

Any suggestions? Do any of you have this combination in your system?

Thanks in advance!
            One caveat before we get to the subject (from the Oppo BDP-83 manual):
            If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all.
            Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels.

Also from the Oppo BDP-83 manual:
            • If your receiver supports HDMI v1.3 with decoding capability for high resolution lossless audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, please set these audio format options:
            o Secondary Audio: Off (or On if you need secondary audio)
            o HDMI Audio: Bitstream
            o SACD Output: PCM (or DSD if the receiver supports DSD over HDMI)
            o Coaxial Optical Output: (any – not in use)
            o LPCM Rate Limit: (any – not in use)
            • If your receiver supports HDMI v1.1/1.2 Multi-Channel PCM audio, but not high resolution lossless audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, please set these audio format options:
            o Secondary Audio: Off (or On if you need secondary audio)
            o HDMI Audio: LPCM
            o SACD Output: PCM (or DSD if the receiver supports DSD over HDMI)
            o Coaxial Optical Output: (any – not in use)
            o LPCM Rate Limit: (any – not in use)
            In this configuration you can enjoy all audio formats using the HDMI connection.

Based on this, it does not look like you have too many options, as setting HDMI audio to LPCM disables coax/optical output(had it not, you would have been able to set that one as bitstream, and sent DTS/Dolby Digital, CD and HDCD). Due diligence calls for the verification of this; is it merely not accessible from the menu or physically turned off?
            However, I performed the following experiment:
            Connecting PS3 to a TV, which can handle some codecs, results in a short list of formats PS3 is willing to send out. Connecting PS3 to a processor, well versed in many codecs, results in a much longer list.
            This leads me to think that the source may discover the capabilities of the other end, although I do not know if this is common behavior!
            You may want to try something based on my experiment.
            1.Set Oppo's HDMI output to bitstream.
            2.Put in a dvd disc and verify that decoding is done on the 1069.
            3.Put in a blu-ray disc, select TrueHD or DTS-MA soundtrack and verify that decoding is not done by the 1069. This is crucial, because, upon discovery, the source may send good old DD insted of TrueHD.
            Of course, there is the manual solution of toggling your BDPs HDMI output selection between "bitstream"(when the 1069 is to decode) and "lpcm"(when Oppo is to decode) based on the content (not fun, I know).
            Please, let us know how this plays out.
            Last edited by HiRez; 03 September 2009, 16:17 Thursday.

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

Thank you for responding. It was very easy to do as mentioned:

"You can easily do this.

bitstream lossy to rotel and send PCM for SACD, DTS MA and DTHD all through the HDMI"

Thanks again!

Comment

• HiRez
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chanlon
                Thank you for responding. It was very easy to do as mentioned:

"You can easily do this.

bitstream lossy to rotel and send PCM for SACD, DTS MA and DTHD all through the HDMI"

Thanks again!
                Could you please tell exactly which menu and what items under that menu you used to accomplish this?
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"