Clear All
  • eriblist
    • Jan 2009

Some who have heard about "rotel" new Rsp with screen

Or should it not be some new Rsp with screen
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Rotel will have an RSP-1590 at CEDIA or shortly thereafter. It will have an LCD screen on it like the RSP-1098 and will retail for $4000.00 - $4500.00US. From what I understand the plan is to ship it before the end of the year. Hopefully we will find out more at CEDIA.

Eric

Comment

• HiRez
      • Aug 2007

Any news about getting HDMI audio into the good old RSP-1098?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by HiRez
        Any news about getting HDMI audio into the good old RSP-1098?
        I'm pretty sure you won't see any more upgrades for the 1098.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Anymore... like there was any in the first place! Bit of a joke for a modula system.

Fish

Edited to add..... But knowing the timescale at which Rotel release products, give it another couple of years and they'll release something. :rofl:

Comment

• HiRez
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Fishy
            Anymore... like there was any in the first place! Bit of a joke for a modula system.

Fish

Edited to add..... But knowing the timescale at which Rotel release products, give it another couple of years and they'll release something. :rofl:
            What is worse is that they do not have anything in the 10XX series with HDMI 1.3. I do not want to go to the 15XX series because of the other 10XX gear I have and I am extremely pleased with their looks and sound.
            It cannot be that hard to replace the current DSP board with a HDMI board that extracts audio (which has been decoded at the source) and preferably apply bass management and contour. Or they can come up with a 10XX external co-processor that does audio and video controlled by the 1098.
            My point is RSP-1098, a wonderful processor in its day (and still is for what it does), should be allowed to grow.
            I would like to hear what Rotel product design and marketing has to say to the owners of their flagship product, RSP-1098.
            I, for one, am not interested in the 15xx processor as I have other 10XX products. If I am not going to be able to keep 10XX looks throughout, and abandon the investment I made in their flagship product, there are many processors in the market. In other words, it is difficult for me to buy the upcoming flagship product given that the current one, in my opinion, was not allowed to evolve.

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

What is worse is that they do not have anything in the 10XX series with HDMI 1.3. I do not want to go to the 15XX series because of the other 10XX gear I have and I am extremely pleased with their looks and sound.
              It cannot be that hard to replace the current DSP board with a HDMI board that extracts audio (which has been decoded at the source) and preferably apply bass management and contour. Or they can come up with a 10XX external co-processor that does audio and video controlled by the 1098.
              My point is RSP-1098, a wonderful processor in its day (and still is for what it does), should be allowed to grow.
              I would like to hear what Rotel product design and marketing has to say to the owners of their flagship product, RSP-1098.
              I, for one, am not interested in the 15xx processor as I have other 10XX products. If I am not going to be able to keep 10XX looks throughout, and abandon the investment I made in their flagship product, there are many processors in the market. In other words, it is difficult for me to buy the upcoming flagship product given that the current one, in my opinion, was not allowed to evolve.
              I agree. I'd like to try the new CD player but dont want miss matched equipment.
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• JRachwalski
                • Jun 2008

You do not need HDMI1.3.
                The 10series will handle the new formats if your player will decode - which most do.

The only thing you do not have is "deep color" - which no one has regardless of their HDMI version as there have been no movie releases that utilize this feature.

I have directly compared both the 1069 and the 1575 - and there was ZERO audible difference. This was with both the 1085 and the 1575 multichannel amps.

If you want to gripe about something, how about the fact that there is no room correction, no support for media devices (iPod, streaming, networking), no second HD ouput, no digital of any kind for the second zones etc.

I had my choice of either processor - and I instead choose to stick with my Denon 4308 receiver. The minimal sound quality improvement of the Rotel was easily trumped by the Denon's flexibility and 2nd HD output.

Comment

• HiRez
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by JRachwalski
                  The only thing you do not have is "deep color" - which no one has regardless of their HDMI version as there have been no movie releases that utilize this feature.
                  No such movie releases yet.

Since my display device supports it, I do not see why I should settle for an obsolete version of HDMI. By the way, HDMI 1.4 is the current version (yet to see in CE devices), even 1.3 is about to become obsolete.
                  If Rotel was to implement HDMI audio for RSP-1098, they should go for the latest HDMI, since new video features do not add any burden, just relay the incoming video.

Comment

• Chucka
                    • Aug 2009

Any indication if this unit or any other new unit from Rotel will include Room EQ electronics?

Chucka

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                      • Oct 2007

To give Rotel their dues ... was there any suggestion from Rotel that the RSP1098 would ever be upgradable? I know it has a modular construction, but that was as much down to Rotel getting the best signal paths than actual promise of upgrades I think.

In fact they did do an upgrade - adding a HDMI switcher IIRC.

Eloise

Comment

• HiRez
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                        To give Rotel their dues ... was there any suggestion from Rotel that the RSP1098 would ever be upgradable? I know it has a modular construction, but that was as much down to Rotel getting the best signal paths than actual promise of upgrades I think.

In fact they did do an upgrade - adding a HDMI switcher IIRC.

Eloise
                        On the very least they can come up with an external co-processor/DAC array to feed into the analog multichannel of the RSP-1098 and keep the 10XX looks, if coming up with a new dsp board is indeed impossible.
                        A great product such as the RSP-1098 should not become obsolete so easily.

Comment

• JRachwalski
                          • Jun 2008

No such movie releases yet.

Since my display device supports it, I do not see why I should settle for an obsolete version of HDMI. By the way, HDMI 1.4 is the current version (yet to see in CE devices), even 1.3 is about to become obsolete.
                          If Rotel was to implement HDMI audio for RSP-1098, they should go for the latest HDMI, since new video features do not add any burden, just relay the incoming video.
                          1.3 is not obsolete. Hell 1.1 isn't even obsolete.The only thing you currently gain by using 1.3 is a little light shows up on your AVR/PRO. No difference in sound quality.
                          The problem is not with Rotel. It is with HDMI, they are the ones who create new versions of the spec that are hardware and not software upgrades. This means ALL manufactures are - as you put it - obsolete.

What do you think will happen when we finally see 1.4 in products?
                          There will be 1.5.

Comment

• HiRez
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by JRachwalski
                            1.3 is not obsolete. Hell 1.1 isn't even obsolete.The only thing you currently gain by using 1.3 is a little light shows up on your AVR/PRO. No difference in sound quality..
                            I am trying to look a little bit ahead regarding the deep color feature, hence would like to keep a 1.3 link source to display.
                            I do not see many current products with 1.1.

The problem is not with Rotel. It is with HDMI, they are the ones who create new versions of the spec that are hardware and not software upgrades. This means ALL manufactures are - as you put it - obsolete.
                            Not ALL manufacturers, only those who choose not to implement. After all, HDMI is available to manufacturers; it is not one manufacturer's proprietary interconnect/protocol.
                            HW upgrade, though more difficult than SW, should be available on a modular product such as the RSP-1098.

What do you think will happen when we finally see 1.4 in products?
                            There will be 1.5
                            All the more reason for products with modular design, such as the RSP-1098 and manufacturers making good use of it.

Comment

• Fishy
                              • Jul 2004

The only upgrade I ever saw for the 1098 was only available for the US/Canadian market. Nothing for us over here in Europe.

I'd also love to know why the marketing team have to say, but I doubt they'd ever bother to be honest. They have our money, why do something like look after a high end product!

Fish

Comment

• eelco74
                                • Dec 2002

I own a 1098 but I actually don't need HDMI.

I bought an octava (www.octavainc.com) 5x2 HDMI switch, so I can view the LCD and Beamer at the same time.

This is also a smart solution: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit..._7_1audio.html Connect it to your 7.1 input on the RSP-1098 and it will decode 7.1 LPCM from HDMI.

I am waiting for the Denon 4010UD or Marantz UD7004. Both of them will have a 7.1 analogue output. Both will play and decode Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A, DVD and CD. The 1098 is a keeper for me...

Also the 1098 was advertised as a modular system, but as far as I know Rotel never promised it to be HW upgradable.
                                Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                                Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                                Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• HiRez
                                  • Aug 2007

The only upgrade I ever saw for the 1098 was only available for the US/Canadian market. Nothing for us over here in Europe.

I'd also love to know why the marketing team have to say, but I doubt they'd ever bother to be honest. They have our money, why do something like look after a high end product!

Fish
                                  I really wonder what their business plan is:
                                  i.Repeat business: Drop the owners of the flagship product in the middle of the road and expect them to come back? Seriously?
                                  ii.New business: In this economy, reeeeally!

Upgrading the RSP-1098 with HDMI audio would have been a win-win proposition. Rotel would have captured incremental revenue from the installed base and the owners of their flagship product would have been serviced well, thus strengthening brand loyalty.

Comment

• HiRez
                                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by eelco74
                                    I own a 1098 but I actually don't need HDMI.

I bought an octava (www.octavainc.com) 5x2 HDMI switch, so I can view the LCD and Beamer at the same time.

This is also a smart solution: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit..._7_1audio.html Connect it to your 7.1 input on the RSP-1098 and it will decode 7.1 LPCM from HDMI.

I am waiting for the Denon 4010UD or Marantz UD7004. Both of them will have a 7.1 analogue output. Both will play and decode Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A, DVD and CD. The 1098 is a keeper for me...

Also the 1098 was advertised as a modular system, but as far as I know Rotel never promised it to be HW upgradable.
                                    I have been aware of the Octava for a while now, thanks to this forum.
                                    I have contacted them but they don't tell what kind of DAC they are using.
                                    I am not interested in something that just does the job, I am interested in something that does an excellent job, which was the reason I went with Rotel's flagship product in the first place.
                                    Moreover I would like to preserve 10xx looks throughout my installation.
                                    In my previous posts, I mentioned that I would settle for an external processor/DAC array (like they did with the 9xx series-a seperate proc for Dolby, yet another one for DTS).
                                    If the Octava is indeed a good product may be Rotel can oem it, integrate it with the 1098 sw and give it the 10xx look that we so much love.
                                    What I would like is for Rotel to enable me to keep my beloved RSP.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"