X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macwrede
    • Apr 2009

2 Preamps to single amp?

Is it possible to connect 2 prepros to the same amp? Could I run the outputs from an RC-1070 and the front L&R from a RSP-1068 to an RB-1080 for the front speakers and use an RMB-1075 for the center and surrounds? Is there anything to be gained (or lost) by using the RC-1070 for 2-channel audio as opposed to using the RSP1068 for everything? I like the idea of the RC1070 for 2-channel audio because it has two pair of output, one of which could be used for the sub. I like to listen to my phono in bypass mode, which unfortunately also bypasses the sub. Is this do-able somehow?
  • jalyra
    • Jan 2009

I don't think there is an easy way to connect both. But definitely there is something to be gained if you can have your stereo sources connected to a dedicated preamp, but it all depends on the quality of the Pre and the HT processor, if I remember correctly, some people here has mentioned that the sound quality for analog sources of the RSP-1068(69) is very similar to the RC-1070, and actually that's one of the believed reasons why Rotel didn't include a HT bypass in the RC-1082.

Of course, the best way to do it is if your stereo preamp has a HT bypass, and Rotel finally included it in the RC-1580. I've been waiting for this unit for some time now, and when it is finally available my finances are not that good, but I'll probably have one under the christmas tree this year. 8-)

Comment

• macwrede
      • Apr 2009

Thanks for your thoughts. Since I will only be sending a signal from once source at a time to the 1080, would it be okay to use 'Y' connectors from the preamps to the 1080 inputs?

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Its possible, but preferably via a big switch. Don't go paralleling sources up (a pre-amp is the source device for the amp), that's not going to work too well.

Otherwise, as the previous poster says, you're describing the reason why HT bypass was added to processors
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

What (I think) you're trying to do is not unheard of: optimize playback of your 2-ch analog sources within a 5.1 system.

You can connect your 2-ch source components directly to the 1070, AND the 1068 Front Left / Front Right pre-outputs to the 1070 Aux In. The only issue will be volume control while playing back 5.1 material. You'll need to find a point on the 1070 volume knob that creates a balanced level when used with the 1068 for 5.1, mark it, and go back to it for 5.1 playback. After that, conveniently use the 1068 volume control for all 5 speakers during playback.

Theoretically, 2-ch should sound somewhat better this way, but the 1070 and 1068 aren't night-and-day-difference components. Hook 'em up and try it.

Again, a separate 2-ch pre in a 5.1 system is not rare. There are upscale pre's with a special HT Bypass connection that does away with the volume setup inconvenience.

Rotel's latest has it: http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/Pro...ils.htm?Id=486
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Audio_ElF
            • Oct 2007

What you need is a 2 into 1 switch. Most are labeled as 2 sources into 1 input (on an amp) for adding extra sources when all the built-in inputs are used, but most are completely passive so there is no reason you can't use them backwards.

www.goldpt.com sell high quality ones (around $300) but I'm sure you should be able to find one cheeper. I know QED in UK sold one around £50-70

Eloise

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by macwrede
              Thanks for your thoughts. Since I will only be sending a signal from once source at a time to the 1080, would it be okay to use 'Y' connectors from the preamps to the 1080 inputs?
              No. You need to use a switch (these switches are inexpensive but require the user to push a button) or feed one preamp through the other (via a HT bypass feature or an unused input).

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• macwrede
                • Apr 2009

This all sounds good until I thought about bass management.

I could continue to set my main speakers to ‘small’ and then pass the .1 channel to the sub via the subout on the 1068 pre-pro, but then I wouldn’t be able to pass anything to the sub from the 2-channel 1070 since it only has one set of inputs.

Or, I could pass the full range signal from the 1068 to the 1070, then from the 1070 to the sub and utilize the crossover in the sub to pass a filtered signal back to the amp for the mains. Is this feasible? How much would I be degrading the signal to the mains by doing this? I’m also not sure I want to invest in 2 pairs of full-range interconnects just to see how this sounds.

Or, should I just simplify this whole process and run everything through the 1068 and forget about using the 2-channel preamp?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

• Mig17
                  • Jan 2008

too complicated

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Agreed.

A separate preamp usually assumes full-range fronts.

You could add a sub, connect it to the fronts via speaker connex and run the fronts as Large.

But this is getting messy.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hi,

A by-pass possibilty: only the L&R n analog(or in digital) to listen music
                      (like all the Krell units with the passthrough!!!!)
                      and the by-pass in OFF to go with the system ni Hcinema modus....

the new Rotel have this possibility....
                      you go conect the new Rotel (or other) betwenn the multichannel processor-premapli and the power ampli.

is not so complicated ....well is more complicated write this vs. to make it.

but if you go connect a preampli stereo between the the HT units this first muss be a very great preampli! (if you will a real benefit from this operation)

If i go conect the Rotel between my Classe combo SSP800 & CA5200 don't make sense....

Style

Comment

• Tasmon
                        • Dec 2006

I have tried intergrating the rsp1068 with the rc 1082 with very good results, I would have preferred a HT bypass, but the sound for two channel was a significant improvement, but my speakers are floor standers that do not need a sub. You may consider a 2.1 preamp http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php that has HT bypass along with the ability to use the sub in two channel.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"