X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

2channel RC1070 vs. RSP1068

is there a difference in the 2 channel capabilities of the RC1070 and the RSP1068?
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

As the owner of a 1068 I have been curious about the capabilities of the 1068 in 2 channel stereo myself. Not because it is bad, just because I like to know how far off the mark the 1068 may be, it at all.

I have recently purchased an older RC 990bx 2 channel preamp which was top of 900 series a few years back. Im not sure if there was a higher or lower series at the time, perhaps someone else can tell me?

When I have compared the sound of the 1068 and the 990 2 channel pre I will report back.

I just got the 2 ch preamp today, along with a rb990bx amp, so I have some serious listening to do for a while.

I realise the 990 pre is not a 1070 pre but it is the best or closest comparison I can do for you.

I think the 990 pre was originally listed at $1275 Australian.

Pete

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

thats good enough for me, I was just trying to compare a dedicated 2 channel vs. an AV pre-pro.

thanks. will wait for your listening test

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

from what i gather a dedicated 2 channel preamp will sound better than an av pre-pro for 2ch listening.

i am in a situation where i have gotten rid of our very good video processing yamaha 2600 and now have the dilemma of getting either an av pre-pro or a 2ch pre-amp coupled with a good av receiver for ht listening. regardless of which option, we will pre-out into power amps.

the other big issue is that the bryston pre-pro for eg does not have video processing so a video switcher will also be required.

cheers,

julie
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I have owned both, (still have the 1068) and with the 1068's 2 channel bypass, it is at least as good as the 1070, if not a tad better. I realize "better" is in the ears of the beholder but it is a bute @ its price point with the addition of the surround modes to boot. I have since moved away from ss all together for 2 channel and gone tubed so , it will be interesting reading to see what the outcome is.......

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

I owned the RC-972, that sounded as good as the 1068 in direct mode.

The RC-972 and 1070 are more or less the same price range.

The 990 mentioned befor was, apart from the 995 and RHC-10 the best pre-amp they made. The 995, 990 and RHC-10 are the only ondes that willl sound better in Stereo.
            Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

Ok, here are my impressions of the 1068 prepro compared to a rc990bx 2 channel preamp, which was the top model in the 900 series a few years back.

Both units were compared using same interconnects, same amplifier and same speakers in the same room with the same cd at similar volume levels and the subwoofer was off at all times.

The only thing that changed was the preamps.

The 1068 was used in 2 channel bypass mode and stereo modes only.

Was there any difference in sound between the two preamps?
              Yes definitely and it was immediately noticeable.

How do they sound different?
              The 2 channel 990 had a very deep, rich and smooth sound that never became bright or harsh even at very loud volume levels. It smoothed out the sound in a way the 1068 could not. It was more relaxed sounding but at the expense of possibly being a bit lifeless sounding.

The 1068 in bypass mode had a similar full rich bassy sound which was perhaps not quite as smooth sounding or not quite as warm as the 990 pre.

The 1068 in both bypass and stereo modes, can at very loud volumes get brighter or harsher sounding compared to the 990pre, however in stereo mode I also found the 1068 to be much more lively sounding at moderate volumes with a tighter bass and more overall crispness and detail at the expense of being perhaps a bit thinner sounding.

So which is better?

With my setup, I like the sound of the 1068 better than the 990pre. :E
              I preferred stereo mode on the 1068, which gave a crisp tighter bass and more detail and more life to the sound. Remembering though, that it can get brighter at loud volumes and is a bit thinner sounding at all volumes.

Is the 990 pre not as good?

I wouldnt say it was worse, in fact with other setups and other speakers and for other peoples tastes it may be the better sounding unit.

I just like the crisper and maybe thinner sound of the 1068 in stereo mode.

It is possible the sound of the 1068 is more suited to my Energy speakers which I find can be very bassy.

Finally I have to agree with others in that the 1068 is a great sounding unit and the fact that you get all the home theatre modes and options etc makes it even better.

Hope this helps others with their decisions on what to buy etc. Being the owner of both these units I have no bias and have tried these units out with an open mind.

I recommend you do your own listening comparisons preferably with your own speakers in your own home and judge for yourself. Only you know what sound you like best.

Pete

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

One more thing, the 1070 preamp was not the top model and may be considered not to be as good as the 990pre amp.

Considering the above, I think the differences between a 1070 pre and a rsp 1068 pre pro would be smaller than what I found with my comparisons.

I would audition them both side by side before commiting hard earned dollars to either unit.

Pete

Comment

• mike c
                  • Dec 2005

thanks bleeding ears, btw, what amp did you use?

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

mike, I used a Rotel rb990bx, 2 x 200 watts.

Also used a Rotel 965bx cd player, so there should not be any mismatched equipment problems to take into account.

Another important point when deciding on whether a 2 channel pre is better than 2 channel on a pre pro, is that on a 2 channel pre there is very little adustment to be made to the sound, just bass and treble.

On the 990bx there was not even bass or treble, which may be useless anyway, but when you have a sophisticated processor such as the 1068 or 1098 there are almost too many options and settings which can tailor the sound to just the way you like.

The 1068 has contour (tone settings for each individual speaker), crossover (for each individual speaker), speaker size (for each individual speaker), speaker distance (for front centre rear and sub), Eq to tame harsh sounds, subwoofer crossover and volume settings and then you have settings for each sound mode such as DTS, DD, stereo plII and more.

considering all the options settings and bypass modes and the fact that it enables you to pretty much make it sound how you want , I think it is an easy decision on what to buy. Only problem is it cost more!.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"