X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildpanda86
    • Jul 2009

Rotel Room Correction Options

Just picked up an RSX-1550 a few weeks ago and have questions about room correction.

The main listening area is a big studio loft type setup with lots of hard surfaces, B&W 600 series speakers all around, and Hsu Research VTF sub.

This is receiver is much improved over my Denon AVR-2805, but am trying to see what I can do to improve the sound more.

I can't do much for room treatments, so I am looking for other options.

Any thoughts on using Velodyne's SMS-1 for automatic room correction just for the sub? While just using an SPL just for the speakers? and playing with the Contour settings?

What's the best way to measure and set the Contour tone settings for each speaker?

Audyssey has a standalone device... but it's $$$... and I would need to put it inline between my receiver and an external amp which is even more $$$

Any cheaper options that don't include selling my RSX-1550 for another brand?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

SPL and SMS

wildpanda86,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T you will find lots of good information here.

Very nice system you have. and a very nice upgrade in receivers. You will enjoy the Rotel, especially with the 600 series speakers.

As to your questions. Lets start with the SMS idea for your sub. My response is: absolutely. I have the Velodyne DD18 with the SMS built in. It's an excellent tool that is pretty easy to use and generates excellent results. The DD18 was initially calibrated to my room last year. This year I put in some room treatments and then I rebalanced the sub. The in room response is nearly flat from 15 Hz to 80 Hz. I love it. The SMS is a bit pricey new, but well worth it (especially if you can get one on speacial or maybe used).

Now, onto the 1550. Room calibrating packages are nice, but the Rotel does not have one. As for some basic settings, I would recommend that ALL speakers be set to Small, and that your initial crossover point to the sub be 80-100 Hz.

You mention a very good way to set up your speakers: an SPL meter (Radio Shack analog, $50) and a good calibration disc (like Digital Video essentials, DVE, or AVIA, $25 or so). You would use the SPL to balance all your speakers to reference at your listening point. That's a good thing to do after every major change in the system.

As to the contour controls. I' personall never used them in any of my gear. I prefere to balance the system and let the music just be the music. I prefer to 'touch' the signal as few times as possible. However, once you balance your system, if you want to play with them a bit to see how you like it, by all means try it. That the beauty of what we do. A little experimentation can soemtimes be a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wildpanda86
      • Jul 2009

I wish the music could just be the music in my setup, but there are too many reflective surfaces.

However I was able to smooth it out some I think... does this sound right?

1) level match and set distance for all my speakers + sub with my SPL
      2) set all speakers to small and crossovers at 80hz
      3) Used a setup disc from HsuResearch that has a bunch of test tones starting at 10hz and measured the spl as the frequency went higher and higher
      4) starting at 50-80 hz started playing with the sub phase to get a smoother response at each freq, set the sub to 2 ports open and 25hz response rather than 18hz and 1 port, and sub level on the receiver is now at +6 (and at 2oclock position on the sub)
      5) the adjusted the HF controls to try and get a smoother response at th higher freq and the LF at the lower freq... first just for the 2 front speakers then all 5 speakers... then tried to isolate each speaker to set the HF so they all sound similar... ended up with global contour of HF -3, LF +3 & for my surrounds the HF is at min & LF +2.

6) finally double checked with the SPL with a downwards test tone sweep & don't notice any dips or big spikes in the freq...

Now everything seems to sound great... even before this it sounded great... now it seems like the midbass and bass is punchier and instruments have more seperation.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Rotel needs to get with the program and offer Room correction. I know thats a tall order for a already nice receiver/preamp they made with the new 15 series but I think it would extremely useful.

If you preform a calibration , you can pick up a Video Essentials Disk by Joe Kane and that will help you get more out of it. If you need any help understanding Calibration, I can help.

Comment

• Nuthed
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Dmantis
          Rotel needs to get with the program and offer Room correction. I know thats a tall order for a already nice receiver/preamp they made with the new 15 series but I think it would extremely useful.

If you preform a calibration , you can pick up a Video Essentials Disk by Joe Kane and that will help you get more out of it. If you need any help understanding Calibration, I can help.
          +1 on this. Anybody who has used room correction to it's full potential knows very well the benefits you can get from it. Some companies use Audyssey and other manufacturers have their own proprietary room correction that I assume work similar. The receiver in my main HT has Audyssey and I really like it.

With Rotel's smaller size I assume they probably didn't want to or couldn't afford the Audyssey licensing. I expect them to either deliver a proprietary technology or start using Audyssey fairly soon.
          Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
          RB980-BX driving mains
          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
          Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
          Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
          SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"