X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

I have a idea?

This maybe a little strange but I was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar.I have the 1069 which has digital out on it.With my current setup I am constantly bottoming out the subs as I like earth rattling bass.I have a extra digital receiver and a set of speakers with 15 inch woofers in them.Can I go from the digital out on the 1069 to the digital inputs on the other receiver.What I am thinking is disconnecting the tweeter and mid drivers on the second system and just running the woofers.The setting would be fronts set to large along with all other speakers set to large in the second system so that the LFE channel would be directed to the 2, 15 inch woofers.The bass on the speakers with the 15 inch woofers will rattle the house.Would this work?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Opus007,

This makes sense to me. Sounds like this would work. Try it and see.
    You were considering a sub, as I recall. Is that shelved for the moment?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The digital output will only work on digital ins. Not HDMI or analog.

Why not just leave everything like it is now, run the two sub outputs to an input on the other receiver and hook the 15" speakers up to it?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
        Opus007,

This makes sense to me. Sounds like this would work. Try it and see.
        You were considering a sub, as I recall. Is that shelved for the moment?
        Yes it did work.I am looking for alternatives to subs and sort of experimenting.New subs are still a good possibility.

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
          The digital output will only work on digital ins. Not HDMI or analog.

Why not just leave everything like it is now, run the two sub outputs to an input on the other receiver and hook the 15" speakers up to it?

Kevin D.
          That is a great idea and even though the other idea worked I found that configuring the 2 together is a real pain.If I turn the volume up on the 1069 or down then I have to go into the other unit and reconfigure the volume as it does not show the volume when turning up or down.So I would either have to have a set volume on both and stay with that or reconfigure every time.And since some dvd's or blurays are louder than others ....well looks like maybe it is time for new subs as posted over in the B&W forum.Also the digital outs do work when I am feeding the 1069 a digital signal via hdmi.

Comment

• JRachwalski
            • Jun 2008

If you like the bass form the CV's judt get an amp to power them, taking the sub out from the Rotel and splitting it. Then you can DIY a better box for the CV's.
            If you do take the sub out from the Rotel you may want to bypass the internal passive cross-over that is inside the CV.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Opus007
              Also the digital outs do work when I am feeding the 1069 a digital signal via hdmi.
              Good to know. Does it just work with Dolby/DTS/Stereo signals? What happens with a high-res MPCM signal?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you do use the sub-out, you will only need to set the level on the second receiver once. The sub-out changes with the Rotel volume. The digital output is at a fixed level.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Good to know. Does it just work with Dolby/DTS/Stereo signals? What happens with a high-res MPCM signal?

Kevin D.
                  Yes it works with dolby digital.I did not test for pcm and dts ect.

Comment

• Opus007
                    • Nov 2007

If you do use the sub-out, you will only need to set the level on the second receiver once. The sub-out changes with the Rotel volume. The digital output is at a fixed level.

Kevin D.
                    What a excellent idea Kevin and thanks for the suggestion as I did just that and I am now shaking things off the shelves.Took a little while to get it set up right and laid the speaker cabinets on their side and it really is awesome now.So for now the idea of new subs is out the window as I can live with this setup.I do not use subs when listening to music so this works out great.Thanks again. :T ;x(

Comment

• TommyV
                      • Feb 2007

So your 2xASW300, you are not happy with and that is why you are trying to rig up a second receiver for these 15" speakers?

Comment

• Opus007
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TommyV
                        So your 2xASW300, you are not happy with and that is why you are trying to rig up a second receiver for these 15" speakers?
                        Ya...unfortunately.They are very good subs but I am a bass hog when it comes to movies.I want the earth to move when something blows up.I have always been a little disappointed with the asw300's but it is not their fault as they only have 8" drivers in them and in all reality you cannot expect that from such small drivers.
                        Coming from large speakers to the 600 series I gained clarity,sound stage and pure music bliss.But for ht it has always lacked in the low end department with the subs for me.Before the asw300 I had a asw610 and the asw610xp and neither of those did it for me either.I went to the 300's because I felt they put out better bass plus the others where closed box and I prefer a ported enclosure.If I was not a bass hog then I would have the perfect setup for me all the way around.The subs will be up on Audiogon very soon.

Comment

• TommyV
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Opus007
                          Ya...unfortunately.They are very good subs but I am a bass hog when it comes to movies.I want the earth to move when something blows up.I have always been a little disappointed with the asw300's but it is not their fault as they only have 8" drivers in them and in all reality you cannot expect that from such small drivers.
                          Coming from large speakers to the 600 series I gained clarity,sound stage and pure music bliss.But for ht it has always lacked in the low end department with the subs for me.Before the asw300 I had a asw610 and the asw610xp and neither of those did it for me either.I went to the 300's because I felt they put out better bass plus the others where closed box and I prefer a ported enclosure.If I was not a bass hog then I would have the perfect setup for me all the way around.The subs will be up on Audiogon very soon.
                          If you really want some awesome bass sell all that other stuff and get two of these SVS Cylinder Subs.

Comment

• Opus007
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TommyV
                            If you really want some awesome bass sell all that other stuff and get two of these SVS Cylinder Subs.
                            Looks very nice.I am considering building a sub with the same bash amp.There are some really nice DIY projects and I could build 2 subs for what I would pay for a good one.I have to do a little more reading and research first though.Since cvs is a online only company I can not demo even though so far I have read nothing but good about them and if I do not do a DIY project svs is on the top of my list.A question though....what is the advantage of a top firing sub cylinder?

Comment

• TommyV
                              • Feb 2007

It is bottom firing. There is a port on top. These SVS cylinder subs have been know as reference subs for a long time. There is plenty to read about them. I think that is a good deal and you won't get better with DIY. If you are serious about selling you ASW300s I may want one for my bedroom. PM me all the info and maybe we can may a deal!

SVS Bottom 12" driver

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"