X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

RSP-1069 question.

I read this in the manual and not sure what it means.Does this mean that when multi channel mode is selected there is no LFE Chanel?I am auditioning the 1069 and seem to be having a problem getting bass to subs.When I use a slp meter to configuer there is little bass coming through the subs.Thanks.I am using ps3 and doing pcm over hdmi.

NOTE: In Dolby Digital and DTS recordings, the
    LFE channel is used to produce spectacular
    low bass effects, placing considerable demands
    on your subwoofer system. If you hear
    distortion or other signs of distress from your
    subwoofer at loud listening levels, you may
    consider reducing the subwoofer level for the
    Dolby Digital and/or DTS surround modes. In
    other surround modes, there is no LFE channel
    and the subwoofer will only reproduce redirected
    bass from the other channels, which
    is not as likely to tax the subwoofer
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

What that statement is saying is with a two channel signal that is processed into Pro Logic, 5CH Stereo, etc that there is no separate bass, or LFE, channel. The bass that goes to the sub is "redirected" from the other channels.

As for the problem you're having, is the level in the MULTI INPUT in the SUBWOOFER SETUP page turned down? I have a co-worker that has a PS3 with an RSP-1069 and it works great.

Eric

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

No I have that set at max in multi level input.I was going to get rid of my sony receiver but...the bass is full and thundering with the sony.I can not get the same out of the 1069.I know the inputs are hdmi 1.1 , would using a hdmi 1.3 cable matter.If I configure all speakers with my spl meter the same there is little bass to the subs. I really love the sound but it is lacking in bass and I have 2 subs.And only over hdmi and using pcm. Also there are no surround modes available when using pcm.On the sony there are multiple sound modes available with pcm.Want to really like this pre but am getting frustrated.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Speakers set to small?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Yes all set to small and crossed over at 80.

Comment

• peepaj
            • Jan 2009

I had a similar problem when I replaced my Nad T773 with a 1069, when I ran the test tone to set up my speakers (75dbs) my spl meter read the subs as being hi, I ended up with the subs turned down so far that they were barely audible, yet the spl meter was reading 75dbs. Ended up using the THX optimizer on the DVD “Cars” to set the subs. Did you have the same type problem when you did your setup?

Rotel RSP-1069
            Rotel RDV-1093
            Rotel RCD-1072
            Rotel RT-1084
            Rotel RB-1092 (x2)
            Rotel RB-1091
            Monster AVS-2000 (voltage regulator)
            Pureav PF60 (power conditioner)
            Paradigm Studio 100s v3
            Paradigm Studio 20s v3
            Paradigm CC-570
            Paradigm Servo-15 v2 (sub 1)
            Boston Acoustics PV800 (sub 2)

Comment

• Opus007
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by peepaj
              I had a similar problem when I replaced my Nad T773 with a 1069, when I ran the test tone to set up my speakers (75dbs) my spl meter read the subs as being hi, I ended up with the subs turned down so far that they were barely audible, yet the spl meter was reading 75dbs. Ended up using the THX optimizer on the DVD “Cars” to set the subs. Did you have the same type problem when you did your setup?

Rotel RSP-1069
              Rotel RDV-1093
              Rotel RCD-1072
              Rotel RT-1084
              Rotel RB-1092 (x2)
              Rotel RB-1091
              Monster AVS-2000 (voltage regulator)
              Pureav PF60 (power conditioner)
              Paradigm Studio 100s v3
              Paradigm Studio 20s v3
              Paradigm CC-570
              Paradigm Servo-15 v2 (sub 1)
              Boston Acoustics PV800 (sub 2)
              Yes same problem.Got to reading in the manual and it says not to use a digital cable for the sub, so I replaced it with a analog one and now all is fine.This maybe a keeper.I think the sony I have does a better job of the video processing but not by much.As for sound the Rotel wins hands down.Its just a pain trying to figuer the menu's all out but I have it all configured and if I can just get past the slight difference in video quality it will be a keeper.My pj is only 720p.Is the Rotel still processing the video after it is being sent a 720p signal.I have the Rotel setup for only 480p and 720p.I read that there is a upgrade for pass through so will ask the dealer but as of now I think it is a keeper and I have none of the video switching problems others have .
              And on a side note: I have the Rotel RC 1070 stereo pre and the 1069 seems to sound better than the 1070 in 2 channel.Another plus. :T

Comment

• peepaj
                • Jan 2009

I don't use the video processor in the 1069. There is a by-pass board that can be installed and an software upgrade to address it. I had the dealer send mine in for this before I took delivery. Check in the threads for more on this as there are a few threads that dicuss this.

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Contacted Rotel about the upgrade but of course got the general delivery mail box.Then called my dealer as we had not discussed price as of yet.Is 1200.00 a good deal on this?Comes with full warranty ect...?It is a demo unit and is in A-1 conditioned.I would rather send it into Rotel myself as my dealer is a little slow on things like that.Can I do this?

Comment

• Opus007
                    • Nov 2007

Rotel just contacted me and confirmed they will do the bypass upgrade and firmware for free.Thanks all for the help. ;x(

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

$1200 isn't bad, but they were closing out as low as $900. Being a demo though, your dealer didn't pay closeout prices for it..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
                        • Nov 2007

Thanks Kevin for the info...yes my dealer paid whatever they pay but he said he would see how much he had into it and we would go from there.I am going to keep the unit just need to haggle price now.

Comment

• Opus007
                          • Nov 2007

Kevin, Can you tell me if there is any video degradation after the bypass board is installed.Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Should be none, it essentially makes the HDMI ports just a switch.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                              Should be none, it essentially makes the HDMI ports just a switch.

Kevin D.
                              Reason I ask is because with the sony receiver I have been using I have it set to bypass any processing and the picture on my pj is just great.With the Rotel 1069 I have the ps3 set to 720p and the 1069 set to 720p(as my pj is 720p) and the picture is a lot darker to where dark scenes are way to dark and detail is replaced with black.And also white is washed out.Is the 1069 taking the 720p signal and re-processing it or adding something to it?I am starting to think that I may not want to take a chance of buying it and then having the upgrade and it still looking dark.I agree that bypass is and should be no more than a switch.Can anyone who has had the mode done give me some insight.Thanks for the help.I was going to take it to the dealer to have it sent to Rotel on friday and need some more input.

Comment

• chanlon
                                • Sep 2003

Get the bypass done. Once activated, it appears to act just like a switch as mentioned by Kevin. I see no loss in quality on my 50" Plasma.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Opus007
                                  Reason I ask is because with the sony receiver I have been using I have it set to bypass any processing and the picture on my pj is just great.With the Rotel 1069 I have the ps3 set to 720p and the 1069 set to 720p(as my pj is 720p) and the picture is a lot darker to where dark scenes are way to dark and detail is replaced with black.And also white is washed out.Is the 1069 taking the 720p signal and re-processing it or adding something to it?I am starting to think that I may not want to take a chance of buying it and then having the upgrade and it still looking dark.I agree that bypass is and should be no more than a switch.Can anyone who has had the mode done give me some insight.Thanks for the help.I was going to take it to the dealer to have it sent to Rotel on friday and need some more input.

Right. Without the bypass, it still goes through the scaler (whether scaled or not) and the scaler only outputs RGB HDMI which will produce the mentioned image if you projector doesn't accept it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Opus007
                                    • Nov 2007

Right. Without the bypass, it still goes through the scaler (whether scaled or not) and the scaler only outputs RGB HDMI which will produce the mentioned image if you projector doesn't accept it.

Kevin D.
                                    Sorry to beat a dead horse...but I have read all the posts about this RGB thing.I think my pj accepts RGB as it has a rgb setup and that is what color scheme I have been using.In my PS3 I have it set to rgb full.I can set it to rgb limited but it washes out the color and the blacks.Like I said with the ,sony or direct to pj there is no problem.I tried setting the pj to output 1080p and 1069 to output 1080p and let the pj down scale it and looks a little better but not as good as direct or through the Sony.So my question is...is this the picture I can expect with the mod and set to bypass as if I am understanding the previous posts about the 1069 video issue that setting the pj to 1080p and 1069 to 1080p the scalier is being bypassed.It still seems there is some processing going on with the 1080p settings.Can you confirm that.Thanks.

Comment

• hery19
                                      • Jul 2008

Sorry to beat a dead horse...but I have read all the posts about this RGB thing.I think my pj accepts RGB as it has a rgb setup and that is what color scheme I have been using.In my PS3 I have it set to rgb full.I can set it to rgb limited but it washes out the color and the blacks.Like I said with the ,sony or direct to pj there is no problem.I tried setting the pj to output 1080p and 1069 to output 1080p and let the pj down scale it and looks a little better but not as good as direct or through the Sony.So my question is...is this the picture I can expect with the mod and set to bypass as if I am understanding the previous posts about the 1069 video issue that setting the pj to 1080p and 1069 to 1080p the scalier is being bypassed.It still seems there is some processing going on with the 1080p settings.Can you confirm that.Thanks.
                                      I currently have basically the same setup you have, a 1069 with a 1075. My 1069 came with the bypass upgrade already installed when I bought it and if you select the video hdmi bypass from the menu that is basically what your'e doing, bypassing any video scaling. I let my 1080p DLP tv do the video scaling and everything works fine. So to answer your question the picture you will see is the picture that your'e pj and source produces if you select the bypass mode in the 1069.
                                      Hope this helps!
                                      TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
                                      Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
                                      Amp: Monolith 7X
                                      Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
                                      Sub: SVS PB 3000
                                      Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
                                      Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
                                      Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

question is...is this the picture I can expect with the mod and set to bypass as if I am understanding the previous posts about the 1069 video issue that setting the pj to 1080p and 1069 to 1080p the scalier is being bypassed.It still seems there is some processing going on with the 1080p settings.Can you confirm that.Thanks.
                                        Setting everything to 1080p without the bypass installed bypasses the scaling portion of the scaler, but it still goes through some processing by the scaler(colorspace, etc). Confused yet?

With the bypass installed, it shuts down all functionality of the scaler on HDMI sources.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                          • Dec 2007

If new units are selling for $900.00 (I paid $1099.00 for mine a few months ago) why not get new if Rotel still has them in stock? The dealer paid more for the demo because the MSRP was $2200.00 when he purchased it.

$1200.00 seems high this late into the new series being released.

Comment

• Opus007
                                            • Nov 2007

Setting everything to 1080p without the bypass installed bypasses the scaling portion of the scaler, but it still goes through some processing by the scaler(colorspace, etc). Confused yet?

With the bypass installed, it shuts down all functionality of the scaler on HDMI sources.

Kevin D.
                                            Yes ...I am confused but all is well as starting to get a handle on it.Thanks for the info.Will be keeping the unit and will be sending it in tomorrow.So back to the Sony for the time being...yekkkkkk

Comment

• Opus007
                                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                              If new units are selling for $900.00 (I paid $1099.00 for mine a few months ago) why not get new if Rotel still has them in stock? The dealer paid more for the demo because the MSRP was $2200.00 when he purchased it.

$1200.00 seems high this late into the new series being released.
                                              The dealer actually has 1400.00 into the unit and is going to take a loss.I have talked him down to 1150.00.The reason I am going to stay with the dealer and this unit is because I am giving him part of the money upfront and doing some phone work for the difference.I also do some home theater installs with them and am considered a employee and also get a employee discount.They have been and are very good to me.At this point I would not feel comfortable asking them to get me a new unit.What I lose here if anything will come back to me ten fold.Plus there is nothing in the store that I can not bring home and audition for as long as it takes me to make up my mind and would not want to loose that ability by purchasing elsewhere.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                • Dec 2007

The dealer actually has 1400.00 into the unit and is going to take a loss.I have talked him down to 1150.00.The reason I am going to stay with the dealer and this unit is because I am giving him part of the money upfront and doing some phone work for the difference.I also do some home theater installs with them and am considered a employee and also get a employee discount.They have been and are very good to me.At this point I would not feel comfortable asking them to get me a new unit.What I lose here if anything will come back to me ten fold.Plus there is nothing in the store that I can not bring home and audition for as long as it takes me to make up my mind and would not want to loose that ability by purchasing elsewhere.
                                                Since your dealer also is a business associate I can see how this works in your favor, for the extra install business he gives you surely makes up for a slight difference in the sale price. Sounds like a decent deal for both.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                  • Nov 2007

Well things could not get much better.The dealer is shipping the 1069 tomorrow and sort of as a joke when I walked in with it today I told him it was a piece of junk and he thought I was serious .He wanted to know if I still was going to keep it and I told him,No.Before I could tell him I was just kidding he said...tell you what, 1000.00 and that's as low as I can go.Made me feel as if I was taking advantage of him and so I told him that I really wanted the unit and just brought it in for him to send out to Rotel for the Bypass Mod.He said well...you can still have it for 1000.00.So made my day. :T

Comment

• TommyV
                                                    • Feb 2007

sweet deal. I think you are gonna love it with your 1075.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                      • Dec 2007

Way to go Opus. Hope your dealer is covering shiping costs to Rotel as well. Either way you saved over the initial $1200.00 :T

Comment

• Opus007
                                                        • Nov 2007

Way to go Opus. Hope your dealer is covering shiping costs to Rotel as well. Either way you saved over the initial $1200.00 :T
                                                        I am paying the shipping.It is the least I can do.And I feel I have come out ahead.Now I need to save for a 1080 amp to give my fronts a little more power.After having the 1069 and going back to the Sony it is just not the same.The 1069 is such a wonderful unit for HT and I know some would argue this but I feel it is just as good as my RC-1070 2 channel pre or better for 2 channel listening.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                          • Nov 2007

Well the 1069 is back from having the bypass board installed and all is good again.I am really loving this preamp. :B

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                            • Dec 2007

I am really loving this preamp. :B
                                                            Same here.

I'm enjoying the ugrade in sound quality and asthetics over what I have used in the past that I just want to save some $ and "Enjoy the Music" for a little while.

Comment

• timjclark
                                                              • Apr 2009

Me too! I just bought a new RSP-1069 about 3 weeks ago. I saw a deal on new stock on agon and my dealer matched it. For my needs for the near-term, it's just perfect. I have not yet played with 2-channel through it since my current 2-channel is just fine as is, but I am curious to hear the difference between my Proceed PDP and the 1069's D/A conversion.
                                                              -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                              -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                              -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                              -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                              -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                              -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                • Feb 2007

I gotta say, it far exceeded my expectations. What software versions did they ship it back with?

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by timjclark
                                                                  Me too! I just bought a new RSP-1069 about 3 weeks ago. I saw a deal on new stock on agon and my dealer matched it. For my needs for the near-term, it's just perfect. I have not yet played with 2-channel through it since my current 2-channel is just fine as is, but I am curious to hear the difference between my Proceed PDP and the 1069's D/A conversion.
                                                                  I think it does a great job for 2 channel.And it has a bypass for stereo which is a plus.I like it so much for 2 channel I sold my RC-1070 stereo preamp. :T

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TommyV
                                                                    I gotta say, it far exceeded my expectations. What software versions did they ship it back with?
                                                                    Hey Tommy ,Not sure what version the software is but will check tomorrow.Today I gave it a real work out.Cd's.tapes,bluray and dvd's.I was a little worried about the RMB-1075 Amp overheating but it did not miss a beat and I watched 2 movies that rocked the house.I love my Pink Floyd and hard rock but at the end of the day I put on some smooth jazz and it was so fluid and smooth it gave me goose bumps.Yes I really like this preamp.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2007

You are probably working your 1075 a little harder than me but mine does not seem to get too hot even when I am cranking it pretty loud. I had my buddy over Sunday and did the transformers Blu-ray demo scenes at insane levels and then some music and such. He was definitely impressed.

To check the software just hold down mute for like 5 secs and it will flash one number then another on the display. The newest is main : 1.2.1 Video: 1.48. I have those files but mine came loaded with the previous 1.1.8 and 1.47. Since I am not using the scaler I am not really too worried about 1.48. hifiguy Eric did say they did something new in the sub menu with 1.2.1. I wonder what exactly that was.

If I need to update mine I will have to get a USB to Serial adapter. I have heard of people having issues using certain brands of adapters so I may want to talk it through with someone who has done it themselves using an adapter before I even attempt it. I just don't know if it is even worth messing with being that everything is working so well.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

What v1.2.1 changed was the sub crossover setting. Before that version if you set the crossover frequency in the subwoofer set up menu, only the subwoofer changed. Now if you change the crossover frequency in the sub menu it changes it for all speakers. You can still change it to something different in the advanced speaker menu so that didn't go away. Rotel thought this would be easier for people that wanted to use the same frequency for all speakers.

As for a USB to serial adapter, I use one from Belkin. I've not had any problems with it connecting to, and staying connected to, any 10 Series Rotel.

Eric

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2007

The newest is main : 1.2.1 Video: 1.48.
                                                                          I received three updates from Rotel.

The third is for the Audio module. TIDSP_Upgrade Manager v1.0.0

Does anyone know what this adds?

Unfortunately I haven't installed it yet because my laptop isn't opening the file, but may desktop can.

Comment

• timjclark
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2009
                                                                            • 104

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                            As for a USB to serial adapter, I use one from Belkin. I've not had any problems with it connecting to, and staying connected to, any 10 Series Rotel.

Eric
                                                                            Thanks to Eric's help, I also bought the Belkin USB/serial adapter and my updates worked perfectly right out of the chute.

Thank you again Eric!
                                                                            -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                                            -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                                            -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                                            -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                                            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                                            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 1532

#39
                                                                              I received three updates from Rotel.

The third is for the Audio module. TIDSP_Upgrade Manager v1.0.0

Does anyone know what this adds?

Unfortunately I haven't installed it yet because my laptop isn't opening the file, but may desktop can.
                                                                              That is the loader but the file is v1.1. There was a steering problem with the DSP modes, like 5 channel stereo, that was corrected. To find out what audio version you have just hook up a display to the composite video output and the RSP-1069 (or RSX-1058 for that matter) will show it on screen when the mute button is held down.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2007
                                                                                • 1532

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by timjclark
                                                                                Thanks to Eric's help, I also bought the Belkin USB/serial adapter and my updates worked perfectly right out of the chute.

Thank you again Eric!
                                                                                No problem. Glad I could help.

Eric

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2007
                                                                                  • 312

#41
                                                                                  That is the loader but the file is v1.1. There was a steering problem with the DSP modes, like 5 channel stereo, that was corrected. To find out what audio version you have just hook up a display to the composite video output and the RSP-1069 (or RSX-1058 for that matter) will show it on screen when the mute button is held down.

Eric
                                                                                  Thanks Eric

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2007
                                                                                    • 454

#42
                                                                                    I have version 1.2.1 and 1.48.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2007
                                                                                      • 425

#43
                                                                                      What v1.2.1 changed was the sub crossover setting. Before that version if you set the crossover frequency in the subwoofer set up menu, only the subwoofer changed. Now if you change the crossover frequency in the sub menu it changes it for all speakers. You can still change it to something different in the advanced speaker menu so that didn't go away. Rotel thought this would be easier for people that wanted to use the same frequency for all speakers.

Eric
                                                                                      I cannot find a Belkin USB to Serial adapter (Why Rotel have you not updated this method?). Here is what I did find. It seems to have good reviews unlike many adapters I see where the drivers do not work etc. Even says it works with Vista which my notebook is.

What do you think?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2007
                                                                                        • 1532

#44
                                                                                        I cannot find a Belkin USB to Serial adapter (Why Rotel have you not updated this method?). Here is what I did find. It seems to have good reviews unlike many adapters I see where the drivers do not work etc. Even says it works with Vista which my notebook is.

What do you think?
                                                                                        I've not used anything like that so I don't know how well it will work. It looks like it should be fine though. Try sending an e-mail to Rotel at service@bwgroupusa.com and see if they have used it or know of people that have.

Here is the Belkin I have by the way. It is expensive (although I don't remember it being this much) so for a once in a while thing it may not be a good investment. I use mine all of the time and got it because it was reccomended by one of my installers. It works fine with a 32bit Vista laptop.

Eric

Edit:
                                                                                        I found it on Belkin's site and it's cheaper there.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2007
                                                                                          • 425

#45
                                                                                          Wow that is expensive. Seems one of these other less expensive ones would work.

On a side note to check the audio version I hooked up a composite cable to the monitor out on the 1069 and held down Mute nothing flashed on the screen (I assume you mean TV screen). I am able to bring up the OSD so I know it is connected right. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"