X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

A little more juice ?

I am planning on upgrading my front channels with a RB1080.Currently fronts,center,and rears are powered by RMB1075.I was thinking on the Emotiva XPA-2 .....but feel I would always be wondering why I did not go with the Rotel RB1080.Plus I want all channels to have the same sonic signature.How well will the RB1080 incorporate with the RMB1075? I know the Emotiva has 50 watts more per channel but 200 watts per channel will power the B&W 683's just fine as I did have a RB1080 and RSX1057 combo before I hit hard times and had to sell them both..but I am on the rebound. And the 1080 never missed a beat.Just wondering how it will match with the RMB 1075.Thanks.
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

i have an xpa 5 running in 3ch for my 600 series fronts with great success..
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• BWzes03
      • Oct 2005

Not at all familiar with Emotiva, but do remember that Specsheet output wattage does not make a good amplifier.
      What makes a good amp is the Power supply and the ability to deliver peaks with still power on reserve (large capacitor banks), as well as its ability to cope with an ever changing impedance load.

The RB-1080 has a over dimensioned transformer, as well as huge capacitor banks, its been measured as having 291Watts of continuous power at 8 Ohm load at 1% THD, 558W into 4 Ohms and even 800W into 2 Ohms. Which is way above the spec sheet...

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

opus007,

I had a Rotel 1095 running P5's and then N804's. I then added the 1080 to run my N804's. The 1080 added deeper bass, better soundstage and a smoother overall presentation. The 1080's ability to control drivers is very good. I was quite happy with my choice.

I would definitely expect the 1080 to run your mains very well. And, as you said, the sonic signature would sync with the 1075.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

Thanks Steve.I think the 1080 is the way to go here.The 1075 does very well, just looking for a little more umph in the front channels.Thanks.

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Opus007
              Thanks Steve.I think the 1080 is the way to go here.The 1075 does very well, just looking for a little more umph in the front channels.Thanks.

You'll get it with the 1080. And your 1075 will not work as hard. There will be more current available to the center and rears. Just a little extra for them as well.

Just think, you have a multichannel amp that weighs 30 lbs. The 1080 weighs 37 pounds just for 2 channels. Extra weight is in the power system.

This is similar to my set up. My two channel is rated only 50 watts higher than my 5 channel, but it weighs more than the 5 channel and has great current delivery. My main speakers are quite happy. You'll be in a similar situation.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"