X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gladiator335
    • Apr 2009

RX-1050 help requested

Hi,
    I have RX-1050 receiver and all of a sudden it developed a weird problem: when I'm trying to change volume manually it hangs around 42 db and goes nowhere. However remote control changes volume just fine.
    I suspect it's a defective pot. Does anyone have schematics or at least know what kind/model pot is used in this model?

I really appreciate any help!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Can you turn the volume up *or* down with the knob? Or does the knob just spin without changing the volume at all?

If it spins freely (no upper/lower limits to rotation), it's a rotary encoder rather than a pot. It could be dirty, or defective. Try shooting some compressed air into the hole after pulling the knob off and see if that helps.

Comment

• gladiator335
      • Apr 2009

Rx-1050

When I turn volume knob display changes from 42 db to may be 43 or 41 and that's it.
      Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly " rotary encoder" is?
      And for some reason I didn't get any notification of replies. Oops!

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Unlike a potentiometer, which has a variable resistance depending on the position of the knob, a rotary encoder sends a signal when the knob is turned, typically one pulse per unit of rotation, and the computer in the receiver translates that into "increase volume" or "decrease volume" depending on the direction the knob is turned.

Your symptoms are characteristic of a faulty (or dirty) rotary encoder. Try the compressed air in the hole and see if that helps. Otherwise, you may need to send the unit into Rotel for service.

Topic reply notification defaults to "off", unless you turn it on in your profile or in specific threads.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"