Hold on to your hats people, the Thigpen Rotary Subwoofer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thylantyr
    • Nov 2004

Is there a tweeter version ? :rofl: :lol: :roll:

Comment

• WooferPilot
      • Oct 2005

The demonstration in the hotel room averaged 110dB at the lower frequencies with around 100w from the amplifier. In the test environment at the lab, the TRW easily achieves SPLs over 120dB. The low pass filter enclosure is needed for home theater but in an actual theater the infinite baffle will suffice by itself. By the way, the blades are neutral when the VC is centered and pitch positive and negative when the VC oscillates. Ciao'!
      Last edited by WooferPilot; 05 October 2005, 21:15 Wednesday. Reason: typographic error

Comment

• WooferPilot
        • Oct 2005

The manifold in the attic installation is about half the size of the one seen in the hotel room and it quiets the high freqs from the blades and motor quite well. Also, the technology does not lend itself to the development of a tweeter as it rolls off very quickly with increasing frequency.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the added information ...... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• seattle_ice
            • Jun 2006

Interesting, to say the least.

In theory, you could have as large an apparent 'cone' as you wished, simply by increasing the velocity of the fan. Of course, aerodynamics and acoustic byproducts are the limiting factors.
            If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
            How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• Scott Simonian
              • Nov 2004

Has there been anything new about this?
              My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm not supposed to do this (post links to other forums) but here's a link to a mile long thread where one was installed and auditioned

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

That's funny, I was just about to search for this thread for an odd non-audio application we have at work.

No I just need to find the one with the Adire thing that was like a jackhammer with a 24"x24" sheet of material bolted to it.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The Adire Parthenon is vaporware as far as I know..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• noah katz
                      • Dec 2005

"The Adire Parthenon is vaporware as far as I know.."

IIRC it wasn't ever intended to be a production item; if you wanted one you gave Dan Wiggins many $k and he'd make one for you.
                      ------------------------------
                      Noah

Comment

• poneal

Maybe I can shed a little light on the situation

Originally posted by cdwitmer
                        Ditto here, concerning the inability to imagine how it works. A cone transducer is actually also a mechanical crossover, and different sections of the moving system will be producing different frequencies simultaneously, but I can't imagine how this would do something like that. At the same time, we do perceive sound differently at really low frequencies and if it is only reproducing really low frequencies then it may still be performing some real "magic" even if it has to "average" frequencies in its range (which it what it seems to me that it must be doing). Fascinating.
                        I was in the Navy for many years and of course we all know that ships have propellers (fans) big one! When you move the blades one way speed increase and decreased when done the other way and even can reverse :-). Now take a submarine with sonar. The sonar can pick up these frequencies, knuckles (a sharp turn in the water), and even identify what ship it is by its screws. Each screw has a unique signature. If a ship's propellers hit a something hard and dents a screw then that will change the sonic signature. Anyway, very interesting stuff. And for all you people who don't think the government doesn't know what you're doing think again my friend. And it will get worse if we let it! My input for the day.

Paul

Comment

• noah katz
                          • Dec 2005

"A cone transducer is actually also a mechanical crossover, and different sections of the moving system will be producing different frequencies simultaneously"

In its piston (rigid body) range, a cone can produce many freq simulataneously.

Sounds impossible but think of it this way:

Imagine holding in your hand a driver producing a single freq. Now move your hand back and forth at a different frequency; now the driver is producing two freq.

No imagine that someone grabs you and shakes you at a third freq...you get the idea.

An amplifier fed the same signal as the combined freq can make the speaker do the same thing w/o all the drama
                          ------------------------------
                          Noah

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by noah katz
                            "The Adire Parthenon is vaporware as far as I know.."

IIRC it wasn't ever intended to be a production item; if you wanted one you gave Dan Wiggins many $k and he'd make one for you.
                            Which isn't out of the question where I work. Found some pics online. We're actually looking a various ways to create a very sharp attack pulse of air, and punching sub drivers with a single wave is one method.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                              We're actually looking a various ways to create a very sharp attack pulse of air, and punching sub drivers with a single wave is one method.
                              BB
                              A stick of dynamite will do that on the cheap..... :roflmao:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Yeah, but we always get a bunch of flak from the guests when we do that stuff. And the Air Quality officials. And the safety committee.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Some people simply have no sense of humor...:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• RobP
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Which isn't out of the question where I work. Found some pics online. We're actually looking a various ways to create a very sharp attack pulse of air, and punching sub drivers with a single wave is one method.

BB
                                    Brandon, if you done mind me asking do you work in a theatre?
                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Brandon B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2001

Special Effects for rides for the well known mouse at the left.

<------

BB

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by thylantyr
                                        Is there a tweeter version ? :rofl: :lol: :roll:
                                        Ya, and then we wouldn't need to have fans to keep us cool as they would already be incorporated into the speaker. :T

Comment

• RobP
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Special Effects for rides for the well known mouse at the left.

<------

BB

Oh, now that sounds like a alot of fun.
                                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"