Help: is RCA to XLR cable OK for DVP to C2 hookup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffk
    • Jan 2008

Help: is RCA to XLR cable OK for DVP to C2 hookup?

I want to use a high quality CDP/DVP in my HT setup. I am seriously considering buying a Parasound C1/C2, but it only allows 2 channel analogue bypass/passthrough via XLR balanced inputs from CDP/DVP. I may only have unbalanced RCA out from my CDP/DVP. Will I significantly degrade SQ (or defeat purpose) by using an RCA-to-XLR cable to overcome this obstacle? Thanks much. Jeff
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Balanced connections help avoid noise pickup for very long cable runs. If your runs are short, the lack of balanced connections is not an issue in that regard. Balanced design does not always translate into superior performance. Some equipment that have XLR connections can be single-ended internally and only use electronic balancing converters at the inputs and outputs, adding extra circuitry into the signal path. Some equipment that is of truly balanced design has been found to sound better when run in balanced mode. In many cases you may not be able to tell the difference. The only way to know is to try.

Comment

• Vince Helm
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jeffk
      Will I significantly degrade SQ (or defeat purpose) by using an RCA-to-XLR cable to overcome this obstacle? Thanks much. Jeff
      Hi,
      With good cables I do not think that the SQ will degrade to any appreciable degree. I have used the RCA to XLR converter plugs from Cardas Audio with great luck... I think that BAT Audio also makes a fine set as well. I also had Kimber Kable custom make a cable with single XLR on one end and two RCA's on the other end... worked great! Use good quality parts/cables and the SQ will be fine! IMHO.

Kind regards
      Vince

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

I was going to suggest the Cardas adapter plugs but figured that would be stepping on the toes of this site's sponsor, Cat Cables, especially as business seems to be hurting right now. Although the Cardas product is not a cable, I thought it would be taking business away from Cat. I'm sure that Lex can make up a nice custom set of adapter cables.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I'll let this stand. This is regarded as custom work, and some days, I take custom work, some days, I'd as soon make production products. Using an adapter seems like a viable solution, and Cardas usually makes good product. That said, to step up the signal transmission, a cable like the Kingcats can be build in RCA/XLR mix, and that's a whole nuther ballgame than an adapter on a lesser cable-
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"