X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • annakova
    • Feb 2009

Wait for new stereo preamp?

Hi,

I'm upgrading my 15-year-old Rotel equipment and have decided to go with separates instead of my old receiver. I mostly listen to 2-channel stereo at moderate volume (classical music) and don't have a home theater. I was going to get the RC-1082 pre-amp and the RB-1070 amp, but then i saw that the new 15 series is coming out. Does anyone have any information on the upcoming RC-1580 pre-amp (when and what) and whether it might be worth waiting for? Also, aside from the heat and size, are these new class D amplifiers mostly a matter of taste? It seems that way from the discussions I have read, or are there significant musical differences?

Thanks,
    Anna
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Welcome to the forum, Anna.

Since the RC-1580 hasn't shipped yet it's hard to say for sure. From what my rep has said the RC-1580 is all new and better than the RC-1082. It's also more expensive at $1,299.99US. You may be able to find a good deal on an RC-1082 since it's going away.

As for the amp, it's just a matter of taste between the class A/B and class D designs. It will just come down to system matching and personal taste. The 15 Series class A/B amps are more expensive than the class D amps so depending on budget that may play a part in your decision. The RB-1572, class D 250 x 2, is $1,299.99US; the RB-1582, class A/B 250 x 2, is $1,499.99; the RB-1562, class D 100 x 2, is $799.99US; and the RB-1552, class A/B 120 x 2, is $899.99US. As with the preamps the 15 Series amps are all new as well. Rotel didn't just repackage the 10 Series and raise the price. My rep believes the new ones do edge the previous models in sound quality.

Let us know what you decide.

Eric

Comment

• annakova
      • Feb 2009

Happy Surrender

Well, since you asked, I finally gave up waiting on the new 15 Series 2-channel stuff and bought the RC-1082 and RB-1070. Maybe its the last of a fading generation, but it sure sounds good to me and it has all the inputs I need. And who knows whether the new stuff will actually sound any better, anyway? This should at least carry me over for a couple of years until Rotel releases some kind of digital streaming-enabled preamp with wi-fi receiver, which is what I really want...

Anna

Comment

• jalyra
        • Jan 2009

Congrats on your new system, I'm pretty sure the sound is amazing. I've been in the same dilemma as you. But I've decided to wait, mainly because I need that home theater bypass feature and the promise (or speculation?) about being a better unit than the 10-series. But so far, there is no official news from Rotel. Enjoy your system and tell us how it sounds.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

The 10 series is a very nice series of equipment. Personally, I like the looks of the 10 series vs the 15 series. You will enjoy your 1082 & 1070.

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

i started out with the rsx-1058 (with B&W 683) and it was good. the got a RB-1080 and used the 1058 as pre. and it got better, but when i got the 1082 holy crap the difference was jaw dropping. im not an audiophile at all. but even the most skeptical person would definitely here the difference. as for the 15 series i dunno. Rotel dissc't the 10 series so its cheap. so if money if your concern i would ask if the price diff for the new 15 series worth the sound diff?
            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR
            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"