RMB-1085 (Class D) VS RMB-1075 (Class A/B)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpirovol
    • Dec 2007

RMB-1085 (Class D) VS RMB-1075 (Class A/B)

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has heard the two side by side? Also which one would you buy if you had to Choose.

Thanks Terry
    RMB-1085
    52.17%
    RMB-1075
    47.83%
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

My choice is previously documented here (vs. the 1075):

RMB-1085 Review

and, of course, pics here:

RMB-1085 vs. RMB-1075 Pics

Definitely the RMB-1085 for me! Not only for sound quality, but also for space savings and lack of heat.
    Brad

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The RMB-1085 is faster, more detailed, and has better pitch definition in the bass. The RMB-1075 is a little warmer so some people might like it depending on their speakers and room. I like the RMB-1085 better myself.

Eric

Comment

• tpirovol
        • Dec 2007

So if you where to spend $900 to choose between each one it would be the 1075? Is 900CDN a good deal for the 1085? How much are they selling where you are?

Thanks Terry

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Class D all the way, I'm sold.
          They're small, light, run very cool, and sound fantastic.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• jalyra
            • Jan 2009

It seems to me that to choose the better amp we need to trust Rotel's own naming of the amps. In this case 1085 is better than 1075, even though the 1085 is rated at 100 W/Ch vs 120 W/Ch for the 1075.

At first I thought this was because the 1085 was a class D amp but that changed when the new (yet to be "officially" announced) stereo amps were out. Now we have the RB-1572 and the RB-1582, both rated at 250 W/Ch, but the 1572 is class D and the 1582 class A/B, in this case, Rotel is indicating their class A/B to be better (It'll be a little bit more expensive). So what I understand from this is that what makes a better amp, is not the power they handle, and not the class of the amp (A/B vs D) but the rest of the electronics, the overall design and integration.

And of course, if they offer a different sound signature, we as customers have more choice.

Comment

• bnieman
              • Jun 2006

I definitely upgraded going from the RMB-1075 to the RMB-1085. Sound is much more detailed and alive. It sounds a lot like a RMB-1095.

Don't let the power rating misguide you, the 1085 has lower harmonic distortion (a cleaner sound) so putting out less watts it sounds just as loud as the 1075.

Aside from all the audible superiority it takes up less space and runs cool to the touch!

The 1075 is a nice amp, but the 1085 is definitely a noticeable notch above

Cheers!
              Bryan
              Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

I must be tone deaf, because I have heard no discernible difference between the 1075 and 1085. Absolutely none. I have had extensive time with both, and currently use the 1075. YMMV.

The 1085 is obviously ideal is you want something unobtrusive that takes up less real estate. However, in terms of performance, for my ears, the 1075 is in no way inferior.

On the used market, the 1075 is usually cheaper. If you have no space issues, that would be my choice.
                A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

I don't think either amp is inferior / superior to the other. They do sound different so it's just a matter of which one you like in your system. The differences are not huge, but they are there so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Eric

Comment

• sirbogey
                    • Mar 2006

To me there was no difference whatsoever when paired with my Piegas. 1075 doesnt run hot either with 10hrs on the go. I'm sticking with old school.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"