X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpirovol
    • Dec 2007

RSX-1550 Issues Thread!

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased the RSX-1550 and thought I would write about my experience so far. So far I am mixed about this unit becuase of the below reasons. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues and or more?

1) Remote sucks
    2) Remote sensor sucks you need to be super close and even then it may not work
    3) Getting into the OSD sometime can be challenging
    4) Picture quality is not as good as plugging HDMI directly to tv (I thought it was suppose to be pass through?)

Appreciate any other responses on this. Other then these the Audio is much better then the 1056/1057/1058. It sounds more alive and the new audio codecs are just increadable the main question is this. Is it worth lossing I would say 10% - 20% picture quality to gain 50% better sound?

Thanks Terry

Thanks Terry
  • Pitou5
    • Mar 2006

tpirovol,

I also have some of those issues you mentioned. I already posted this in another thread. Here are the issues I've found so far.

1- There is a video upscaling bug from 1080i component to 1080p HDMI. (Interference-like horizontal lines all across the screen)

2- When using HDMI audio along with my HD-DVD player, when I downmix to 2 channels (because I often watch movies using headphones, girlfriend sleeping!) and fast forward the movie then play again, I lose the "center channel", in fact I can't hear the dialog anymore. I have yet to test the player on another receiver.

3- The remote literally sucks in very dark room, like mine. It can take around 15 seconds to wake up when I press a button. Even the light button behaves the same. (Batteries are new). I still have my RR-969 from my old RSX-1055 and this one works like a charm with the RSX-1550. So for now I use my old remote. I'm thinking asking my dealer to order a RR-1050 maybe, instead...

4- Angle and distance for infrared on the RSX-1550 is not as good as my previous RSX-1055. The receiving IR is located in a little circle on the left side and it's not as efficient as it was before. I really have to point the receiver perfectly. A little bit annoying. I'm thinking of sticking a glass/plastic transparent small ball. Maybe it'll capture better the infrared, I don't know, or simply adding an external infrared sensor. Of course I would have to open the receiver and solder the thing.

5- The display reflects the characters on the edge of the plastic, depending on where you sit. It can be distracting.

Apart from that, the sound quality is awesome! I think it's even better than my previous RSX-1055. Maybe because of the new DACS, since the amplification stage seems to be about the same.

Feel free to comment!

Pitou!

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

For the IR, you might try picking up some IR-Prism's from Audio-Plex.

They come in their IR kits, but it looks like you can buy a 10 pack separately:

Kevin D.

Comment

• tpirovol
        • Dec 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the IR reply I am going to order them today. Just wondering if anyone else noticed the picture quality loss? Also does anyone know if there a true passthrough HMDI splitter so I can send the video stright to the TV?

Thanks Terry

Comment

• tpirovol
          • Dec 2007

Sorry Pitou5 what is snip?

Just another issue to add to the list. With the SA8300 PVR when you expand the screen or select watched video's the audio goes away. It also takes a little longer then via optical between channels and commericals to go between DD and PLII

Thanks Terry

Comment

• Pitou5
            • Mar 2006

I would like to add that a config in the menu to dim the blue LED around the power switch would be great.

Pitou!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"