Current setup is as follows:

B&W 803Ds
    RB-1091 x 2
    Classe CP-500
    Sonos Zp80
    Rel B2

RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Monster Signature AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer

Everything but amps are plugged into RLC-1040. RLC-1040 and amps plugged into AVS 2000.

I rarely turn the Rel sub on. (only for certain types of music) I know the amps are class d, but even at obnoxious volumes, playing heavy bass, the system barley peaks at 4 amps of power. That seems awfully low. The only time I can get it to draw around 8 amp is when I run a step tone through the system. Any ideas? Are those amps just that efficient? I don't think the amp meter is busted, because when I turn the sub on, it peaks out at 6-9 amps.

Bear in mind, this setup get insanely loud. I just can't figure it out.
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

It's not low at all, it's realistic. Don't assume that just because your amp is rated to draw xxx watts on the back panel that it's going to draw anywhere near that.

There was another thread a while back where people had actually measured power drawn by their systems and most of the measurements were way under expectations and generally put the whole argument for needing 20A circuits or a separate circuit for amps to bed.

Chris P.

Comment

• iiaudio
      • Feb 2008

Audio is dynamic and so are the current needs of amplifiers. Only if you're pushing to the extreme limits of the amp will it ever call for its rated current (as long as its working properly). I run 72, 7000 watt class D amps with a loud heavy metal act I tour with and I've never seen them pull more than 90 amps total.

Comment

• chrispy35
        • Feb 2004

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"