X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allegiance
    • Sep 2006

RB-1070 or RB-1080

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what your opinions are about the differences between these two amps? I have a change to get either one on bargain since they are the old models, however the RB-1080 is $570AUD more expensive so I am wondering if it is worth it.

At the moment it will be powering B&W 601 S2's but maybe B&W CM9's in the future.

Thanks!
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

IMHO, it is all about ‘headroom’. Always better to have more ‘amp’ than you need. More power will generally produce better bass response, too. The extra power allows the amp to grab woofers by the throat and keep them in control during quick transients and dynamic crescendos. Plus with a larger amp, you are always ready for a speaker upgrade. If it is a good price get the 1080.

HTG rule #1: There is no such thing as 'Too Much Power’.

HTG rule#2: See HTG rule #1.

As always, JMHO, YMMV
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I agree with Bill. If you can fit it into the budget, get the RB-1080. You won't regret it.

Eric

Comment

• iiaudio
        • Feb 2008

These guys are spot on...
        With the 1070 and your 601s, you'll have 30 watts (1.1 dB) of headroom before clip.
        With the 1080 and your 601s, you'll have 100 watts (3 dB) of headroom before clip.
        Also, the damping factor of the 1080 is twice that of the 1070. Damping factor has a lot to do with the "grab the woofers by the throat and keep them in control during quick transients and dynamic crescendos" effect.

Joe

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

RB-1080 > RB-1070.

The harder you drive an amplifier the more nasty stuff is going to come out of it. I think that "nasty" term is scientific as well. (just kidding)
          -Joe

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

I've owned the RB-1070, RB-1080 and RMB-1075 at the same time connected to a RSP-1066, the RB-1080 was used to drive a pair of Whatmough floor standing P32, 2 way speakers and the RMB-1075 for the surrounds and RB-1070 for an outdoor zone 2 area. In short the RB-1080 was better (tighter better base)even with my efficient speakers.

The RB-1080 runs very hot so make sure you have a lot of ventilation. However I would not recommend buying the RB-1080 as it is not very reliable, I had my one fail 3 times in 18 months and even swapped over for a new one which had the left channel mod done, ie do some research on this forum and you wil notice pages and pages on this issue with the RB-1080.

I ended up selling the RB-1080 still under warranty and had a call from the new owner about 6 months later saying it had failed again even after having the mod done with a replacement new unit by Rotel.

I was able to do a reasonable comparison between the RB-1070 and RB-1080 as every time the RB-1080 failed I used the RB-1070 to drive my mains I never had any issues in terms of reliability with the RB-1070 :T

I ended up selling off all my Rotel Amps and purchased the Australian made Elektra 2ch (2 x 250W) Reference amd and 7ch (7 x 185W) Elektra amp for surround duty and zone 2. Both of which are substantially better in terms of sound quality and reliability than the RB-1080 with my speakers.

I have however upgraded from the RSP-1066 to the RSP-1068 and most recently the RSP-1069 and am very happy with the Rotel AV pre/pros. I also own a Rotel RT-1080 tuner and RDV-1060 DVD player which all work perfectly, the RB-1080 from my experience was a bit of a lemon and not fit for purpose !!!

If you can stretch your budget further pick up a new RB-1092, they are substantially discounted now that the new 15 series is just about available. Also look at the RB-1072 or possibly a used RB-1090.

JDH.

Originally posted by Allegiance
            Hi Guys,

I was wondering what your opinions are about the differences between these two amps? I have a change to get either one on bargain since they are the old models, however the RB-1080 is $570AUD more expensive so I am wondering if it is worth it.

At the moment it will be powering B&W 601 S2's but maybe B&W CM9's in the future.

Thanks!
            Last edited by JDH; 21 November 2008, 11:53 Friday.
            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Then again, I've had my RB-1080 for almost 3 years now and NEVER had one problem with it.

It's like anything you buy, one person has a great experience, the next doesn't. That's the problem with mass manufacturing things (not to say it can't happen with smaller operations either).

I just picked up a RB-1090 and (having heard it before) this thing is an absolute beast at the price it's going for on agon. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone to jump on that amp! :T
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Allegiance , RB-1080.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Allegiance
                  • Sep 2006

Thanks for your suggestions guys! :T I will have to go see what deal I can get :B

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I've had my RB-1080 for 3 years, used it a lot, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Nigel.

Comment

• imbeaujp
                      • Nov 2007

Hello, I never had any problem with my 1080 (I have 2).

Great amp !

Maybe I will upgrate to 1090 if I have a chance to get one cheap.

JP
                      Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
                      PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
                      YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
                      PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"