X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex999
    • Jun 2006

Please help; Rotel and b&w, not sure what to do

Hey guys,
    I just purchased a pair of B&W 805S speakers (they should be delivered in few days). I have a Rotel RMB-1095 amp, Rotel RSP-1066 preamp and RDV-1040 DVD/CD player. When I got my original components I was planning to go 5.1 set up but things changed and I use my system for 2ch stereo music 95% of the time plus I watch some TV.

Would I notice any significant difference if I sell my stuff and get a Rotel RB-1080 (or RB-1090) amp with a RC-1090 preamp? I'd like to repalce my RSP-1066 processor with a true stereo preamp but only if it is going to give me better sound (I'm not sure about this tho) and maybe keep my RMB-1095. I'm also planning to get RCD-1072 CD player. Please let me know what you think.

I'm also open to suggestion regarding replacing my 1066 preamp with a different brand name or a different Rotel stereo amp that will work better with my new speakers. Thanks guys.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I would definitely suggest changing up the 1066, the 1080 over the 1095... there's some difference, but it's not a HUGE difference. I might suggest looking at the Cambridge Audio 840c over the 1072, it's more...but if you aren't replacing your amp, it's a HUGE increase in sound over the 1072.

If you can snag a 1090, I'd do it. That amp is a beast!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Alex999
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
      I would definitely suggest changing up the 1066, the 1080 over the 1095... there's some difference, but it's not a HUGE difference. I might suggest looking at the Cambridge Audio 840c over the 1072, it's more...but if you aren't replacing your amp, it's a HUGE increase in sound over the 1072.

If you can snag a 1090, I'd do it. That amp is a beast!
      Thanks Pewter. I forgot to mention, but I was thinking of getting a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player instead of 1072. It costs more ($1200-$1300 used) but it's supposed to be an amazing CD player. So confusing. I mean I can sell my RBM-1095 for probably more money than RB-1090 or get RB-1080 ($500 used on AGon) and invest extra money towards a good pre amp. However, I'm thinking a good CD player will make the biggest difference.

As I said, please feel free to make any suggestions. I'm thinking to get a good CD player first (the most important improvement), #2. preamp, #3 amp.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I heard the Musical Fidelity A5. I think it and the Cambridge are compareable (couldn't listen to both on the same setup). One thing I liked with the Cambridge is the fact that I have both my PC and PS3 routed through it to use the DACs from it. It has made a huge difference in my listening of music off both those sources.

Might be something to consider if you want a good "dac" for other things than CDs. :T
        -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Same thing happened to me! I got a used 1066 for HT, and it ended up getting me back into my music. Like you, I am about 90% 2 ch music now.

I still use the 1066 for TV and HT, and for that, I have no complaints. But it’s not great at resolving musical details in 2 ch. I first added a dedicated 2 ch pre, and that was a V worthwhile improvement. I then upgraded my CDp, and again, a noticeable improvement was made. I now have a CA 640C v2, (PewterTA’s old unit) and it is a wonderful sounding player.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alex999
            • Jun 2006

Thanks Pewter and Wkhanna. I think I'll go ahead and get a Rotel 1072 as it's in within my price range. I don't think I can afford anything more at the moment. I think that a good CD player is more critical at this point than my preamp. I need to save some more money before I replace my RSP-1066.

I'll probably test everything when I get my new speakers. My next step will be to replace my preamp. I'll probably sell my 1066.

Whkana, how do you use 2 preamps with your amp? Sorry if it's a stupid question. I just had a long day at work, so tired .

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

For TV/HT his 1066 routes the L & R channels through his Carver Pre out to his speakers.

I would highly recommend saving the money up for either the Music Fidelity or Cambridge Audio CDPs... It's more worthwhile to put the money into one of those CDPs over doing anything with your Pre.

Only reason I would say to get the 1072 is if you plan on selling it later to recoup a little bit of money...but if it was me, I'd just save up for the better CDPs. Course that's just me with having finally made it to the "top" level. I wish I had just bit the bullet originally and gotten the CA 840c. Would've saved me money in the long run.
              -Dan

Comment

• Alex999
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                For TV/HT his 1066 routes the L & R channels through his Carver Pre out to his speakers.

I would highly recommend saving the money up for either the Music Fidelity or Cambridge Audio CDPs... It's more worthwhile to put the money into one of those CDPs over doing anything with your Pre.

Only reason I would say to get the 1072 is if you plan on selling it later to recoup a little bit of money...but if it was me, I'd just save up for the better CDPs. Course that's just me with having finally made it to the "top" level. I wish I had just bit the bullet originally and gotten the CA 840c. Would've saved me money in the long run.
                there is a new CA 840C on Audiogon $1150. Tempting . How would you describe the difference between Rotel 1072 and Cambridge Audio CA 840C? I'm not sure if I can audition it in Calgary.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

First let me say that the 1072 is a great CDP. If you never hear something better than it, you'll be completely happy with it and it CAN be an ending point for a good source. On the flip side though, I think for a little bit more money you can get a lot more if willing to spend the money.

Uhmm... Basically it's a pretty big difference. The 840c actually has BASS to the CD, due to the dual Anagram DACs in a differential setup. This is basically the biggest (night & day) difference. I'd say the CA also does a much better job of imagine with rock solid location on all instruments. I also think it definitely reveals a whole new level of detail that the 1072 does not. The 1072 (in my opinion) was very very close to the CA 640c V2 so it's more on a level with that (but at a higher price). So for not a whole lot more, you can get (again in my opinion) the best CDP under about $4 or $5K.

The nice thing is that wkhanna has formed all his own opinions after hearing the units for himself... so we are both hearing the same things in our systems.

The CA 840c is definitely the last CDP I'll buy (unless I gain millions and billions of $$$) lol. Which I don't see that ever happening.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Alex999
                    • Jun 2006

Thanks Pewter. I'm enjoying my new speakers right now. They are wonderful even with my older preamp, old monster cables etc. I can afford to purchase a Rotel RCD-1072 now but it seems to me that CA 840C is a superior player. I need to go to Edmonton to audition it (I know I can order it on-line and return it but I'm not sure I want to go that route ops: ).

I'm going to let my new babies break in and think about my next move. I definitely want to replace my RDV-1040 next plus get some better cables and interconnects.

Another thought is to get a good DAC. OK, I should stop now. I need to learn more about DAC stuff as I'm not very familiar with it. Some people suggested that a new good DAC will make a bigger difference than another CD player. On the other hand, 840C has an internal DAC built in ...

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Built in and will accept 2 external sources that it will put through it's 2 anagram DACs... :T

Definitely, if you can, go audition it and see what it's like. Though I think once you hear it, you'll want it (especially if they have it set up properly)!
                      -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Dan got his 840 from the Audio Shed, an advertiser and big supporter of the forum here (look in the right hand corner at the very bottom of the page). Might want to give them a PM for some more info.

I've listened to Dan's 840. Nothing comes close at even three times the cost compared to anything i've ever heard. AIMHO, as always
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"