X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renpar61
    • Jul 2007

Software update... no Vista?

The Rotel website recommends NOT to use a computer running Windows Vista to do the software upgrades. While I am not surprised since all you hear about Vista are complains...( I am a huge Mac person, love the new Mac commercials :P ) the only PC (the Mrs. :roll: ) I have at home runs Vista. How do I do the upgrade? Do I dare doing it with Vista? Has anyone tried?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Is it a laptop? Does it have a real RS232 port on it? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. If not, I wouldn't risk it. Your dealer should be able to help you out.

What product and what firmware are you coming from? Might not be worth the trouble.

Kevin D.

Comment

• renpar61
      • Jul 2007

It's a new Acer laptop bought only a couple of months ago. Not sure about the RS232 port, I thought it would use the Ethernet port. Firmware on my RSX-1057 should be 2.1.0, I bought it in July 07 and never updated.
      I know that most prior updates fixed zone 2 issues, which I don't use...

Comment

• phuz
        • Jan 2003

I'm pretty sure it's a serial port you need. Many newer laptops don't have them.

If you don't have one, usb to serial adapters are flaky. Especially in vista.

For the most part though, a terminal is a terminal in the context of serial to rs232 communications. I don't see why vista would have a problem more than XP or Windows 2000.
        ==============
        -phuz

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Correct, the plug on the back is an RJ45 like a network jack, but you will need a 9 pin RS232 jack on the computer (and the cable that should have came with your unit).

You can buy a USB to RS232 adapter for around $20-30, but as Phuz said, they are hit or miss. Even more so in Vista.

Looking at the software changes, unless you are unhappy with the volume ramp speed it's probably not worth the trouble since you don't use Zone 2.

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

FWIW,
            once Belkin came up with a Vista compatible driver for my usb-232 adaptor chatting with my Rotel gear has been flawless.
            Prior to the correct driver release all bets were off.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"