X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Bridging an RB-1070

Was wondering how much work it would be to bridge my 1070 power amp.I am currently using it to run my center bi-amped. I thought i'd try to just use one set of wires and have a little more power. I know that the distortion will go up. But I wanted to hear for myself.
    Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not much work at all. Hook the wire to both positive leads on the amp, left positive being speaker positive; right positive being speaker negative. Hook the RCA cable to the left input only. You will need to open the case and move the three jumpers over to enable bridged operation.

You should notice a pretty big difference. You're essentially going from 130w to 360w. When you bi-amp a speaker, you are still only sending the power of one amp to the speaker. So you aren't sending 260w to the speaker, you are sending 130 to the woofer and 130 to tweeter. Not much different then sending 130w to both (just more reserve power). Bridged you will be sending 360w to both, a pretty decent improvement!

Try it out and let us know. With the distortion increase, it might sound better with one channel of a 200w amp unbridged, but I doubt you will hear the distortion.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

Got the top off. I just need to know where the "jumpers" are.

Never mind. Found the jumpers, don't know what to do with them. Doesn't matter though. My center channel is 6 ohms.
      Whats odd though, I found where the jumpers are supposed to go, but there is no wire harness that will hook to them.
      Last edited by DelRay; 06 April 2008, 12:56 Sunday.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Guess you don't have the manual?

You move the jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3. No wires to connect.

Yeah, a 6ohm speaker might be a little tough bridged. I might would still try it.. The amp will shut down before you break anything.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

I have the manual, but I didn't get the jist of it. ops: After understanding how the jumpers work, no brainer. I'll give bridging a shot. Thanks Kevin.

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

Ok, initial impressions are wow. First of all, I had to recalibrate the center channel. It was way to high. I listened to some high rez music at a little louder than normal levels. Center channel sound was superb. The 1070 didn't go into overload. I'll know more once I play my first movie. I originally had the center bi-amped 130/130. I was using both center pre outs on the 1068. The bridged configuration so far, seems to be better. Plenty of power.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

the center channel should be no problem to bridge even with a 6ohm load ... it doesnt require much power in the first place (even though 99% of dialogue comes from the center)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"