X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guy
    • Jan 2006

Any advantage in upgrading jumpers on 800 series

I am wondering if there is any sonic advantage in upgrading the jumpers between the LF and HF speaker posts on the 802D as I am in the process of upgrading speaker cable and have an opportunity to purchase jumpers with the new cable for an extra $150.00 however I don't want to waste my money if others here have experienced no advantge in this upgrade.

Cheers, Guy.
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Guy
    I am wondering if there is any sonic advantage in upgrading the jumpers between the LF and HF speaker posts on the 802D

Since the question does not mention cable brands or comparisons, I hope it would be OK to answer this without stepping on any toes.

I don't have any experience in replacing jumpers but if I were to upgrade speaker cable I would upgrade the jumpers as well. My logic in this would be that if I'm upgrading the signal from AMP to LF then I want to give the identical signal from LF to HF as well.

Comment

• Guy
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ken49r
      Since the question does not mention cable brands or comparisons, I hope it would be OK to answer this without stepping on any toes.

I don't have any experience in replacing jumpers but if I were to upgrade speaker cable I would upgrade the jumpers as well. My logic in this would be that if I'm upgrading the signal from AMP to LF then I want to give the identical signal from LF to HF as well.
      Fair enough.

The speaker wire quality used inside the 800 series from speaker posts to crossover and from crossover to drivers seems to be of similar quality to the jumpers that are provided with the speaker so I was thinking that upgrading the jumpers to better quality would be a waste of time as the signal still ends up going through the internal wiring and the jumper wire run from post to post is so short that any advantage of upgrading the jumpers would not be realised.

I am upgarding speaker cable pimarily because I have damaged the insulation on one of the cables and not because I believe there will be a sonic difference however it will be interesting to find out if more expensive speaker cables actually produce a better or different sound.

Cheers, Guy.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Guy
        Fair enough. The speaker wire quality used inside the 800 series from speaker posts to crossover and from crossover to drivers seems to be of similar quality to the jumpers that are provided with the speaker so I was thinking that upgrading the jumpers to better quality would be a waste of time as the signal still ends up going through the internal wiring and the jumper wire run from post to post is so short that any advantage of upgrading the jumpers would not be realized. Cheers, Guy.
        Don't waist the money :P
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Guy
          Fair enough.

The speaker wire quality used inside the 800 series from speaker posts to crossover and from crossover to drivers seems to be of similar quality to the jumpers that are provided with the speaker so I was thinking that upgrading the jumpers to better quality would be a waste of time as the signal still ends up going through the internal wiring and the jumper wire run from post to post is so short that any advantage of upgrading the jumpers would not be realised.

Cheers, Guy.
          Guy

We are not allowed to discuss cable brands, but your logic does seem sound. I have quite expensive cables going to my speaker, but have not changed the jumpers.

Like you say, sooner or later your signal has to pass thru the makers grade of wiring to its final internal destination. The long distance run from Amp to speaker is important and I have heard differences as during a run of important length (more than 1m) there "can" be degradation.

However, the 3 or 4 inch jumper is so short, would it be necessary to change and would we hear a difference ? I would like to hear from others who have tried to see.

Maybe Lex can shed some light on whether or not this is a place to gain or lose .....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"