X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quantronics
    • Apr 2004

1098 Volume Knob not working after upgrade

I've been a long time Rotel user w/ a 1098 processor and 1095 amp. I upgrade my 2.x firmware to the latest firmware. I also upgrade the EPROM using the directions on Rotel's website. I used all 4 EPROM upgrade 1, 2, 3 and 4 in that order. I then upgraded to the latest 4.x software. Everything went really well w/ no errors. In the menu I reset everything to factory default.

Ok...so here's the problem. Everything seems to work except the physical volume knob won't work anymore. When I turn it, the volume indicator comes up but nothing changes up or down. The remote volume button works great. Also with this upgrade, it seems the screen is a bit dim. I've tried to change the LCD brightness up but it still seems a little faint.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

You shouldn't have had to load all 4 versions of the eprom.
    Not that would have caused your'e problem, but I would reload both again, the current eprom code as well as current firmware.

Comment

• Quantronics
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
      You shouldn't have had to load all 4 versions of the eprom.
      Not that would have caused your'e problem, but I would reload both again, the current eprom code as well as current firmware.
      That would 4x EPROM and the 4.x firmware I take it?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

You can't install 4.xx firmware on a 1.xx or 2.xx machine. Only units starting with a 4.xx firmware can take it. The difference between 2.xx, 3.xx, and 4.xx units is design differences, not new functions.

You would have only needed to load EEPROM 1-4 if you went from a 1.xx unit to a 2.xx unit. If you started with 2.xx, you only needed to load EEPROM 4.

The EEPROM upgrades shouldn't have harmed it, but you need to reload the latest 2.xx firmware. Hopefully loading 4.xx firmware didn't damage it.

Where did you get the upgrade files? There's warnings about using 3.xx and 4.xx files on 2.xx units here and on the Rotel website.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Quantronics
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          You can't install 4.xx firmware on a 1.xx or 2.xx machine. Only units starting with a 4.xx firmware can take it. The difference between 2.xx, 3.xx, and 4.xx units is design differences, not new functions.

You would have only needed to load EEPROM 1-4 if you went from a 1.xx unit to a 2.xx unit. If you started with 2.xx, you only needed to load EEPROM 4.

The EEPROM upgrades shouldn't have harmed it, but you need to reload the latest 2.xx firmware. Hopefully loading 4.xx firmware didn't damage it.

Where did you get the upgrade files? There's warnings about using 3.xx and 4.xx files on 2.xx units here and on the Rotel website.

Kevin D.
          Thanks Kevin. I got the upgrades directly from the Rotel website. I thought it read that if you want to go from 1.xx to 2.xx or 2.xx to 3.xx, etc you had to upgrade the EEPROM. My system was originally 2.xx. The last EEPROM is 4.x (is that correct). I'll just reload the 2.xx firmware then? Hopefully that's correct if you can just verify.

Thanks...

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Nope, to go to 2.xx from 1.xx you need EEPROM's 1-3. All 2.xx, 3.xx, and 4.xx version have then loaded all ready. Some versions of 2.xx and 3.xx all ready have EEPROM 4 loaded. All 4.xx versions have everything loaded.

So if you started with 2.xx, eeprom 4 was the only one needed if you originally had 2.1.6 or lower.

In any case, loading the latest 2.xx version should fix your problems. 2.xx added software for PLIIx and that's why all 1.xx models could be updated. 3.xx models had a different TFT screen. 4.xx had the different screen and knobs. So it makes since you lost volume control and your TFT is dim when you put 4.xx firmware on it.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"