X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Level calibration on Rotels

In my RSX-1057 the volume control goes from MIN -> 100

At what volume level should i be calibrating to, given the 75db reference to level each speaker???

In other words, is their an optimum gain setting that one should be be referencing from?

I will be using the built-in test tones and also AVIA test disk.

Thanks
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

You should calibrate using a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, such as the analog model available from Radio Shack. (Not to a volume setting on the Rotel.) Set the meter to 'C' weighting, slow, and 70db. Then adjust each speaker level to +5 as read with the meter.
    Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

It will depend on your room and speakers, etc.. Turn it up until the SPL reads what you want on the front left channel, then set all the others to that. If it winds up being some random number (73, 79, etc), you can set it to the nearest '5' (70, 75, etc) and adjust all speakers to the level you want at that volume.

That's the easiest way to know what reference is. Everytime you set it back to that, it will be at reference. Keep in mind Rotel's volume is not a linear db scale. So if you pick volume 75 as reference, volume 55 is not 20db below reference.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
        It will depend on your room and speakers, etc.. Turn it up until the SPL reads what you want on the front left channel, then set all the others to that. If it winds up being some random number (73, 79, etc), you can set it to the nearest '5' (70, 75, etc) and adjust all speakers to the level you want at that volume.

That's the easiest way to know what reference is. Everytime you set it back to that, it will be at reference. Keep in mind Rotel's volume is not a linear db scale. So if you pick volume 75 as reference, volume 55 is not 20db below reference.

Kevin D.

So i guess your saying the volume level is only used for reference on what level Reference is based from. So it could be 70, 75,80 and there is no difference to sound as long as all the levels of each speaker correspond to to this reference sound level. Hope that makes sense!

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by scanido
          So i guess your saying the volume level is only used for reference on what level Reference is based from. So it could be 70, 75,80 and there is no difference to sound as long as all the levels of each speaker correspond to to this reference sound level. Hope that makes sense!
          You got it. The volume level you pick will just be what reference level is in your room.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
            You got it. The volume level you pick will just be what reference level is in your room.

Kevin D.
            And if "reference" level = 75db, is that the level played at the movie theaters, 75db?

I dont recall exactly but I think I set mine (75db) to 75 or perhaps 80 on the dial on my 1068. That is loud! I usually watch movies at around 50, 55-60 Max. 75 or even 80 (75db) on the dial would be way too loud.
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• shadow 8
              • Aug 2004

Again, the dial reading is relative to the efficiency of your speakers and size of your room, and is not directly relevant to the sound levels in the room. 75 db reference on my system with Martin Logan speakers corresponds with a reading of 83 on my 1056. Consequently I generally listen to movies with setting in the low 70s and music in the upper 60s.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Club1820
                And if "reference" level = 75db, is that the level played at the movie theaters, 75db?
                Not exactly, in THX theaters I believe it is supposed to be set to this level but theaters routinely adjust the volume to what the customers prefer.

Reference refers to the maximum volume DVD is capable of. So if set properly, the pre-amp isn't reducing the level or boosting the level. It's as if you had no volume control and the output of the DVD player connected directly to the amp. The test tones are usually set 30db lower then max volume. A theater should be able to hit 105db on the main speakers at max volume, so you set the level at 30db below max volume to 75db. If you room/speakers can even hit 105db or even get higher is a different story.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
                  • Jan 2006

Kev, makes sense. thanks.

But dont ask me to explain it to someone else!
                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                    • Jan 2006

Just thought about something.... what does this mean for listening to music? If we set the sub to 10db higher than the mains, does that mean the bass is then artificially boosted when listening to music as opposed to watching a movie?

Comment

• HiRez
                      • Aug 2007

On my RSP-1098 I could only use the built in test tones when adjusting the individual speaker gain(or loss) from the Test Tone screen. Is there a different screen where I can adjust the gain(loss) for each channel while using an external source ?
                      Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Club1820
                        Just thought about something.... what does this mean for listening to music? If we set the sub to 10db higher than the mains, does that mean the bass is then artificially boosted when listening to music as opposed to watching a movie?
                        Doesn't effect music. There might be a few differences when it's SACD/DVDA or stereo going through a DSP signal, but that's why they give you the individual volumes for different modes. Just to let you tweak it out.

HiRez,

Thats the only page to adjust the settings. You will have to see how far off you are, and then go in and adjust. Repeat until it matches.

Kevin D.

Comment

• HiRez
                          • Aug 2007

Kevin,
                          Thanks for the response.

"...that's why they give you the individual volumes for different modes".
                          On the 1098, I am not familiar with different settings for different modes. Am I missing something? Could you please clarify?
                          Regards

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

You have the test tone menu you have your standard trim level for the subwoofer. On the sub-setup menu you have individual sound modes trims that are added or subtracted to the main level. There's DOLBY, DTS, MUSIC, STEREO and MULTI-IN. You can tweak each mode there.

Kevin D.

Comment

• HiRez
                              • Aug 2007

Thanks for clarifying.
                              Initially I thought you meant settings for each channel for different modes but it is just for the sub.
                              Regards

Comment

• HiRez
                                • Aug 2007

Wouldn't it be a nice feature to seperate DTS for movies and DTS for music ?

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"