X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryM
    • Jan 2008

Multi Channel Rotel Amps vs Haflers.

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever compared Rotel's RMB-1095 to the Hafler amps of the 1970s ad 80s. I currently have a Rotel RSP-1068 mated to Hafler DH-500s for the fronts and rears and a DH-220 configured in mono for the center. The sound quality is fairly good and yes there is plenty of power, I'm driving B&W N804s front N805s rear and HTM1 for the center. My 2 thoughts are 1. Would the newer Rotel designs have better possibly more detailed sound ? 2. Would there be a tremendous sense of lost power going from the Haflers 255 w rms vs the Rotel's 200. My other reasons for even considering this setup change is one of convenience.The Haflers do not have 12v triggers and my attempts to put them on a dedicated power supply such as Monster or APC to perform the on off funtion has always lead to burning out the power relay in the device because of the extreme amount of current inrush to the Haflers. Looking for suggestions? Thanks GM
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

I owned a couple of Hafflers along with Infinity RS 2.5's 20 plus years ago, and from memory, power should be of no concern. I also had a friend that drove 901's with one, and they are work horses.
    Sonically the amp should not have that much of an impact as to be able to change the charecter of the sound. Going from an under powered set up, to one of ample power can net changes, but, all things being equal the reasons listed would not be enough to push me over the edge. (I did also own the 1090, driving quite efficiant speaks).

As far as the power, you could build youreself a 12v triggered switch for the Haffler(s) which would hold up, and not break the bank.

Lots of companys make motor starter contactors which can be had for $80-100 each which would shurely handle the inrush. If the 12v trigger wouldn't supply enough current to driver the contactor, just throw another relay in there and supply the contactor the voltage of your choice, 12vdc, 24vdc, 110vac..............
    And nice aluminum gadget boxes can be had to make it all blend.

Comment

• GaryM
      • Jan 2008

SH Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find all the parts for my trigger-relay project..... It really never ends does it? I think that is why this hobby intrigues me so much.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I agree Gary, the industry provides -something for everybody- and will not let us get borred.
        Getting there is 3/4 of it for me...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"