X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kkanumuri
    • Aug 2004

New to Rotel, Upgrade advice to 1095

I just hooked up my rotel system yesterday. Running a 1068 with a 1075 amp. It was an upgrade from a Denon AVR-3300. I do not beleive the difference in Music this makes. I just realized how much, I am missing out. So, know I want to upgrade everything, as I am in love with this system. Now, this is what I have

Yamaha-S2300
    Rotel 1068 Processor
    Rtoel 1075 AMP
    Boston VR 965 Mains

Now I would like to upgrade to 1095 and add maybe Axiom or B&W speakers. Would I see more improvement here? Any feedback would be appreciated, because I am no expert but like good music & movies.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats and glad to hear your enjoying the new gear. Speakers are probably one of the biggest changes you can make in a system so in short, yes. However make sure you check out a large assortment of brands/models to make sure you're getting the best speakers for you. That way they'll last you many years

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Bill Blank
      • Sep 2002

I agree. You'll notice a bigger difference in sound by upgrading your speakers vs. upgrading your amp. Speakers have make the biggest difference in the sound you hear so take your time to find ones that you like.

Bill

Comment

• kkanumuri
        • Aug 2004

Looks like I am leaning in the directions of the speakers as well. Does anyone have an idea of a short list I should look at I do not even know where to start. The one thing I know, is that I need a small footprint. My wife would not approve of anyting too big.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well a budget would be helpful, otherwise I'll start with B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Sonus Faber, Tannoy, Totem, Vienna Acosutics... probably missed something there but it's a start Also I'm going to move this to the HT area as it's not really Rotel specific and you'll likely get more responses.

Also check out this thread to see what speakers other Club Rotel members are using.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• number17
            • Jul 2004

I looked at the Energy Encores, the B&W 303/ 602's, the Polk Audio and PSB Image series speakers .... I was VERY close to getting the B&W 303 / 602's ... I liked the Energy Encores for movies but for listening to music they are lacking in terms of depth and resolution ... which is kindda expected considering the tiny size of those speakers. The B&W's offered a better compromise.

But then I saw a set of the discontinued JM Lab Chorus (2 x 715, 2 x 705, CC700 and SW700 for the sub) on clearance sale. The set had an MSRP of $3.8k Cdn but I was able to get the set for $2.1k after tax in the end. The CC700 is on par with competition, and I'd actually take the B&W 303's over the JM Lab 705's, but the 715 tower speakers made the biggest difference. The 715's are amazing for listening to music, and also very good for movies.

It would've costed me the same for a set of B&W 300 series (5+1) plus a couple speaker stands ... the JM Lab Chorus set became a no-brainer.

I don't know if you can find the JM Lab 715's that easily because they have been discontinued. (replaced by 716) If not, definitely check out the B&W's ... I think they offer a lot for the $$ in that price range. I am not a big fan of entry level "big-name" speakers but the B&W's definitely impressed me.

I also agree it's worthwhile to spend more $$ on the speakers than on receiver / amps. Speakers tend to last a much longer time while technology changes quickly for receivers / amps. Furthermore I always think speakers make a bigger difference in the HT system than amps ....

In fact, I'd recommend going the route of getting used equipment for receiver / amp ... I am in fact going down that path.

my2cents,
            number17

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

First let me say I'll say amps are actually the next thing that will last a long time in your system. If you get good amps/speakers they should both last you a long time. I do agree processing and sources will change frequently and typically only last 3-5 years. That is why you can buy used amps without much worry and sometimes for very good deals.

Also, comparing Energy Encores to $3800 speakers is a bit of a stretch. Try comparing the Connoisseur or Veritas lines

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• number17
                • Jul 2004

No I completely agree. I guess I was lucky that I just found a set of discontinued JM Lab Chorus available at that price (well, still $500 more than the encores) but otherwise these speakers aren't really in the same range.

And I do like the Encores ... they're amazing for movies given the price range. That said I thought the B&W had more depth for music. It's a coin toss really.

Speaking of used receivers, I'm down to the Marantz 5400, the Yamaha RX-V1400 and the Denon 1804.

Out of all 3 receivers I like the Marantz ... the Denon is a demo though (not really 'used' equipment) and still has 2 years warranty on it. The Yamaha is the only THX-Select receiver in this price range. I was not a big fan of Denon ... I always thought while they're fine for music they sound a little bright when watching movies ... the dialogues really pop up ... which some ppl actually like but I don't. I have never listened to the Yamaha. What do you guys think?

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I've always like Yamaha, Denon and HK for "mainstream" receivers.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Bill Blank
                    • Sep 2002

I'll say tackeling your room acoustics is the second biggest change you could make to your system and slide amplification to third with source as a follow-up 4th.

Bill

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

The Yamaha 1400 has gotten excellent reviews ( being a previous Yamaha owner, I am somewhat partial). My brother-in-law just purchased a Denon 1804 and I have enjoyed his system thusfar, despite having to take it back to the retailer due to a soldering defect, he received a new one without any issues at this point, (a thought to consider). I am uncertain about Marantz equipment, but I hear it does well for the money.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• kkanumuri
                        • Aug 2004

Room Acoustics

How do you tackle room acoustics. I guess you are stuck with pretty much whatever you have right?

Comment

• number17
                          • Jul 2004

I never really liked Yamaha's before ... I always thought they give you lots of gimmicky functions but musically they're not as solid as the denon's or the marantz ... it seems like there're a lot of good reviews on the 1400 though, so maybe I should give it a listen.

My friend has a Denon 2803 and I don't know if it's the amp or the speakers but his system is a little on the bright side, especially when watching movies. The dialogues really pop out and that's not my cup of tea. Other than that I think Denon's very solid.

His 2803 did have a problem with the power supply though and needed to be sent back for repair, while he was without an amp for those 2 weeks. So it seems like new denon may have quality issues from time to times?

I have listened to marantz and while it lacks the gimmicky features others have at the same price range, I think their sound is the most favorable IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"