X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweiss42
    • Oct 2007

RSX-1056/RB-1080 Questions

Hi I just joined. I have a RSX-1056 and use it in a 5 channel system. It drives B&W 703s for the front mains. I thought I needed a little more power to drive the front speakers and got a rb-1080. I thought going from 75W->200W would make it sound better and for some of the music I play allot "louder". It does sound better but not much louder at the same volume level i.e. 55 sounds about the same level of loudness. Is something wrong?

Also a weird thing, the CD player worked ok on the 1056 but when I hooked up the 1080 there is a loud 60hz hum. The optical connection is ok? Why would I get hum with the 1080 and not with just the 1056.

Any advice??

thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

More power does not equal louder volume. Common misconception. For a normal volume level, 1 watt should be as loud as 1000 watts if both amps have their input levels adjusted.

What more wattage gives you is less distortion at higher volume levels and during peak dynamic passages. The 75 watts will play as loud, but the distortion levels increase to the point you're no longer listening to just the music. After playing with a lot of McIntosh gear with the meters on the front, you would be surprised how rare it is for the meter to swing past 50 or 100 watts. Another side effect is that bigger amps are typically built better and will sound better at all volume levels.

As far as the ground loop hum, it's most likely that the 1080's ground plug has allowed a ground issue to present itself through the speakers.

Quick answer is to put a 2-3 prong cheater plug on the cable until you can find out what's going on. What all is connected to the system? If you have cable/dss, try unpugging the feed line. That's a common place to check first.

Kevin D.

Comment

• sweiss42
      • Oct 2007

Thank you!!

Thanks Kevin, your a genius!!!!

I did what you suggested... The speakers have come to life and I am in love with my stereo again..

Much appreciated.

Regards,
      Steve

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"