X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Rotel RSP-1098 vs Meridian 568 Processor

Hi All,

I've got a choice between these two great processors. Has anyone compared the two? I feel the Meridian design age is around the Rotel's, but it also has superior build and sound quality.

What do you guys think? Has anyone compared them?

Cheers

Nick
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I've not compared the RSP-1098 and the 568 but I know both pieces very well. I currently own a 565 and have had an RSP-1068 at home recently. The RSP-1068 held it's own as far as a preamp goes, but the 565 is still a better surround processor. The 568 is much stronger than the 565 in both areas. As much as I am a fan of Rotel, the 568 is a better sounding preamp and a better surround processor than the RSP-1098. The RSP-1098 is a better sounding preamp than the RSP-1068 but it still does not match the 568. Considering the 568 was $6500.00 US and the RSP-1098 is $3000.00 US the 568 should be better.

One thing to keep in mind however is the 568 does not have a large selection of inputs (no video and just two analog and three digital inputs) you have to make sure it will fit into your system.

Eric

Comment

• shadow 8
      • Aug 2004

How do you set up channel levesl and other settings on the Meridian w/o a video output to your monitor?

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

It's called the display on the front of the unit...

Which (I think) looks like something from the 80's Atari era. :rofl:

I just have such a time purchasing something like that (even with how good it sounds) and it not having much style or functionality to it.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Yes it is done using the front panel mainly. There is a video pass thru for an on screen display but no video switching. The on screen display is a little odd in that you need to feed a signal into it before it will show up on a TV. Since the on screen will do NTSC and PAL, it has to sync up to a signal to know which format to use. Because of that I just use the front panel. It works well enough for the very few times I need it.

Eric

Comment

• calmac
            • May 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
            It's called the display on the front of the unit...

Which (I think) looks like something from the 80's Atari era. :rofl:

I just have such a time purchasing something like that (even with how good it sounds) and it not having much style or functionality to it.
            Meridian gear not having much style , well that's a first.In a world filled with bland black boxes , Meridian is known almost as much for it's style as it's quality.
            Remember these are older Meridian pre amps but they are really designed for the type of customer who demands top sound quality and is willing to forego the ultimate in connectivity in pursuit of that.These products are not aimed at the type of customer who would be looking at a full featured AVR so much as the consumer who understands what great sound quality is.
            Gordon

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Preample

Hi,

How much I was Meriadian is sure much better as Rotel 1098.

The Rotel is "squach", limited possibity and now overpassed....

(Hei I like ROTEL but the 1098 MUST be repplaced)

Greetings from Switzerland
              Omar

Comment

• shadow 8
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by style
                Hi,

How much I was Meriadian is sure much better as Rotel 1098.

The Rotel is "squach", limited possibity and now overpassed....

(Hei I like ROTEL but the 1098 MUST be repplaced)

Greetings from Switzerland
                Omar
                Huh? You may want to rephrase this for clarity.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

@shadow 8,

The rotel 1098 is a good preampli. Ok, but the 1098 are not to the height of the Meridian.

I like Rotel but in this moment the Rsp1068 and 1098 are surpasses and overpriced.
                  (i have you too a Rsp1068 but if I buy a new surround processor is sure not the Rotel 1098. (no xlr,no scaler, no hdmi, and, and,..)

This problem is not only a Rotel problem: Classè, Parasound &Co. make a super gear fotr the sound but the video is not "on board")
                  first: Buy a Classè,Parasound, or what do you want
                  second: buy a separat scaler (like Cristallo, DVDO, Cinemateq,..

So you can have a QUALITY IN SOUND AND VIDEO!
                  Not so expensive?:
                  Anthem D2 really good and brilliant scaler inside (gennum processor), hdmi,
                  xlr,.... all in one.

Omar

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"