X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Which processor would you use?

Hi,

I have the B&W 803s/805s/HTM3s and currently looking for a new processor and power amp to replace my HK AVR5550.

I found 2 that look quite good,

Integra research RDC 7
    Audioholics found the Integra Research RDC-7 to be a powerful, refined processor fully capable of satisfying the audiophile in all of us. Check out our full review of the Integra RDC-7.

OR

Meridian 568

Also I found a nice power amp, but its only 120 wpc.

Bryston 9B THX
    Bright April Sunday sunshine beams through the bay window of my listening room. The light catches four loudspeakers on stands, two stacks of electronic equipment, a small video monitor, black cables strung behind furniture, and a pile of freshly opened DVDs. I sit in the center in a large, overstuffed chair covered in blue velvet, listening to an array of six loudspeakers and a TV monitor playing The Haunting's DTS soundtrack. The floor rumbles as the sounds of creaking timbers come up from below.

What do you think of the pocessors? and the power amp?
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Processor: For that much money you can buy an RSP 1098 which will blow the integra away hands down. An RSP 1068 will also be better (in some areas) for less money.
    Amplification: for the money you will spend on a brystone 9B you can definitely buy a RMB 1095 which has 200Wx5 and has the same fidelity.
    Thus with Rotel components you can buy a ton more power (with the same amplification fidelity) and a much better PRE/PRO for the same money.

To get stuff significantly better than the Rotels you will have to spend usally twice the amount of money. In their price range nothing comes close.

Of the sytems around here that I find fantastic is this one:
    Hi, One of the most popular threads in Club Rotel is an area where members can post pictures of their Rotel equipment... I thought - why not :banana: join the party in our own club! So let’s use this thread to post pictures of any aspect of your B&W setups that you've all invested so much energy in! Some examples might

Although the fellow has spent a large chunk of cash on amplification for his stereo system, note his HT system.

more info:

We take a close look at the Rotel RMB-1095 Amplifier. This 200 watt five-channel amp is put through its paces to see how it performs even under the most demanding home theater requirements.

Home Theater Systems and Audio Components | Audio Visual Equipment Product Reviews, Technical AV Guides, Home Theater Equipment and Product Reviews
    Last edited by WI Rotel; 10 September 2006, 17:43 Sunday.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

The 9BSST is underrated. Each comes with a bench test report and the ones I've seen are well above 150WPC. Besides, these wattage differences are minor. 200 is less than 3dB more than 120 and power supply/headroom issues are more significant.

That said, although I bought the 9B I reviewed, the NAD is a nice amp, too.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

the 9b is a nice amp and heavy as

i too was concerned about the power rating but believe me those figures are very conservative - the test card inside the box is likely to show bench tests in excess of 150 watts per channel and lets not forget that these are like monoblocks as you can specify less channels on a 9b and add them as you need them.

good luck

julie
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Jesse111
          • Jul 2005

Nick,

I use the Integra Research 7.1 and RDV 1.1 for 2 channel only. And I can tell you it is more musical, detailed and articulate with useable features than anything I've ever heard. That includes Sim Audio moon series, McIntosh, Sunfire, Rotel, Opera audio and Classe. I have not owned Meridian equipment.
          All those companies are wonderful. That is just my opinion.

But I'd like to say that I was very happy to see IR on your short list. Consider it very seriously. With names like Apogee, Lucas, BAT and Onkio participating in the development of IR equipment, it is worth considering.

IntegraResearch.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Comment

• fauzigarib
            • Aug 2006

Processor opinions

Originally posted by nick.h
            Hi,

I have the B&W 803s/805s/HTM3s and currently looking for a new processor and power amp to replace my HK AVR5550.

I found 2 that look quite good,

Integra research RDC 7
            Audioholics found the Integra Research RDC-7 to be a powerful, refined processor fully capable of satisfying the audiophile in all of us. Check out our full review of the Integra RDC-7.

OR

Meridian 568

Also I found a nice power amp, but its only 120 wpc.

Bryston 9B THX
            Bright April Sunday sunshine beams through the bay window of my listening room. The light catches four loudspeakers on stands, two stacks of electronic equipment, a small video monitor, black cables strung behind furniture, and a pile of freshly opened DVDs. I sit in the center in a large, overstuffed chair covered in blue velvet, listening to an array of six loudspeakers and a TV monitor playing The Haunting's DTS soundtrack. The floor rumbles as the sounds of creaking timbers come up from below.

What do you think of the pocessors? and the power amp?
            Nick!

Nice, you seem to be researching a ton of really good equipment. This part is enjoyment on its own, no?

I fail to see why people don't involve Lexicon in their searches when they include Meridien. I studied processors inside and out about 2 years ago when I was buying mine and ended up spending a good amount of money and about six months of my life reading, listening, auditioning...

In the end, it boiled down to two very close choices: Meridien 568.2 and the Lexicon MC-8 (Sorry, no experience with the Integra to have shortlisted those also).

You see, in my experience, getting both "musicalness" and effective surround decoding is a very difficult task. I was not able to find it in ANY of the medium range processors that I did check out, including Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Rotel... I'm talking all of their top end models. Most of them were pretty decent decoders / processors, but I would not touch them with a ten foot pole to play music on, save for Rotel. That was good for the price, but didn't have the flexibility in surround sound that the Meridien and Lexicon displayed. (Please, no flame wars, it probably has to do with my room, or speakers).

Nick, I ended up going with the Lexicon MC-8 for two main reasons. a) I got a really good deal as a cousin of mine is the dealer for it. But that was secondary, as I had set the budget out and was ready to spend all of it. The main reason was b) the Lexicon is a VERY powerful, and EXTREMELY user friendly product. It has tons of flexibility in areas such as bass management, auto calibration, channel steering, etc. But in the end, I just was stunned by how good Logic 7 sounds in movies and music.

Logic 7 is a totally immersive experience, unlike ANY processor that I have owned in the past. I've always been left with a feeling of wondering what the heck people were talking about when they said that they felt totally surrounded by the sound information from their HT setup. After I got the Lex set up, I really found out what owning an HT really means.

Nick, I really really suggest you try out the Lex. Especially, these days, if HD is not a big issue for you, you should really consider the top of the line MC-12. They used to retail for $12k, but can now be had as low as 1/3 that price ifyou look hard enough. It's an amazing amazing processor, and you just won't be sorry.

Either way, good luck... I'l like to know what you end up deciding.

Fauzi

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Folks, I am going to move this to the Audio Hideout thread since it is not a specific B&W topic. We have to remember that there is life outside of club B&W. :W
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• fauzigarib
                • Aug 2006

Life, Schmife!!

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                Folks, I am going to move this to the Audio Hideout thread since it is not a specific B&W topic. We have to remember that there is life outside of club B&W. :W
                Soundgravy,

You're so right... I'm living it... Don't have B&W's yet.. and hating it.

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Fauzi

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

I agree with WI Rotel with regards to the Rotel 1098 Pre/Pro: For the money you can't get better ,unless you want to spend more than double what you would pay for the gear you have stated above ,such as the Integra,Bryston or Meridian. The 1098 will blow all these gear you mentioned of the map ,then add to that a Rotel 1095 Amp which is 200X5 watts per channel as WI Rotel suggested ,and you probably would have the best Music/HT at the best price and probably still kick most of the top expensive gear In any market with any brand at whatever price. Rotel has top end gear for less $$$ that is the truth and not a myth!!!
                  If you have the Cash go for Krell or the Mac's, but you'll only get 5% improvement for triple the money you would have spent for Rotel equipment . At the end of the day, it is your money and your ears that will determine your choice,so it will be your judgement, but for your information ,more expensive does NOT make it a better product.
                  My 2 cents,
                  Cheers

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

FWIW, I'd recommend an Anthem. And yes, I have one, and yes I compared to Rotel in my system.
                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Jesse111
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                      Processor: For that much money you can buy an RSP 1098 which will blow the integra away hands down. An RSP 1068 will also be better (in some areas) for less money.
                      [/url]
                      No doubt you are speaking from experience and have audition/owned both like I have for extended periods of time? Rotel stuff is very good. Some may like it more than Integra Research. But please qualify your comment with your detailed experience using Integra Research and comparing it to Rotel.

Specs don't tell the whole story, but can help show the quality of components to a certain degree. It certainly is all about sound, but if you compare specs Rotel hardly "blows away" anything, much less Integra Research. Check it out.

Additionally, does the 1098 have balanced outputs? How about AES/EBU Input for High End CD/DVD Transports? Does it have iLink (firewire) for total bass managment with high def formats if Nick should want it? Just curious. How about that signal to noise ratio as compared to Integra Research? Rotel 92-95db to Integra 110?

IR uses Apogee master clock technology and uses top grade 192 kHz/24-bit Wolfson DACs on all channels. What does Rotel use?

In what ways, based on your first hand experience, does Rotel "blow away" Integra Research?

Inquiring minds want to know.
                      Last edited by Jesse111; 12 September 2006, 18:30 Tuesday.

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                        Soundgravy,

You're so right... I'm living it... Don't have B&W's yet.. and hating it.

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Fauzi

All in Good time Fauzi, all in good time........ :P
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Razvan
                          • Jan 2002

I too recommend Integra Research but the newer RDC-7.1 and not the RDC-7. The RDC-7 went out of production two years ago and it is dated. The RDC-7.1 has a lot more features and it sounds better too - new Wolfson DAC's, better bass management ( I've owned both units).

During the past 2 years or so I had at home the Rotel 1098, the Anthem D1, and the Integra Research RDC-7 and RDC-7.1. Sound wise I liked the RDC-7.1 the most, followed by the Anthem D1, the RDC-7, and the Rotel ( a distant fourth).

R

Comment

• fauzigarib
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
                            In what ways, based on your first hand experience, does Rotel "blow away" Integra Research?

Inquiring minds want to know.
                            Jesse!!

I LOVE IT!!!

I don't expect you'll see a reply to this anytime soon. Fact of the case is that IR makes a fantastic product that can be pushed and supported on paper as well as in practice!

Well said!

-Fauzi

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

WI Rotel,
                              I think I'll unleash you on Jesse 111 this time, and if you don't answer him I will.
                              WI Rotel you are great at supporting the Rotel name so have a feast on this one buddy!!! I'll do the job for you but you express yourself way better than me so please enjoy this thread!!
                              Have a nice day WI Rotel and hope Jesse gets a kick out of your comments,
                              Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Jesse111
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by chinets
                                WI Rotel,
                                I think I'll unleash you on Jesse 111 this time, and if you don't answer him I will.
                                WI Rotel you are great at supporting the Rotel name so have a feast on this one buddy!!! I'll do the job for you but you express yourself way better than me so please enjoy this thread!!
                                Have a nice day WI Rotel and hope Jesse gets a kick out of your comments,
                                Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

A feast? Unleash? Perhaps emotional responses like that are simply not necessary. I'd just like to know if those who make explosive, global statements like "blow away" have acutally done proper comparisons with the time needed.

By your comments "to do the job" on me, it appears you must also have extensive time invested in the comparison between Integra Research and Rotel. Would you like to share? This member is looking for good advice as to what processor to purchase. Do you have some information based on first hand experience that will help?

Should your comments be designed for me to get a "kick" out of? Or, should they be designed to help Nick? I'm just trying to help this member come to an informed, quality decision based on facts and first hand experience not just inflamitory global statements. I would never say IR blows away Rotel. If you prefer Rotel, is it possible to express that personal viewpoint without slamming other peoples beloved equipment that you've never owned or prehaps have never even auditoned in your system?

Please note, to quote myself from my earlier post regarding Rotel I said "All those companies are wonderful. That is just my opinion."

I just happen to like IR better and feel the stats are relevant to help Nick decide. However, I do need to note an error on my part. I am referring to the 7.1 not the 7.0 that Nick is considering. Razvan has clarified very well and is in an excellent position to comment because he has acutally had all three in his home.
                                Last edited by Jesse111; 13 September 2006, 14:01 Wednesday.

Comment

• wolfgang
                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                                  Jesse!!

I LOVE IT!!!

I don't expect you'll see a reply to this anytime soon. Fact of the case is that IR makes a fantastic product that can be pushed and supported on paper as well as in practice!

Well said!

-Fauzi
                                  Since you think you know the answer what is it on paper that suggest IR product will be better then?

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Keep it civil folks. You aren't in Club Rotel.

HTG Administrator

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
                                      Keep it civil folks. You aren't in Club Rotel.

HTG Administrator
                                      Actually I think it was moved from Club B&W : :B
                                      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Club schlmub. Smells like childishness to me.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                          • Aug 2006

Better?

Originally posted by wolfgang
                                          Since you think you know the answer what is it on paper that suggest IR product will be better then?
                                          Wolfgang,

I never said better... Honestly, I don't know the product enough to know if it's better or worse than ANY other product in his list.

I just remember going through the feature list and being quite impressed. So when I say "on paper", all I really mean is that for the money, you get a TON of features. That's all.

For the record, I think Rotel makes a fantastic product. I just don't believe it's the be all end all of products.

Here's something to ponder... Is it possible... just possible that an amplifier, say for argument's sake, the 1080... Is it at all possible that in some setups, even though the speaker is considered amazing, and the amp's considered amazing, and the cables are amazing, and the interconnects are amazing... is it possible for that system to sound like mud? Is it possible that there is just no synergy between the speaker and the amps? If so, I think you'd be hard pressed to convince that person that the 1080 is an amazing amp.

Just a matter of views and experiences, guys.

Chinet, sorry i didn't get a chance to update you about Karim. I'll send you a pm later on in the day and let you know.. been chatting with him. Thanks,

Later,

Fauzi

Comment

• Jesse111
                                            • Jul 2005

Nick, when it comes to amps, I've never heard Integra Research but that would be another serious one to look at. Anything that Victor Khomenko at B.A.T. has his fingers in would be worth serious consideration. I'm a McIntosh guy myself. Have you considered them?

Comment

• wolfgang
                                              • Jul 2006

Thanks for the reply. The lastest Lexicon toys look very impressive. If the Lexicon prices were not so inflated in UK, I would have considered one years ago when I was looking for a processor to replace my stereo preamp.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                • Jul 2006

Thanks for the reply. The lastest Lexicon toys look very impressive. If the Lexicon prices were not so inflated in UK, I would have considered one years ago when I was looking for a processor to replace my stereo preamp.
                                                Sorry for the late reply, the 1098 doesn't have balanced outputs, the RMB 1095 does have balanced inputs but its not a truely balanced amplifier. Personally imo balanced design offers no audible advantages, it is simply a simpler connection and amplifier matching system for multiamplifier systems.

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                  • Aug 2006

Wolfgang,

Thanks for not taking what I had said incorrectly. I don't mean anything by it at all.

Regarding Lexicon, it's interesting how the HD / Bluray battle has affected other in the audio industry also. Lexicon is a prime example. Getting caught in the middle, they were waiting to offer HDMI support in their units. As such, when they finally did offer it in a new unit altogether (as opposed to a hardware upgrade), a TON of MC-12's have shown up on audiogon for dirt cheap prices. And when I say dirt cheap, I mean I saw on the other day for US$ 3,500... That's less than I paid for my brand new MC-8. The new MC-12's go for 12,000.

Some good deals to be had!

Later,

Fauzi

Comment

• chinets
                                                    • Jun 2005

Sorry Jesse 111, I own a lot of gear from Krell, LINN, Arcam, Marantz, Yamaha, Mac, B&W,Bryston and yes Rotel.
                                                    I hate Rotel Bashers, therefore, there went my attitude!!!!
                                                    I hate people who put other people's equipment down just because they don't like it ,or don't have it!!
                                                    Again sorry Jesse 111 for coming down on you so strong!!
                                                    Please accept my humble appology....Thanks in advance!!
                                                    reagrds,
                                                    Chinets

Comment

• Razvan
                                                      • Jan 2002

I use the Integra Research 7.1 and RDV 1.1 for 2 channel only. And I can tell you it is more musical, detailed and articulate with useable features than anything I've ever heard.
                                                      If you like them so much why are you selling them on eBay? Items 160032741530 and 160032738770.

R

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

:roll: I think we can do without the personal attacks, people.
                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• chinets
                                                          • Jun 2005

Chris D,
                                                          That is why the apology!!!
                                                          Did you read the thread?
                                                          No personal attacks here my friend!!
                                                          Read the thread and you will see the flow of the argument.
                                                          We are all civiized here and apology due is an apology due!! No More No Less!!
                                                          Thanks Chris..............
                                                          Cheers
                                                          Last edited by Chris D; 02 February 2007, 23:58 Friday.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Razvan
                                                            If you like them so much why are you selling them on eBay? Items 160032741530 and 160032738770.

R
                                                            Are you stalking me? 8O

Thanks for helping to promote my Ebay items on HTGuide.

It's kinda of like owning a Corvette and having a chance to trade up for a Farrari. Purchasing a Farrari doesn't mean I don't like Corvettes...but would you pass up a Farrari for a Corvette? Not me brother!

Besides, any self respecting "audiophile" must by all means keep at least one Visa card maxed out at all times. :P

McIntosh MCD/MDA is my Farrari. But I would have no problem at all using the MCD1000 with the Integra Research RDC 7.1 DAC's. None at all. I just decided to take the plunge in the deep end. Just having a little fun.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by chinets
                                                              We are all civiized here Cheers
                                                              Yes indeed and good examples like you contribute to the level of enjoyment.

Chinets, I appreciated your PM, it was more than kind and made things right. This public apology was not necessary for me but it certainly reflects your integrity and concience and is appreciated just the same. I am guilty of off balance and opinionated remarks as well. Who isn't? I will follow your example the next time I misspeak. Good to have quality folks in these forums like you. :T

Comment

• Razvan
                                                                • Jan 2002

It's kinda of like owning a Corvette and having a chance to trade up for a Farrari. Purchasing a Farrari doesn't mean I don't like Corvettes...but would you pass up a Farrari for a Corvette? Not me brother!
                                                                Sorry but I've no idea what a Farrari is.

R

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Razvan
                                                                  Sorry but I've no idea what a Farrari is.

R
                                                                  I'm not sure if that is a joke or not. But just in case it's not...

All the official Ferrari brand content: dedicated websites for our cars, sporting activities and official products from the Store

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Jesse, are you ditching your HT system?
                                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                      Jesse, are you ditching your HT system?
                                                                      Actually I never had a home theater room. I've owned Integra Research gear because I just really like there sound, quality and features for the money. So with all that surround capability I only used it for 2 channel. But owning this Mac gear has always been a great desire of mine so now that the opportunity has come, I'm all over it. I do watch a movie now and then though. I have my 45 inch LCD on wheels and just roll it to the front of my room then roll it back out of the way when I'm through. All sound always in 2 channel. I'm just not that interested in movies. But someone is going to get some extremely nice IR gear at a great price.

Pictures? You bet. My new ladies should be in next week. I'll have them installed 30 minutes after I get them home. Pics will be in the forum 30 minutes after that.

Have you seen the new Mac projector? It's only 30 thousand dollars. I think I'll pick up a couple of em. One for my main room, maybe another for my bedroom. 8O

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Have you seen the new Mac projector? It's only 30 thousand dollars. I think I'll pick up a couple of em. One for my main room, maybe another for my bedroom. 8O
                                                                        I am not sure but I did get to sample their new prototype center channel a few months back. We have one of the largest McIntosh dealers in the world and I received a private invitation to visit their new showroom sporting an all Mac HT system totaling almost $500K! My attention was taken by the speakers and electronics so I never bothered to inquire about the screen. Oops! 8O

Anyway, I've been told that an all out Mac system mixed with B&W speakers makes for a superb setup. I wish I could hear the combination for myself. Until that day enjoy one on me! :T
                                                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                          My attention was taken by the speakers and electronics

Anyway, I've been told that an all out Mac system mixed with B&W speakers makes for a superb setup. I wish I could hear the combination for myself. Until that day enjoy one on me! :T
                                                                          If you're every near the coast of NC stop in and I'll let you check out and all MAC/800D 2 channel.

Hard to imagine a center channel MSRP of 20K. But I'd love to hear a half million dollar Mac system. :E

Masterlu over at AudioKarma has the sickest Mac system I've ever heard of, over 600k. The dude is loaded and loves Mac. His system is going to be featured in Home Theater Magazine. I've never heard any of the Mac speakers. All those drivers appear to be a world away for the B&W's technological direction. What is your opinion as to how they compare to the 800 series sound?

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"